fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all you California gold diggers.
I was wondering if there is any long term camping areas where a person could find decent gold on public lands that don't require me to get a claim. I am looking to find enough to cover expenses only not to get rich. Any help would be appreciated. Plan on being in California around May or June 2015.

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much are your expenses? Due to the unjust moratorium on California dredging most people here find themselves unable to be profitable just sluicing and panning.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the public campgrounds are 14 day stay max, and most are on a reservation system, so plan ahead and you wont have a problem. Any particular area of the state you want to be at? What are your requirements camp wise? Dry camp or hook ups? 2wd or 4wd. Any physical limitations. Are you looking for solitude and serious mining or you looking to take in some of the history as well? Let us know your wants and needs and we'll "customize" it for ya.

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expenses minimal. Maybe 200 - 250 a month.
Any part of the state is fine. I will have a 24-ft mobile towing a PT Cruiser for transportation. Will be self contained but hook ups would be nice.
Yes I have physical limitations as I had a quad by pass and 5 months ago 2 stints. I won't be able to hike more than 1/2 to a mile at most with my gear.
Any gold in the Sierra mountain range as I found Long Term there.
Also I will be stay around Phoenix for the winter and plan on heading that way in the next couple months once I get everything in order here.
Thanks for the help.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus a lot of the camp grounds are roughly $30.00 or more per night. Bear river Campground is suited for your needs but you will pay for any camping in Gold Country.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could go backpacking in national forest, but that limits what you can bring as you pack it all in. We went for a weeklong backpacking trip this summer and brought our pans and a mini sluice. No camping fees! Man did I want to bury that sluice somewhere by the end of the week though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread