Any Prospectors in Santa Clarita or around here?

SCVgoldfever

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Keene A51, Keene A52, Gold Hog Mats, Gold-n-Sand, Homemade Crac-Vac.......... A highbanker is in the works!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCV go over the hill to Keene Eng. and talk to Pat and those guys there. They'll help you out. G/L

OP
OP
SCVgoldfever

SCVgoldfever

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Keene A51, Keene A52, Gold Hog Mats, Gold-n-Sand, Homemade Crac-Vac.......... A highbanker is in the works!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know that's a good idea... I am over there on occasion and never thought to ask. I usually go to little tujunga and have luck, I am just trying to find something more local. I know bouquet canyon and san franciscito were old placer areas just can't find that spot worth going to yet.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Gold in the Santa Clarita Valley

SCV,

I used to go to San Francisquito Cyn. all the time to an old claim. After you pass the USFS entry sign, a bit further on the left is a gun club. A couple hundred feet further on your right is a road that goes up the side of the hill with a gate. Park in front of the gate and follow the trail in front of the gate up the hill. When you get to the top the area is flat and to the right are two man made caves. Go in the larger of the two and you can get gold about midway in on the right side of the wall towards the bottom. If you go closer to the back (WATCH OUT FOR THE RAT DROPPINGS! Possible Hunta Virus there) but there are pickers in the hard packed caliche ceiling. Be aware of signs of a cave-in which would be a small trickle of dirt coming down from a crack that is a hint to get the heck out fast. I have never observed said trickle of fine dirt or seen cracks in the caliche so was safe last I was there. I have had a caliche ceiling cave in on me at my old claim in the El Pasos and just missed this 2-3' boulder from crushing me(needlessly to say it knocked me to the floor). But I just picked myself up, dusted my self off and thanked God that I could live to see another day and kept mining.

Myself and three other guys mined there for about 3 years or so on a regular basis year round. So check it out and don't waste your time with the small cave on the left side as it has no gold.

Randy

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCVgoldfever

SCVgoldfever

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sedan,

Thanks for sharing that information. I will check it out very soon!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the sake of discussion , directly across from the F.S. building in San Fran Canyon is excellent gold. Right below where the old dam washed out. Used to be able to mine it until the 1970's , when the F.S. arbitrarily closed it. In the wash there is supposed be an old safe that was caught up in the flood when the dam broke.

OP
OP
SCVgoldfever

SCVgoldfever

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks I've been told lots of flower gold. I wonder if the side of the mountain a half mile down from the station that looks mineralized will bear anything? when it rains I ll set up the sluice.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure that you are legal there. I don't know how far the Forest Circus has shut things down. Almost every drainage in the San Gabriels has gold.Specially the Westward flowing canyons. Big Rock Creek and Little Rock Creek as well.Let us know how you do . G /L

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
rodoconnor,
What is the F.S. Building? Do you mean the DWP pump station?

Randy

user-online.png

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be a Forest Service station there just below where the original dam washed out. You could still see debris and concrete and steel in the wash there. They had a sign stating that it was necessary to obtain permission from the head ranger to do any mining related activity. Maybe the building is gone now. I think the pump station is farther up the canyon as I recall.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't go in caves by yourself. Might need to use the buddy system. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread