goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Any idea which mine(s) it's out of Oak? Looks a lot like what comes out of the Mesa Grande-Pala districts down in San Diego. We used to find outcroppings all over the place down there as well as crystals in many of the streams. I've got samples of pink, green, blue, black and "Watermelon" from that area. We even found schist outcroppings with tons of small pink tourmaline at the Ramona cemetery.

Last trip out to San Diego, Robi and I went to the "Ocean view" mine and did some digging. Got lots of small pieces of tourmaline as well as a couple of 6in + quartz crystals. Really nice folks there.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one dark red is a nice Rubalet,I have the same faceted stone set in a nugget and it looks righteous-John

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It was from the Pala Mine I believe

Any idea which mine(s) it's out of Oak? Looks a lot like what comes out of the Mesa Grande-Pala districts down in San Diego. We used to find outcroppings all over the place down there as well as crystals in many of the streams. I've got samples of pink, green, blue, black and "Watermelon" from that area. We even found schist outcroppings with tons of small pink tourmaline at the Ramona cemetery.

Last trip out to San Diego, Robi and I went to the "Ocean view" mine and did some digging. Got lots of small pieces of tourmaline as well as a couple of 6in + quartz crystals. Really nice folks there.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The Pala Mine is just down the hill about a 1/2 mile from Ocean View. We got plenty of pieces that could be cut and mounted in a nice setting. Just a matter of finding time to do it is all. So many rocks... so little time!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
We mainly have green varieties here in Tennessee. Lot's of Schorl over in N.C. My partner got several nice Watermelons and Bi-Color greens from here in Tennessee. Pretty stuff! Hard to find those red shades here.

Here is one of the bi-color Tourmalines from Tenn.:

125_2677 - Copy.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I love Tourmalines.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ron Decker helped me clean and sort and took some USB photos, some with blacklight lighting.

Nice win! Those are some mighty pretty specimens you won in that auction.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The pink one on top is about 5 carats, and might be cutable if there are not too many inclusions.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some really nice watermelon insitu from Pala but kept in my sdbox so only gets to visit home temporarily-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread