New to panning and want to be sure of where to go.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

New here to TreasureNet and new to prospecting/panning.
Getting Panning kits for the kids and nephews for X-mas.
Got some books. watching some videos.
I want to get the families out into our local National Forests and do a little fishing and panning. I have the Angeles and Los Padres Forests in my back yard.

But I'm concerned that where ever we may pick to hangout and pan, we may be on someone's claim?

I was reading about Piru creek near Gorman and Mining clubs having claims along the creek. How do you know?

Is there a map that shows existing claim locations within National Forest and BLM?

Any info or direction to info would be great.
Looking forward to some family adventure and fun.....
and maybe pay off the mortgage :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rules/regs and such are in a constant state of change. At the end of Lake Piru is a much better spot. Just drive till the road dead ends at the feeder creek and have a ball BUT check at ranger station(call prior) as bs abounds today. Join a nice SMALL local yokel club and ease them newbie blues ,meet new mining folks and prosper freely and there is safety in numbers. Hit the yellow pages for detecting,mining,gem.mineral stores as brick and mortar stores have all the recent local gossip and HELP-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net G-bone!

Johns' advice is right on the money! Find yourself a club to join as they have a LOT of benefits for people that are new to prospecting. First off you can learn the basics of hunting that elusive metal that we all love. Without the basics you can feel like you're beating your head against the wall. You will also have access to the clubs digging areas as well as others of a like mind to go digging with. Everything is a plus for the beginner when they join a club. Membership USUALLY isn't all that much and most times will cover the entire family. Many clubs will have monthly meetings and if they're like the one we belong to they will have raffles as well as other mining related events that you can join in on.

If you decide later that you'd like to branch out on your own, take some time to do some research. There are tons of sites on the web that you can get really good information and resources from for free. Everything from listings of current claims, land management areas as well as mining laws and regulations are just a mouse click away. Always be sure you know and understand the rules and regs for any area you plan on digging in. Here are a couple of good links to information and resources that you will find very handy.

FREE MAPS FOR DOWNLOAD:
The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

TONS OF INFORMATION ON MINING AND OTHER PUBLIC LAND USES AND ISSUES:
Welcome to Land Matters

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here in T-Net. Someone here is always willing to help a new person out.

GI

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Talk to Pat Keene (Keene engineering) in Chatsworth. He runs SFV Prospectors. No dues or anything just a bunch of gold prospectors in the area. (gpaa.net ) I use a site called thediggings.com for claim info. Good luck and have fun! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the welcome and thank you for the sound advice.
I'll start checking around on local clubs.

Both boys are teens right now and they've been camping since pups.
But they're changing and now when I say camping or riding in the desert, they got other plans.
I'm gonna force em out a couple times and see how they take to it.
Once they're out there, they love it (the outdoors that is), so it should'nt be too hard.

I was up late last night, searching the internet and finding so much stuff my head was spinning.
But I got enough to know, I think... that we can get some color if were in the right place.
Once the Family see's that! It's GAME ON!
WHoooohooo.

Coincidentally Goldog, I lived in Tujunga from 76 to about 90.
Know those mountains like the back of my hand.
Still have Grandparents living there and thought about taking the family into Big-T to pan some time too.
Any suggestions for up there?
I was thinking maybe off Delta canyon road (old Delta Flats), just past the first Bridge maybe?
Or even old StoneyVale and up Stone Canyon a little ways?

Thank you again all and cheers!

G

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big T is where I go for local gold. Just below the bridge is Gold Cyn. The color seems better below that. There are a number of private residences though so you've got to tread lightly.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GBONE . A LOT of gold in So Kal. If your sons are into dirt bikes ,the desert is loaded. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread