Rattlesnake!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was doing some experimentation with the jig, yesterday. I went out to the Big Lost, which was bone-dry. I hauled 200 gallons of water with me, so that wasn't a problem. I backed the truck up as close to the river?, as I could get. After doing the jig work (videos later), I was sitting in the truck waiting for dark, so I could do some UV light prospecting in the river. I looked up, about 5:00PM, and right in the two-track a rattlesnake is crawling across the road. I got some decent video, but after he went under a sagebrush and coiled-up, I took this pic. The snake was about 3' long...just a typical rattler for our area. It's probably either a Great Basin, or Prairie rattler. After about 20 minutes he uncoiled and went on up the hill. Never did rattle much.
Rattlesnake2.JPG

Upvote 0

carnet56

Jan 28, 2013
laurens south carolina
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
uv

I was doing some experimentation with the jig, yesterday. I went out to the Big Lost, which was bone-dry. I hauled 200 gallons of water with me, so that wasn't a problem. I backed the truck up as close to the river?, as I could get. After doing the jig work (videos later), I was sitting in the truck waiting for dark, so I could do some UV light prospecting in the river. I looked up, about 5:00PM, and right in the two-track a rattlesnake is crawling across the road. I got some decent video, but after he went under a sagebrush and coiled-up, I took this pic. The snake was about 3' long...just a typical rattler for our area. It's probably either a Great Basin, or Prairie rattler. After about 20 minutes he uncoiled and went on up the hill. Never did rattle much.
View attachment 1051614

you said you were going do some uv lighting what was you looking for gems

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you said you were going do some uv lighting what was you looking for gems
Yeah...I've just recently taken up the UV light as a prospecting tool. Found lots of fluorescent stuff, but no gems, so far. Last night, I found several pieces of chalcedony quartz that fluoresces jade green under LW, and very bright apple green under SW. Lots of that in both Wyoming and Idaho. The green is activated by uranium in the quartz. There's also lots of yellows in both states.
The jig work I was doing was for gold, which is present in that part of the Big Lost, but in small quantities, and very fine flour in character.
Jim

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
View attachment 1051614
pan fried or put over a campfire with some garlic butter sounds nice!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pan fried or put over a campfire with some garlic butter sounds nice!

Last time I fried up a rattler it was so nasty that my buddy's dog even spit it out..
green.gif~original

Jim, unfortunately your camera focused on the bright shrubs in front of the snake,
but I was able to pull it out a bit..

Rattlesnake2-2.jpg

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah...it's almost impossible to get that focus inside a hole like that. Especially from 8' away using the zoom....LOL. Hard to watch the viewfinder and the snake at the same time. Thanks. I've got some video on it, too. Haven't had time to put it up on my YouTube channel.
Jim

S

stefen

Have had rattler twice and it tastes like snake...

Both times prepared by a trail chef...

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Off with their heads!!!"
Naaah....you can't kill them all, and if that's the case, no sense killing any. I DO kill them if I have kids or pets with me, but I know enough not to take pets when the temps are nearly perfect for snakes to be out and about.....like the month of September around here. Most of the summer the snakes are not out during the hot part of the day. Not so in Sept., and early Oct. You can run into one any time.
Jim

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bingo! If they are in the garage getting cozy with your slippers is one thing. Observing their beauty in nature is another!

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Folks need to remember that rattlers are a serious predator when
it comes to holding down rodent populations. Mice, rats, etc. carry
fleas and ticks with some rather nasty diseases to spread, and a
couple hungry rattlers can put the hurt on 'em.

Very few reasons to ever kill a rattler..maybe if it's in your camp and
can't be relocated safely, or you have small children or pets about.
Otherwise just get a long stick to pick 'em up and move them away
from your area.

If out in the field you can easily walk around them, or if he's dead
square in the middle of a trail get a long stick and encourage it
to go elsewhere while you pass. In my experience the only reason
a rattler would strike a human is if you step on it, or get too close
and it feels it has no way to escape. It's a lot more afraid of you than
you are of it.

Be smart: Wear snake gators in snake country, keep your eyes and
ears open and everyone gets along just fine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread