BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
As winter nears us once again, many people are probably hanging their prospecting hat for the cold months. I still enjoy prospecting in the cold weather and feel that it actually give us opportunities as well. Different water levels is obviously one advantage for certain types of prospecting. Do any of you prospect in the winter months? If so, what tips & techniques do you have to stay dry and warm in the water? I find it easier to spot gemstones in the cold months. The water is cleaner in winter & the light from the sun is better as well. -Luke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Christmas and lots of snow shoveling delayed this posting of the Dec. 23rd clean up but as they say, better late than never. It seems that I did better than expected. I did venture further outside the hole that I worked in the past. This leads me to believe there is more awaiting the next visit. To my surprise, I found a little quartz/gold piece in the mix as well. The photos are of this last 2014 season's clean up and a closer look at the quartz piece.

Gold 12-23-14.JPG Q-Gold close-up.JPG

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
During this little time off, I also decided to do a weigh-in on what gold was recovered during this month of December. I was hoping to get an 1/8th of an ounce. Fortunately, I achieved that with a weigh-in of 8.2 grams (See photo). It isn't the "mother lode" but given the snowy / icy conditions, I faired quite well and did it without falling in! A first for me, lol. I hope this recent -25 below temps and the 2 1/2 ft. of added snow fall doesn't prevent my return in January. However knowing my gold fever, all I need is a slight warming trend (mid 20's would be fine) and I am off to the races snow shoeing back to the claim. May your pans be blessed with an abundance of gold this 2015 season. Happy New Years to all as well! Cheers - Randy

Dec GOLD - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is meticulously and beautifully displayed. :occasion14:

OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
...and just think of that snow melting...into water; pushing more gold your way.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cold Weather? What the heck is that? Down here many people take the summer off from mining because they don't want to fry their brains in the sun. I go year round since my brain is already fried anyway. During the cooler part of the year you can always put more layers of clothes on to keep warm. During the summer you can only take so much off and not end up in jail for public exposure!

I say the same thing about putting on more in the cold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread