Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I havn't been able to open the blm links from info tabs for a few weeks and when I try the blm site it does the same thing...."connection problems"....:BangHead:....."fix connection problems"....."can't find problem".....:dontknow:

The BLM isn't very reliable but you should be able to get through most of the time.

You may be restricted if you don't have TLS enabled on your browser. Sometimes third party security programs can turn TLS off. You can't get information from the LR2000 without TLS.

Right now the BLM LR2000 website is down again but when they get around to turning the starter crank or change the fuse or whatever they need to do to get their web access running again go to the front page and check out the note on TLS and how to enable it in your browser.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Idea, going to be a nice centralized information site, lots of hard work, I hope it susceeds, there is a lot of info out there, but seems so scattered over the internet

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BLM isn't very reliable but you should be able to get through most of the time.

You may be restricted if you don't have TLS enabled on your browser. Sometimes third party security programs can turn TLS off. You can't get information from the LR2000 without TLS.

Right now the BLM LR2000 website is down again but when they get around to turning the starter crank or change the fuse or whatever they need to do to get their web access running again go to the front page and check out the note on TLS and how to enable it in your browser.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
Thanks Barry i'll check it out I am using a new computer. I never had issues with my other one. It would be nice if they got one of the newer Flux Capacitors available on the market:laughing7:

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alaska Mining Claims!

The much requested Alaska Mining Claims Map is now available!

This map was tough. Alaska is one BIG state! The State of Alaska has a lot more State Land than Public Land. This is unusual in the western mining states. Alaska allows mining claims through their own state mining board. That's also unusual. This makes for a lot more State mining claims than Federal mining claims so the Alaska map has three types of claims displayed.

This new Land Matters map has both the State and Federal mining claims displayed. It's also our only map with the Master Title Plats displayed right on the map! :occasion14:

There will be more added to this new map in the next few weeks so keep a look out for more updates soon! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do ya think here guys? Time for an Alaska vacation soon?

It would have to be a move there, not just a vacay. And, I would have to get a divorce first, because I am dead certain the little wife would want nothing to do with living there.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It would have to be a move there, not just a vacay. And, I would have to get a divorce first, because I am dead certain the little wife would want nothing to do with living there.

Well we could do a Tony Beets here. Summer in Alaska and winter in Arizona. Since I hate cold, winters in Alaska and I wouldn't get along well either.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New! Geological Folio Downloads

We've added direct access to all 227 of the USGS Geologic Atlas folios to the Land Matters Geology Library.

You can search for those folios by Quadrangle name or get the whole list to browse through by typing "Geologic Atlas" or just "gfolio" in the search box.

If you haven't studied a Geologic Atlas folio you are in for a treat. These are some of the most comprehensive early geologic reports on the study areas you will find. Some run to hundreds of pages with several separate high quality maps to illustrate all the findings.

Good winter research material. Study up and you will be chomping at the bit to get out in the spring and try all the great new locations you will find in these reports. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been quite awhile since I was able to look at structural geology maps. Really nice. Just wish there were a few others in Oregon.

Bejay

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got much higher resolution Geology as well as higher resolution Faults and Folds for Oregon. Same is true of quite a few other states.

Problem is there isn't much room left on the Land Matters server so every addition takes us closer to the day it's full. The higher resolution Oregon Geology would take up a significant percentage of that disk space. It's a race between donations to get more server space and how soon we run out of that space. So far the donations aren't winning. :BangHead:

We'll get there eventually. In the meantime maybe I can squeeze a new folds display and query layer in. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I honestly struggle to understand why there is not more financial donation support for Land Matters . The amount of information is beyond anything else available. And when one looks at the number of hits the cite is getting it is astonishing that more support does not exist. Go Figure ! ! !

Bejay

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just tossed in another $10, thanks for the awesome site Barry &Co!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion on donations. This is just my view based on my industry.

Firstly I want to donate 1k to mylandmatters but, don't have it. I will however donate 15 to 20 bucks a month and would like to setup an auotomatic payment if available If not, I guess I will just donate monthly. I've been on the fence this month due to recent court results its hard not to send Brandon some money.

O.K. here's the problem and it is in no way a negative reflection on Barry or his very helpful wife and friends
ITS FREEEEEE!!!!!!!
I know why they made it free and want to keep it this way.
I work in an industry where as an owner you have a huge chance of only making 1 to 5 % profit on all of your revenue. Where as your Managers( me:tongue3:)
Make more than that even if you make 0% as the owner.
I have seen owners try again and again to start out with discounts....run promotions etc. to get people to try once and come back.
The problem is people. As a consumer if you go to a restaurant that just opened during a promotion get say buy one get one free....you see the check and think it was a great value. Come in two months later pay full price and the value is gone and most people are jerks and actually perceive it as a rip off....wrong yes but, it happens all the time. So, people seek out that other promotion.
I have worked Friday night events where people who own very high end cars, I mean worth more than your house...and what do the owners do half off all appetizers and pizzas.....at an event for the mega rich..on a Friday night..backwards and stupid. Did those people come for half of ? NO! they came to show off their over priced ego enlargers....Will, they come back for the food...no. Would they bring their fancy car if you say charge them a nominal fee of say $25.00 HECK, no even though they pay more for insurance than the waitress makes a paycheck. For them it is the principal.

Now what does my lame industry have to do with Mylandmatters?

People are the same to a very certain measurable degree. Once you have want to consume something that isn't a necessity you, base its value on initial purchase. As the price increases you decide what to keep in your circle of "unneeded" things. At a certain point certain things win over others.

What does the restaurant biz have to do with Mylandmatters? Everything!

If Barry decided to suddenly charge a nominal say $6.99 subscription there would be a certain percentage of people who would literally hold it against him. As they see the value diminish even though the product hasn't changed. Even though the increase in revenue would stand to increase the products usefulness. And, as an investor(subscription)...your return on your investment would increase with every other subscription. All of that goes unseen by the typical consumer. They only feel the money that comes out of their pocket, and have little concern for ownership or co-investors.

The other issue is market exposure. (Even though it is free it has a MARKET) What other venues was Mylandmatters released on? TNET is the only mining related website I use so I know of it here only. I have seen it mentioned by two people on a couple prospecting/mining related facebook pages. And those posts were made by TNET members.
I know why Barry and friends wanted to put the sight together. There is practically no info available there that you have to pay to get, yet it is so spread out and buried that it takes a lot of familiarity with the sources that hold it, to unlock it and utilize it, in a reasonable manner for the end user.
It is very apparent that Barry and crew have this aspect down. They are doing a huge favor and undertaking a task that actually commands a premium if fee's were to be collected based on the work actually done.

Barry thank you for being such a positive ambassador for a great industry. An industry that I want to be a bigger part of. Thank you for your flood of knowledge. If I didn't have three kids, two of which I want to go to college within the next eight years (HOLY FRICK!!!!!) My contribution would be more than a trickle.
Your website is amazing and your work:notworthy:!!!!!

I hope you can get more contributions and keep adding to your wonderful website. You say heavy pans!!! to us all.

To you sir. I say...LARGE EMPTY SERVERS!!!!!!!!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wait until everyone finds the site...

I think the prospecting and mining community is going to make a drastic shift as we embrace new technology and resources. To me, prospecting/mining is like a trade that very few get a chance to learn about and experience. I've noticed many "ol' timers" sharing their knowledge and experiences and passing the torch to young, absorbent & willing minds. Sites like MyLandMatters are going to open windows of opportunities that many older miners never had. Combining geological documents from the past and new research tools like this will enable us to find just about anything we're after.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with BurntBear here. We have to remember that many miners have not embraced the modern ways of doing research. As more miners get on board with it the usage and donations will increase. I'd love to be able to donate but with getting ready to move and all that is going to take I just can't afford it at this time. I have been promoting the site like crazy though!

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So Clay.....what is the visit count on "Land Matters" and how many different individuals have contributed? Last we talked I was absolutely flabbergasted! But I think such info warrants publication....so you have my AOK.

Bejay

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So Clay.....what is the visit count on "Land Matters" and how many different individuals have contributed? Last we talked I was absolutely flabbergasted! But I think such info warrants publication....so you have my AOK.

Bejay

For those of you who didn't know Bejay is a founder of Land Matters and Chairman of the Board of the non profit. :thumbsup:

Land Matters went public less than four months ago on October 6th 2014.

Since that time the Land Matters website has served 1,154,515 (One million one hundred and fifty four thousand) hits and 164 Gigabytes of maps and research materials.

Since the first of January 2015 more than a quarter of a million hits (264,952) and 41 Gigabytes of maps and research materials.

So far today 9,114 hits and 1.25 Gigabytes of maps and research materials.

We have received a broad range of support from mining companies, geologists and mining engineers, at least one surveyor, Forest Service employees and many donations from prospectors.

Donation amounts range between $5 and $200 with the vast majority being in the $5 - $35 range. You can see the actual total donations received since October 6th on the Land Matters donation scale.

We have several repeat donors like Kevin. (Thanks Kevin! :thumbsup:) Several supporters are right here on Treasurenet and quite a few others are on different forums or in the mining and energy industries.

The Land Matters staff (both of us) have spent most of our time building Land Matters into the resource it will become. Response has been huge and Land Matters still growing despite the fact that we have little time to spread the word.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread