Vacuum on the East fork San Gabriel River

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a surprise! As far as I know , a vac-pac is still legal in Kal. Now that EFSG has National Monument status , who the #@ll knows. Obviously not the rangers.Not much help ,I know . Just venting a little. Let us know what you eventually find out

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless I am completely mistaken here, since it was given National Monument status, all forms of mining and prospecting have been banned with the exception of preexisting claims which should have been "Grandfathered" in. However those claim holders have to make sure that they keep their fees current or their claims will revert back to the government.

I still have some questions though... What the heck is it a monument to and why do they feel that giving it this status is going to help keep the area cleaned up? They couldn't control the trash and vandalism when it was National Forest so what difference is what basically amounts to nothing more than a name change going to do to improve things in that area? The people that came up with that idea as a fix to the areas problems really need to have their heads examined!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my understanding that as far as the mining is concerned they were leaving it at status quo. That is of course until new head district ranger comes to town with an agenda and says no.Nothing good can come from this arbitrary name change.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would not be able to file claims. It has been and is a public mining corridor open to all. Doing whatever kind of mining you can get away with. Gas powered motors will tend to attract attention. That looong extension cord will too. What are you gonna do?.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks golddog. I want to suck up material from the crevices and other place I can't get into. I am building a viper vac by AZViper, so no cords!

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't sound like the rangers have a clue.... just don't tell them your mining. Just tell them your trying to clean up a little with your vacuum! The park service is so stupid they will probably give you an award.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't sound like the rangers have a clue.... just don't tell them your mining. Just tell them your trying to clean up a little with your vacuum! The park service is so stupid they will probably give you an award.

Since when do most Rangers have a clue to start with? Most of them don't even know the laws that they're supposed to be upholding or where their authority ends. What they always seem to forget is that the Forest Service is a "Surface Assets" management group. Even though they don't really have any control over mining which is handled by BLM, they can still make your life a P.I.T.A. when they overstep their authority. Since I don't mine in/on National Parks or Monuments I've never had to deal with their guys. I know that "Park Service Rangers" have a different set of rules they have to follow compared to "Forest Service Rangers". Different groups with different mandates/objectives/responsibilities.

Be sure you get your hands on the current regulations and keep a copy on you at all times. Learn and understand them 100% That way when Ricky Ranger comes a knocking, you can show them to him (since he's most likely never read them himself) and set him straight. Just remember to be polite while talking to them because that can go a long way towards developing a good relationship with them.

BTW.... I know AzViper personally and have used his vacs quite a bit. I can tell you that they are anything BUT quite so they WILL draw attention to your operation. They're great vacs and will pretty much suck a golf ball through a garden hose if you give them a chance! I've cleaned bedrock to the point that you could eat off of it with them.

dasmoose

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2014
SoCal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed about using anything gas powered, that would be a sure way to draw unwanted attention even if it is perfectly legal. I was up there on the 5th and the status change hasn't stopped us gold seekers. No new signs addressing prospecting or mining either.

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed about using anything gas powered, that would be a sure way to draw unwanted attention even if it is perfectly legal. I was up there on the 5th and the status change hasn't stopped us gold seekers. No new signs addressing prospecting or mining either.

I am going to try a new sluice this weekend. Let me know if you ever want to meet up and go digging!

dasmoose

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2014
SoCal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best o luck on the new sluice. I might head up again before the end of the year ill let ya know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread