Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Like Tree1778Likes

Thread: Prospectors Research Tools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1276 times
    Prospecting
    Clay I'm loving the geology map of Oklahoma many thanx buddy
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

http://www.mylandmatters.org/

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting
    I'm glad you like it, I hope it's giving you some hints where there is some gold you haven't dredged yet!

I'll have more geology for you this weekend okbasspro. Anybody who works as hard as you do for gold deserves all the breaks he can get.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting

Check New Mexico Mining Claims Map!

New Mexico is one of our favorite states. Great people, great food and a long mining history. Look through the location dates on some of the old mining areas and you will see a lot of little claims made 60 - 100 years ago. Families in New Mexico find a good deposit and work it for generations. It becomes the bank for weddings, babies, college, and old age. A little sweat and hard work and the bill is paid.

Lots of good gold and gems to find in New Mexico. Beautiful country. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

New Mexico Claims Map at Land Matters.

More coming all weekend.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting
    Darn! I must be getting old. I forgot to add the New Mexico claims numbers.

New Mexico has:

9,447 Lode Claims
    1,298 Placer Claims
    ...121 Millsites
    .......7 Tunnel sites

10,873 Total claims

Ruby says it's time for my old man nap.

Heavy Pans

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    I briefly checked out the South Dakota Geology map (using my phone, I will check it out more in-depth on my computer later) and it looks like I'm going to have some reading-up to do so I understand all of the geological lingo on there! I've been having some problems when trying to generate BLM reports on claims, it starts showing "Loading" then brings it to a new page on BLM.gov and that all that does is display "Webpage not available", not sure if it's a problem with the BLM's servers or what. I do on occasion get it to work and display the claim info, but 80% of the time so far since I started using Land Matter's claims maps I've had this problem. I was also wondering, is there any chance that closed lode and placer claims could someday be an overlay option on the maps? Obviously it's important to know where all of the active claims are at, but in the past I've often found myself using LR2000 to display where claims were previously active, it sometimes helps when you're researching a certain area on a map.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting
    The BLM and other government websites are often down or non functional. The BLM database is rarely available on weekends or after 9 pm Eastern time - this weekend is like most others - sporadic at best.

That's one of the main reasons we created Land Matters. The government just can't be trusted to deliver the information we've paid for.

At the end of this past September the entire National Atlas was taken down with the promise beforehand that those more than 400 map layers would be moved to the National Map before it was closed. Those maps are still not there nor is there any indication we will ever get access to that information again.

There are many more examples of this accelerating trend. Up until 2009 there was a culture of providing free access to more of the public's information every year. Since 2009 the exact opposite is true. Information is being removed from public access at an alarming rate.

At Land Matters our goal is to become a storehouse for all that disappearing public information. That is a monumental task. By making that information available from our fast servers that are open 7 days a week 24 hours a day instead of maybe 5 days a week during most daylight hours people are getting used to having access to important public information without hunting half dead sites.

Some of that information still needs to be accessed through the government servers. Sadly the LR2000 is one of those government sites we can't reproduce entirely on our own servers. You are just seeing a perfect example of the current state of government service. They will serve you when they get around to it. Maybe today wasn't convenient for them?

The irony here is that the BLM originally provided a claims mapping service similar to what Land Matters provides now. That service was shut down in February of 2011 without warning or any explanation. The BLM couldn't do for millions of dollars a month what Land Matters is now doing for hundreds of dollars a month.

As far as closed claims? Turn on that historical claims layer at the bottom right of your map layers. It displays all the claims by section from 1976 onward. Some are still active but many are closed. There is very little useful information in closed claims data. Most claims that are closed really weren't worth keeping - otherwise they would have been maintained by their owners.

If you are looking for a specific closed claim and know the name, owner or location many of those claims that were closed less than 4 years ago can be found on the LR2000. The older closed claims case files are sent for archive at NARA and local case file is destroyed.

If you want to study closed case file history you will need to learn to use the LR2000 database. We have a nice illustrated easy to understand three part tutorial available on the Land Matters Tutorials Archive page.

Heavy Pans
    Bejay, Maitland and BurntBear like this.

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you for the reply, Clay. That explains a lot of stuff that I've been wondering about. I remember using the old GeoCommunicator back in the day and at the time it seemed pretty slick, when it worked that is. Yeah, the federal government is out of control, lazy, and way oversized. I wish BLM and NF land could somehow be turned over to each state and each state could take care of it's own mining claims, I think Alaska does their mining claims without the feds involved and I bet it's a lot easier and more problem-free.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor /Galice Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    11298 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitland View Post
    Thank you for the reply, Clay. That explains a lot of stuff that I've been wondering about. I remember using the old GeoCommunicator back in the day and at the time it seemed pretty slick, when it worked that is. Yeah, the federal government is out of control, lazy, and way oversized. I wish BLM and NF land could somehow be turned over to each state and each state could take care of it's own mining claims, I think Alaska does their mining claims without the feds involved and I bet it's a lot easier and more problem-free.
    The sad part about the geocommunicator is that it is still fully funded. Who knows where all those millions go now that are supposed to be spent there. The BLM, like so many bureaus under the Department of the Interior, simply refuse to do the job Congress ordered them to do. The missing funding could be used to help the American people enjoy the fruits of all the taxes they pour into these agencies.

Most of the Alaskan "mining claims" are actually mining leases on State land. They are not federal mining claims made under the mining grant. Alaska does not handle federal mining claims.

The BLM is in charge of the federal mining claims case files in Alaska just as they are in the rest of the public land states. There is little Public Land in Alaska available for claiming because more than 75% of public lands have been closed to mineral entry (mining claims).

The BLM in Alaska does not use the LR2000 system for their case files. they have their own rather dated and primitive system known as ACRES. You can check that out at this LINK. As you will see it's a very 1980's system with limited information and a severely limited number of entries returned. The Alaska BLM is historically very unfriendly to mining. They have a long history of harassment and lying to miners.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Dec 20, 2014 at 09:11 PM.

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1276 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    I'm glad you like it, I hope it's giving you some hints where there is some gold you haven't dredged yet!

I'll have more geology for you this weekend okbasspro. Anybody who works as hard as you do for gold deserves all the breaks he can get.

Heavy Pans
    Already got some spots to sample gotta fund my drywasher for the Arizona claim.
    BurntBear likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting

Check Oklahoma Rock Sample Geochemistry

Quote Originally Posted by okbasspro View Post
    Already got some spots to sample gotta fund my drywasher for the Arizona claim.
    I promised you more geology okbasspro. I hope this helps pay for that drywasher!

The Oklahoma Geology Map now has a Rock Sample Geochemistry layer.

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting

Check More Rock Geochemistry Samples!

I've added Rock Geochemistry Sample layers to the Arizona Geology Map and the Oregon Geology Map!

Both of those are direct links to the maps, thanks to our generous sponsors.

Much more coming very soon!

Heavy Pans
    TheGoldProspector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting

Check Montana Mining Claims Map!

Montana isn't just a beautiful State it has some of the best opportunities for the small placer miner in the West. Add in the fact that metal detectorists have many locations to find nuggets and you've got a fine summer destination. I plan on spending some time there myself next summer. A great place to beat the heat.

Here is the new and much requested Montana Mining Claims Map.

Montana Mining Claims Totals:

11,030 Lode Claims
    ..2,691 Placer Claims
    ..1,378 Millsites
    .......22 Tunnel Sites
    15,121 Total Claims

Heavy Pans

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10159 times
    Prospecting

Check Update and Correction to South Dakota Mining Claims Map

We've added 1 Placer Claim and 13 Lode Claims to the South Dakota Claims Map.

We discovered the error while working on the Montana Mining Claims Map. It seems the BLM made a LITTLE BooBoo.

They put the wrong Meridian on those 14 South Dakota Mining Claims so they ended up putting those South Dakota claims more than 600 miles away in Montana!

We fixed that LITTLE BooBoo for them on the Land Matters map.

This is a good opportunity to make a point that can't be made too often. The BLM database is managed by very ordinary people who make very ordinary mistakes about Claims that are very important to prospectors. The information we present on these claims maps is only as good as the work that has been done by the BLM (Or maybe a little better in some cases? ).

Without going into the obvious problems created by these mistakes I want to remind everyone that these maps are only the beginning of a longer process of doing the research required by law before you enter the public lands to prospect. Do your own due diligence before prospecting or claiming. Land Matters is here to help you with that research but in the end it will be you making the final decision to prospect or claim public lands.

Heavy Pans
    Maitland likes this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6154 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Well looks like I'll just have to go check out the Montana maps since I've got a couple of friends I'VE been meaning to go see. Might as well make it a "Working Vacation" !!! Only problem is that they're so far north in the state I think I'll be able to chuck a rock into Canada from their place. Better pack my woolies too!
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links