Found some silver like dust? anyone?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new to panning, and I live in placerville, ca I was panning and came across tons of black sand and below the black sand was much of this silver like shine dust... Does anyone know what this could be? any guesses?

also tons of mica, don't know if that helps to know what kind of minerals are around here

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Fire with a torch in a well ventilated area, mercury burns off at low temps, if it is still there it should be assayed. Seccond pic is some gold from our claim with mercury, first pic is some platinum from the same claim. Fire assay came up with 7 ozs per ton from magnetics black sands

Attachments

• Cold water gold 009.JPG
    Cold water gold 009.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 164
  • Coldwater platinum 002.JPG
    Coldwater platinum 002.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 160

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 oz per ton is very good. You could run 2000 pounds pretty easily

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You must collect 2000 lbs of magnetic cons before you can run anything, not and easy task under the current conditions.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Identifying minerals with pictures is like diagnosing car problems over the phone....kinda hit and miss
If the following is true:
you panned correctly
it is heavier than black sand
It is silver in color

then: it has to be Mercury or Platinum

Do you own a microscope or strong loupe?

lyco panner

Sep 2, 2012
I was in the North Carolina a couple of days ago on business and managed to get out for a little while and do some highbanking and while doing some clean up the black sand is mixed with silver like specs any idea ?

Attachments

• image-3150374429.jpg
    image-3150374429.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 108

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread