Busted @ Ruck-a-Chuck Middle Fork Camp. Community input please?

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weekend started out nice as I arrived at Rucky Chucky on the Middle Fork American and met up with a couple of my good prospector friends... Until...
Ruck-a-Bust1.jpg
The tide came up quick as it does prior to the rafters taking their run through, and we waved and chatted with them as they rafted by. finally as the rafters finished I noticed a green colored raft pull up to the bank a little ways from where we were working. I paid little attention until I came up from panning out some pay dirt to see my friend being told to gather up his stuff and get the hell out of there! The 3 Rafting Rangers had come on land to check us out. Once they had departed my friend showed me that he had been served with a ticket for defacing State property; the charge was "Rock Hounding" this offense caries between $10.00 to $1,000.00 depending on the judge I guess...
Ruck-a-Bust2.jpg
This was mostly due to having small garden shovels and pry-bars. as the Ranger said "you should know the rules going into the park - hands and pans only"
My question to all of you is - have I been doing this all wrong? Is it time to call it quits? Without some of my scrapper tools I would have not gotten any gold this year at all. Does anyone else use a shovel, pry-bar, sucker bottle, spoon - knife etc... to get into the cracks? I guess it's all illegal???
Please respond with what is in your Gold Bag, and any other thoughts on what this ticket means. Thank you!
:unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty easy for them to sneak up on you when they're floating down the river on a raft. Same guys on the same river did the same to me but I was only sniping and didn't have any tools out or even a pan so they didn't have much to say to me and I didn't get a ticket. I had my head down in the water waving gravel around when they floated up next to me and parked their raft. They didn't make a peep until they were right on me.. Told me not to harm any plants or rocks because they're protected. Should have put a small hole in their raft.. Hehe ;) As they pushed off again my buddy who was with me yelled "Don't fall in!" I think they only do their little raft patrols on weekends so if anyone wants to avoid them go during weekdays if possible or prospect in an area where it's impossible for them to stop.

Indiana has the same rule in state parks, it's a major hassle. There's a gold bearing stream running right through a state park near me, and I can't even pan there because of the environazi DNR cops there.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Indiana has the same rule in state parks, it's a major hassle. There's a gold bearing stream running right through a state park near me, and I can't even pan there because of the environazi DNR cops there.

Try to find who owns the land just outside the park and get their permission to pan the stream. It just might work. :)

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I actually called the Auburn State Rec area office to find out if I needed a permit, I told the lady that I was using a sluice box and panning, She said that I didn't need any type of permit, the rules apply to large operations, I'm going to assume that she knew I was going to use a shovel etc.
One part of the American (South Fork) there is no digging allowed on land, but with the river so low it didn't matter
Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread