Can you wire a Bilge Pump to outlet?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sick of bringing batteries to my claim and they keep dying just after maybe a hour of use, so I must be draining them...

Was thinking just to take my 1100 watt 20 pound generator down to my claim so I could just run my 3700GPH bilge pump to the outlet on my generator.. Question is can this be done as the pump only has the positive and negative wire?

I already have a plug, just don't know if this can be done, and would the black(negative) wire go to the neutral spot in the plug or would it go to ground??

Sorry guys I know this does not have GOLD in the topic, but just wondering if anyone else has ever done anything like this??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea but you have to go to a dedicated electrical store to buy a rectifier. Can't pick them up just anywhere like I stated in third post. It's all good now he is running a trash pump.

uh, not...a battery charger is a rectifier, you can get those anywhere

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true but how many amps is that pump running I know most chargers will overheat and shut down after so long at least the small ones I have owned that would be portable. Trickle charger wouldn't be enough to run the pump I would think. I guess if you wanted you could buy a automotive battery charger that doesn't have a over current safety and use it. Don't know how long the charger would last it is not designed to be used for a d/c power source for and extended period. In my opinion if you already haul a generator out to site why not buy a high volume a/c sump pump. I would save on gas and get some good solar panels and charge batteries all day and run pump also. In long run panels or arrays would pay for themselves. Again just an opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's true but how many amps is that pump running I know most chargers will overheat and shut down after so long at least the small ones I have owned that would be portable. Trickle charger wouldn't be enough to run the pump I would think. I guess if you wanted you could buy a automotive battery charger that doesn't have a over current safety and use it. Don't know how long the charger would last it is not designed to be used for a d/c power source for and extended period. In my opinion if you already haul a generator out to site why not buy a high volume a/c sump pump. I would save on gas and get some good solar panels and charge batteries all day and run pump also. In long run panels or arrays would pay for themselves. Again just an opinion.

Hey bud you're in Ohio? I am from Columbus, but last 10 years lived in Greenville, little town hour north of Dayton.. Just moved to Cali 2 years ago..

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea NW Ohio closest town would be Upper Sandusky or just south of Tiffin About and hour north of Columbus off us 23. I do a lot of old site detecting. No gold to speak of to pan for around here. I've heard of your town I think I've done some line or substation work there a few years back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I know where you are... Ever found anything cool?

Yea NW Ohio closest town would be Upper Sandusky or just south of Tiffin About and hour north of Columbus off us 23. I do a lot of old site detecting. No gold to speak of to pan for around here. I've heard of your town I think I've done some line or substation work there a few years back.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea oldest coin was last weekend 1828 U.S. Half cent along with some large cents. Lots of relics including mid 1800s township fire dept badge.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice!

Yea oldest coin was last weekend 1828 U.S. Half cent along with some large cents. Lots of relics including mid 1800s township fire dept badge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread