BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
As winter nears us once again, many people are probably hanging their prospecting hat for the cold months. I still enjoy prospecting in the cold weather and feel that it actually give us opportunities as well. Different water levels is obviously one advantage for certain types of prospecting. Do any of you prospect in the winter months? If so, what tips & techniques do you have to stay dry and warm in the water? I find it easier to spot gemstones in the cold months. The water is cleaner in winter & the light from the sun is better as well. -Luke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't wait to see!

What is everyone doing with their heavy minerals and gemstones? Garnet frequently ends up with our heavies; as does corundum. I just started saving the under-sized ones in little vials.

Last edited:

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep but it's warm here in CA still. Had some snow two weekends ago at a spot my friend and I went to, then it was like 76 degrees yesterday!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Depends; where you planning to try it out? Missouri/Mississippi rivers? Or points further west?

Maybe both! Both rivers are close to me and theres a big sand bar on the Mississippi River that's got to have fine gold in it. Just across the River on the St.Louis side a friend of mine was working on a construction job and they dug big some big holes for foundations to tie up barges to. he grabbed some material from that mixture and panned it out when he got home and found enough gold to get excited about. he gathered up all the 5 gallon buckets he could find for the next morning ,BUT he was to late! they already started dumping concret into the hole.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter Prospecting

Prospecting in the late Fall, Winter and early Spring is about all I get time for.

There are a lot of perks that come with Winter prospecting IMHO, at least here in the East. Higher water let's me work areas that are off limits in the Summer, I have the ENTIRE claim to myself, no skeeters, first take at the new flood gold plus the cold weather keeps me moving lol!

I wear chest waders over insulated coveralls with a few hooded sweatshirts underneath. Cheap jersey gloves under rubber gloves work good for highbanking but no so much for dredging. I plan on setting up a hot water system on the dredge exhaust and eventually making one from a camp heater.

I have been out a few times when it was below freezing but it's not worth it here, no chance to profit and plenty of 35° days.

Here are a few videos shot during Winter

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Cold weather? What's that?

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. Just had to add this winter sport while I was at it.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah Lanny, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time in the winter.All the injuries flare Up. Cold hurts. Think i found out the answer.Saw this On You tube. For camp,shower,and dredge.

kikinit247

Dec 20, 2013
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The chilly weather we are having has dropped the river nicely. I was out yesterday. Here are a few cold weather prospecting pics. IMGP0837.jpg
This bucket was supposed to be thawing the chunks of frozen gravel/sand that screened out, but only did a marginal job.
2db7896d-449d-45bb-bf41-948e34e130ff.jpg
IMGP0836.jpg
The gravel bar I was working.
IMGP0838.jpg 22adb0b7-8598-4e57-ad5f-b988e440e0fb.jpg IMGP0841.jpg
IMGP0851.jpg
The results from 8 gallons 1/4 classified.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kikin'...you are a brave soul to be out there in the deep chill, and ya
got some color too..:occasion14:

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Thanks for sharing! It's been COLD here!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe both! Both rivers are close to me and theres a big sand bar on the Mississippi River that's got to have fine gold in it. Just across the River on the St.Louis side a friend of mine was working on a construction job and they dug big some big holes for foundations to tie up barges to. he grabbed some material from that mixture and panned it out when he got home and found enough gold to get excited about. he gathered up all the 5 gallon buckets he could find for the next morning ,BUT he was to late! they already started dumping concret into the hole.

Way too late! That is sad. Hopefully you will be successful with the 2" dredge out there.

Last edited:

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back to the snowy environment I so frequent this time of year - the claim. Though I had worked this particular area several years before, I did recall how shallow the bedrock was and how concentrated the gold seemed to be at the time. "Did I get it all," was the question I asked myself as I re-opened a stretch of iced river. Previously, this section of river was worked in late spring with high rushing water and a possible risk to gold loss. Thinking back, maybe I worked this area too quickly and didn't do a better "clean-up job" as I should have. Well, after 20 minutes of work on this hole, I sure was glad that I took such a risk. Below are the recent photos taken on such an adventure. Last picture is of the total day's clean up.

Gold 12-19-14 (3).JPG Gold 12-19-14 (4).JPG Gold 12-19-14 (11).JPG Gold 12-19-14 (10).JPG 1.1gram 12-19-14 (2).JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tasty gold indeed!

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IGGR,

That is some great color and I don't think you got it all!!! :thumbsup:

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think you got it all!!!
How true you are BurntBear. It appears there was more gold missed (perhaps replenished) than I had thought. This past Sunday I made another return trip to the claim. I widened the same hole and found a tad bit more color. The following picture is of this Sunday's clean up.

Gold 1grm 12-21-2014 (3).JPG

Looking forward to yesterday's (Dec. 23rd) clean up. Quite cold and so my concentrates were brought back home with me last night. Perhaps not as much gold but it looks very promising. I'll post those findings later this week. I love spending the holidays on the river! Merry X-mas everyone.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread