jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2014/09/forest_service_says_media_need.html#incart_m-rpt-1

[h=1]Forest Service says media needs photography permit in wilderness areas, alarming First Amendment advocates[/h]
15920343-mmmain.jpg

First Amendment advocates are alarmed by a U.S. Forest Service policy requiring journalists to get a permit to shoot videos in federal wilderness areas including those on Mount Hood. (The Oregonian/2013)
Print
By Rob Davis | [email][email protected][/email]
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM, updated September 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Reddit

The U.S. Forest Service has tightened restrictions on media coverage in vast swaths of the country's wild lands, requiring reporters to pay for a permit and get permission before shooting a photo or video in federally designated wilderness areas.
Under rules being finalized in November, a reporter who met a biologist, wildlife advocate or whistleblower alleging neglect in any of the nation's 100 million acres of wilderness would first need special approval to shoot photos or videos even on an iPhone.
Permits cost up to $1,500, says Forest Service spokesman Larry Chambers, and reporters who don't get a permit could face fines up to $1,000.
First Amendment advocates say the rules ignore press freedoms and are so vague they'd allow the Forest Service to grant permits only to favored reporters shooting videos for positive stories.
"It's pretty clearly unconstitutional," said Gregg Leslie, legal defense director at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press in Alexandria, Va. "They would have to show an important need to justify these limits, and they just can't."
Liz Close, the Forest Service's acting wilderness director, says the restrictions have been in place on a temporary basis for four years and are meant to preserve the untamed character of the country's wilderness.
Close didn't cite any real-life examples of why the policy is needed or what problems it's addressing. She didn't know whether any media outlets had applied for permits in the last four years.
She said the agency was implementing the Wilderness Act of 1964, which aims to protect wilderness areas from being exploited for commercial gain.
"It's not a problem, it's a responsibility," she said. "We have to follow the statutory requirements."
The Forest Service's previous rules caused a fuss in 2010, when the agency refused to allow an Idaho Public Television crew into a wilderness area to film student conservation workers. The agency ultimately caved to pressure from Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter.
With smartphones blurring the lines between reporters and camera crews, U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, said the agency should tread more carefully.
"The Forest Service needs to rethink any policy that subjects noncommercial photographs and recordings to a burdensome permitting process for something as simple as taking a picture with a cell phone," Wyden said. "Especially where reporters and bloggers are concerned, this policy raises troubling questions about inappropriate government limits on activity clearly protected by the First Amendment."
Most of the country's wilderness is in the West. Nearly 50 wilderness areas have been designated in Oregon, including wide stretches of land around Mount Hood, Mount Jefferson and Mount Washington.
The rules allow exceptions only for breaking news coverage of events like fires and rescues. They're more stringent than similar policies on wilderness areas managed by a different federal agency, the Bureau of Land Management.
The BLM does not require any special permit for newsgathering in wilderness areas.
By contrast, the Forest Service is giving its supervisors discretion to decide whether a news outlet's planned video or photo shoots would meet the Wilderness Act's goals.
"If you were engaged on reporting that was in support of wilderness characteristics, that would be permitted," Close said.
The First Amendment prohibits the creation of laws that abridge press freedom. Asked whether the Forest Service believes its rule violates the First Amendment, Close replied: "It does not apply to breaking news."
Reporters have many more reasons to go into wilderness areas, however, than just to cover fires, rescues or other breaking events.
The Forest Service is currently accepting public comment on its proposal. Those interested can comment online here.

Upvote 0

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was in the provision from the beginning:

"U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell said late on Thursday he wanted to clear up that the provisions in the draft directive do not apply to media reporters or vacationers.

"If you're there to gather news or take recreational photographs, no permit would be required. We take your First Amendment rights very seriously," Tidwell said in a statement."

Much ado about nothing here

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and further: ""We're looking forward to talking with journalists and concerned citizens to help allay some of the concerns we've been hearing and clarify what's covered by this proposed directive."

Given the high level of interest in the case, Tidwell added, the Forest Service has decided to extend the period allowed for public comments by a month, until Dec. 3."

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"The wording was so vauge that it could be appled to........." are you familiar with how the usfs- blm work? They were putting their toe in the water,,without public backlash do you think the usfs director would get involved? Mission creep imho,,,but much to do about nothing in your opinion,,,i respect your opinion but i think diffrently.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW GAME called resurvey with their own surveyor to move all the property line on patented property since 1856. From we WILL inform you two weeks ago to they RESTAKED the land and removed the USGS bronze markers denoting corner and witness monuments also. NO NOTICE but what the hoooha that'd be legal and they can't abide by that..sic sic sic
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:40 AM
Subject: original land deeds vs. current cadastral surveys

Hi John-I found out some information about original deeds vs. current cadastral surveys. In the event a current survey provides results that are different from a legitimate deed, no final conclusions are made about one being more right than another. Instead, the person or entity holding the deed would submit a claim to whichever agency is responsible for the survey (at no cost), and further research by somebody qualified is performed to determine which document provides the most correct information. Once that decision is made I’m guessing it becomes final (but didn’t hear those specific words). I’m not sure how long the further research takes, but if it’s the federal government, you can count on it not being quick.

No need to do anything on your part because the TRRP survey hasn’t even been finalized at this point, and nobody is formally proposing any actions in terms of the unclassified road that accesses your claims at this time. But if something is proposed you will be notified early on to help develop that proposal

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I have written numerous rants on the political forums I am on about the trillions of $ of lost production just here in California caused by the Green Meanies to mining, fishing, timber, ranching and farming.

The only response I ever get is by the ultra liberal Earth Mama crowd, screaming that I am a earth raper, and should be put in chains!

Surprisingly, I rarely get any comments from the 'conservative' crowd? Is it that they do not care?

Another thing; I keep searching the web for enviro sites that I can comment on, like forums. And I can't find any!Is it that they don't want any pushback by people who are incensed by their actions? It seems they just have their hand out for your $$ to give to their greedy lawyers. Another thing: They list the projects they are 'working' on, but never show any results, or outcomes. What the Hey!!

Like Diogenes, I am left wandering the streets of Athens in search of an honest man!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Until these takings go full circle, meaning that no one has any rights, will people wake up. By then it will be to late. Wake up you liberals , you are cutting off you nose despite your face. I agree with you Timber except public assistance is not the American Dream.

During the Great Depression of the 30's, a man could go out and get gold to provide beans and bacon for his family. Try doing that now! They didn't have EBT cards back then, just breadlines and soup lines, and no welfare. Back then, all labor had honor, and a man with a pick and shovel could earn a living, even if it was simple dirt farming in Oklahoma or Texas, on Govie homesteaded land.

Now, we must get permits and pay fees up the ying-yang to do anything, and earning an honest living by the sweat of your own brow is frowned upon! I personally had government shut down two legit businesses I ran with extreme predjudice and confiscation of all my assets.

We have rights, only if we take them, and not if we beg for them! So get up off your knees, and go get the gold!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have written numerous rants on the political forums I am on about the trillions of $ of lost production just here in California caused by the Green Meanies to mining, fishing, timber, ranching and farming.

The only response I ever get is by the ultra liberal Earth Mama crowd, screaming that I am a earth raper, and should be put in chains!

Surprisingly, I rarely get any comments from the 'conservative' crowd? Is it that they do not care?

Another thing; I keep searching the web for enviro sites that I can comment on, like forums. And I can't find any!Is it that they don't want any pushback by people who are incensed by their actions? It seems they just have their hand out for your $$ to give to their greedy lawyers. Another thing: They list the projects they are 'working' on, but never show any results, or outcomes. What the Hey!!

Like Diogenes, I am left wandering the streets of Athens in search of an honest man!

Bubba, I live near one of many enviro-Mecca's, these folks don't do forums, they get together in person to plot, scheme, organize, and educate. On any given night or weekend you can find something going on in town.
They have been taught from an early age not to engage or debate us, they simply act as tho we don't exist and press on with their agenda. Anyone paying attention will notice that Corporate America and the government have adopted this method of doing business as well. Very frustrating when you were taught to listen, discuss, and compromise. When I was in school I was taught to debate in the following manner; Both sides of the issue/argument, were given the pros and cons, then given an opportunity to study them and figure out where they stood, and establish an opinion, , then you made a case and prepared to debate the issue. You also offered possible solutions or resolutions and agreed to be open to areas for compromise.
Nowadays people choose the side of the issue/argument that appeals to them first. Then they memorize the material that the side they've chosen provides them and defends that position to the end. In another words you close your mind and shut out common sense or compromise, and trust that those giving you your opinion know what their talking about. We are no longer a strong society of free thinkers! To quote Hoser- "SIC, SIC, SIC!"
Those of us getting a bit long in the tooth could benefit a ton in understanding what's going on and what we are up against by going back to school ourselves! I've got kids in college and grandkids in elementary school and I must say I'm getting quite the education and it ain't all good that's for sure.

Last edited:

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My daughter is taking a climate change course and i sure am learning alot about twisting the truth around......up to us to change things buts a heck of a slog

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well with enough public outcry the politicos have no choice but to listen. It's that or loose their job! And why the heck should the forest service care WHO takes pictures in the forests for any reason? To require that any pictures taken for articles etc are approved is nothing short of censorship! Only reason I can think of that they would want this power for is to cover their collective butts when they get caught wasting tax payer money. Oh Wait!!!! THEY NEVER WASTE OUR MONEY!!! Right... and pigs fly too!

I do have to admit that that was one of the most masterful jobs of back peddling I've seen in a long time! handled like a true Govt Employee to be sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread