Bought a piece of property and found gold... Now what?

Yesterdaysgvl

Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello prospectors, I posted this in the wrong forum at first... I am new at this... I bought some property to build a cabin and while walking up a steep hill to check out an area for a home site I picked up these tiny quartz rocks, took them home and hit them a few times with a hammer then panned the bit I broke up (Didn't get them broke up very well so just a little bit to pan. I was just goofing off.... Well looks like there's gold in them there hills. Most of the property is ancient creek bed and bottomland with not much buildable area except up a steep hill. The hill is layered with distinctive layers of different clay colors and rock content and quartz to the ancient stream bed with two springs leaching from part way up the hill from underground and making there way above ground crossing the ancient river bed to the creek... in the middle of the clay layers there is an odd hard rock formation (could it be a vent pipe, if so what do I do next?)

I'm looking for advice on what steps to take to enjoy (maybe even profit from) my piece of land. It is in the Southeast, but isn't in an area where most would expect to find gold.

I'm thinking of getting a pyramid pro pan, does anyone have any experience with them.. All I own is a gold pan my brother in law gave me, so what all should I purchase (BTW, I'm poor so cheap is good) Any recommendations for low cost ways to extract gold and how to get it out of quartz? I think I have a lot of learning to do...

Sorry for the low quality phone pics...
Gold photo 1 (14).JPG Gold photo 2 (7).JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

Yesterdaysgvl

Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, I I must not have explained myself well enough, when I say "My Land" it means I own it. Heck I am a mineral rights believer for long term investment and have watched folks in Arkansas give up their rights, but I personally wouldn't buy without intact mineral rights, and darn sure wouldn't sell without owning mineral rights... Crazy huh...

Once again, Clay is the voice of reason

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just another question because I'm curious, if you own the mineral rights to your property does that mean you don't need to make a claim? Seems like there wouldn't be a point to claim it but I'm still new to all of this so I don't know.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just another question because I'm curious, if you own the mineral rights to your property does that mean you don't need to make a claim? Seems like there wouldn't be a point to claim it but I'm still new to all of this so I don't know.

Claims are for public lands only. Privately owned lands can be mined as long as you follow local and state land use laws. No claims needed. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Y

Yesterdaysgvl

Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Since I own the land including all rights to it.... I'm cool... Finding gold in an unexpected place is awesome. I will start looking more soon. We haven't even moved to the area yet, I was just messing around, and I picked up these pebbles, then jokingly acted like I knew more than I do by saying that gold follows quartz... I did not expect to find gold! I was just messing around... ONCE I RINSED OFF THE PEBBLES, THE GOLD WAS EVIDENT.... Question is, "what do I do with this new found info", do I check everything, how do I do that... Lots of learning for me to do... loving the idea.. dreading the learning curve... I don't have money to waste on frivolous adventure (though that would be awesome) So I will have to look at prospecting my few acres frugally... I don't want to start an Ozark frenzy, I suspect this could be a rare occurrence. So until I've explored (learned more and possibly purchased neighboring land) I will not even share the area... Who'd of thunk a no-gold area would actually have gold... I have a lot to learn...

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well admitting to yourself that you have a lot to learn is a good first step in itself! Too many people go off half cocked and end up in deep kimchee. I'd start off on checking into the local and state land use laws like Clay mentioned. Even though you own the mineral rights, that doesn't mean you can do what ever you want. If they happen to say that there's no mining allowed, I'd be putting in a LOT of gardens!

If you get a green light from the locals, don't start buying up a lot of gear until you've figured out the best way to work the land. Let the land tell you what gear is needed to mine it effectively. Keep the costs down and the equipment from gathering dust in the corner.

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
Like he sez....don't say a thing, even if you go to the local courthouse to research the mineral rights. Don't mention "mineral rights". I have learned to not trust the good ladies at the courthouses. They WILL tell someone in the business.

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who's lived in NC for a while, people who live in the middle of nowhere pride themselves on two things; 1)they live in the middle of nowhere & 2)their gun collection

Be wise.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, it's nice when your property can pay for itself! Good for you, now be quiet. :laughing7:
Gold still in the quartz is highly desirable among jewelry makers and collectors. I'd be making me friends with a gem cutter (if I didn't know how myself) and getting some cabochons cut and polished. Another poster mentioned it also. worth way more that way.
Only once, will that stone be the way you found it. Once you bust it up and refine it.......
Make friends with a gem cutter.

When's the BBQ? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread