GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one spot is a long permitted gravel plant. Private land it is zoned mixed use. If someone is cooking bacon in Fairplay...

Todd can smell it because they are so close to town.

and because he is a type of Bacon Shark and can smell it for like four miles.

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While in the neighborhood, I made a trip this past Summer to Fairplay just to see the Gold Rush mining activity. I parked in their driveway entrance and walked out into the field directly across the river from their activities. With a pair of binoculars, I watched two of the wash plants being run full steam. As a small-scale miner, it was a thrill to watch! There was a sign on the gate entrance that had an Arizona mining company's information, which I thought was curious. I don't remember the company details.
Yes, it was also noisy! So, I guess I can see both sides on this debate. I sure as heck wouldn't want that sort of noise disturbing my peace.
I drove further up to Alma and saw another couple big commercial placer mines working, so Gold Rush isn't the only miners working in this area. The Alma mine is right in Alma. There is another placer mine running right next door.
The reality is that Colorado in general is no longer mining-friendly and I believe out-siders get a special heaping of scrutiny.
Leadville and Ouray seem to be exceptions where mining is still thought of as legitimate and vital.
I don't think Todd Hoffman is particularly useful as a miner or even as a mine manager and unfortunately, he may be giving other placer miners a bad reputation.
Love him or hate him, Todd Hoffman is right when he says.... what guy wouldn't want to be doing what he does?
I'll continue to watch the show. Tony Beets and his dredges are fascinating to me.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toad has got 3 plants running now, right?
When they cleaned up, why was there only 2 gold counts?
I liked Hunter's idea of not running the overburden..:BangHead:....Really? who would have guessed?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Toad has got 3 plants running now, right?
When they cleaned up, why was there only 2 gold counts?
I liked Hunter's idea of not running the overburden..:BangHead:....Really? who would have guessed?

If I remember correctly from last year.....Two of the plants are set up side by side but one has a larger throughput capacity than the other. To save material handling they are fed by a single grizzly/conveyor system but the feed is split at the end to feed them both. Short answer....Paydirt is from the same source/cut. The other plant gets it's feed from a cut at a different location.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when is this gonna be aired?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a firefighter but they cut 30 foot wide cuts to stop the fire, if you look at their mining site it is hundreds of yards wide. You can put your equipment and trailers 200-300 yards from where the fire would be then they only have to fight embers.
Last I heard fire doesn't burn dirt

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 30 foot fire break is useless when the trees are 50 - 100 feet tall.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not a firefighter but they cut 30 foot wide cuts to stop the fire, if you look at their mining site it is hundreds of yards wide. You can put your equipment and trailers 200-300 yards from where the fire would be then they only have to fight embers.
Last I heard fire doesn't burn dirt
sorry Ben .. but .. I'm an Aussie firefighter and I have seen dirt burn.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mate,
I hadn't also considered how much oil and grease etc that is probably on that ground. I was a cop and just kept people off the firefighters backs.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah but everything in australia tries to kill you, apparently even the dirt! Lol
yeah ... after a bushfire had gone thru we were blacking out and whilst walking to the next smolderer there was puffs of flame coming up in the raised dust.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread