Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Finding gold in the San Juans Colorado where it was and ideas for finding new spots

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    La Plata, nm
    Gold stinger
    98 times
    Sluicing,panning, treasure hunting
    I have seen load gold and it's usually in a rusty quartz crystal. Given enough time it would erode out and turn to flour gold, that being said I have also seen specimen gold from these mountains that have some large enough gold to make placer if given long enough to erode. But I would love to find some load gold also, doesn't really matter how I find it as long as I find some!

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmentman View Post
    I have seen load gold and it's usually in a rusty quartz crystal. Given enough time it would erode out and turn to flour gold, that being said I have also seen specimen gold from these mountains that have some large enough gold to make placer if given long enough to erode. But I would love to find some load gold also, doesn't really matter how I find it as long as I find some!
    If your search includes google (it should), it may help to spell it correctly as in "lode".

us
    Sep 2013
    La Plata, nm
    Gold stinger
    98 times
    Sorry got to love autocorrect

Feb 2004
    Colorado
    GS5 X-5 GMT
    169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
    I was up near the Neglected Mine 2 years ago, but it is not know for telluride ores, I must point out. There was new activity at the mine, and while I was eating lunch next to the road leading up to it, new tracked equipment started up the grade to the mine. There is also a treasure tale associated with that mine, about the mine's cook finding a high grade cache and moving it to a new location. Of course, he could never find it again...
    Several decades ago detecting out of Durango I found several 8 sided polygon store tokens. There were for 12 1/2 cents each and were from Oro fino. I believe they were associated with the Neglected mine.

A real good book about the San Juan is "Golden Treasures of the San Juan" by Marshall and Cornelius. Actually most of the stories about lost mines in this book are actually true.

Yes on page 221 is the story about the cook "The cache of Gold on Falls Creek" hiding the sylvanite ore is mentioned.

George
    Last edited by bakergeol; Jan 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM.
    lastleg likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2461 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I spent two summers up at Falls Creek looking for the lost cook's cache. Good luck. I have posted photos of the terrain in other threads here at T-net. Its covered in thick brush, and lays at about a 55 degree angle, and steeper. Not conducive to metal detecting, too much undergrowth and fallen trees. And lots of area to search up there.....
    lastleg likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    2461 times
    I would love to post some video here of my Falls Creek adventures, but I don't load my videos to third party websites like youtube...

us
    Jul 2012
    2461 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-20 15.16.00.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	1111029 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worst Rough 2012-08-20 13.30.20.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	1111030

us
    Jul 2012
    2461 times
    It may not look it, but its waist high in most places, and often much deeper.

us
    Jul 2012
    2461 times
    I have some awesome video to share, as soon as T-net puts on its big boy pants and allows direct video uploads....

us
    Sep 2013
    La Plata, nm
    Gold stinger
    98 times
    This terrain is no joke out here! Thing have changed out here, like what was mentioned earlier most of the trees wouldn't have been there back then, they were used as timbers or fuel for fires, they did not have the same environmental regulations or land regulations we have today, so landscape would have been drastically different. It isn't unreasonable that a landslide could cover many of the stories talked about in these mountains. Seasons change this land scape very fast out here. I think most of these stories if true would be found. By shear dumb luck, and probably not by some one with a bad back or bad knees. If I had re-hid this amount of treasure it would be very difficult to get to or find. And finding good land marks would be hard. A good example of this would be here in NM, Angle peak, when I was a kid it had two wings now no wings, check it out find the oldest pictures and you will get a good idea. Of course this is all part of research.
    UncleMatt and lastleg like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    La Plata, nm
    Gold stinger
    98 times
    Man I hate using this iPhone for posts. Sorry for all the mistakes.

us
    Bill

Jul 2014
    w/c Illinois
    310 times
    Prospecting
    A quick question for any one around denver co has anyone gone over by foxton on the river just out side of pike national forest on 97 & 96? I always wondered if it had any gold in it.
    Its been 36 years since Iv been there and I didn't do any prospecting back then.
    Don't underestimate ME. I know more than I say, Think more then I speck, & Notice more than you Realize
    One day My teacher pointed at me with his ruler and said: At the end of this ruled is a idiot! I got detention after asking which end.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting

Finding gold in the San Juan's Colorado where it was and ideas for finding ne...

It's about an hour drive for me so no, but the bends in the S Platte there DO look interesting

According to USGS there were never commercial mines there, that's discouraging.
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jan 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM.
    GoldpannerDave likes this.

us
    Bill

Jul 2014
    w/c Illinois
    310 times
    Prospecting
    well better to find out now then drive all that way from here for no gold. but then here in Illinois they keep saying there is no gold. and what little that has been found you can only pan for! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ok not
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    Don't underestimate ME. I know more than I say, Think more then I speck, & Notice more than you Realize
    One day My teacher pointed at me with his ruler and said: At the end of this ruled is a idiot! I got detention after asking which end.

us
    Jul 2012
    2461 times
    I agree that some topography in the high country can change quickly, but other than changes to vegetation there are many areas that do not change quickly, simply because they are characterized by bedrock covered with a thin layer of topsoil. That stuff doesn't change so much, and it represents a lot of what is up there. I also see trees that are hundreds of years old up there all the time, but I agree the lower stuff was often clear cut for mining timbers and railroad ties. Then the undergrowth takes over those areas with a vengeance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links