Dredging commercially worked bedrock. A possibility???

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just speculating the gold possibilities during the off season. I have heard that some Alaskan commercial mining claims will lease or let you work on some of their property for a percentage. I am speaking in reference to small operations; AKA, high banking / dredging (preferably the latter). My question is this: Is it outrageous to think of dredging an area previously worked by the commercial claim?
EXAMPLE: The typical area where the overburden, pay layer, and some bedrock has been removed.
As quoted by Gold Maven from the last episode of Gold Rush,
I'm with Tony on going deeper into the bed rock. You go to all the expense to get down there, you have to at least check it.
Granted, if going deeper into the bedrock with commercial equipment doesn't justify the cost of recovery, then it isn't worth the means to obtain it and they move on. However, if it was a high grade area that could be dredged with a simple method of flooding the area of several feet, then I believe this small operation has a potential for profit. Experience on dragline streams has taught me one thing over the years, not all gold was recovered and since much of the overburden was removed at one time, working closer to the bedrock areas has been very productive. Perhaps I am over thinking this line of prospect but if given a chance, I think a 6 or 8 inch dredge might be worth the risk. I mean, who in the lower 48 doesn't want to work bedrock, right? The down side to all this would be the cost of lengthy hoses and a large water pump to fill the area, the distance to pump such water (if there is water nearby), the clarity of the water - poor visability resulting in possible "long arm" dredging, possible back fill to retain a small dredging area as apposed to large open cut, and of course, obtaining permission for such a project while the commercial operation works elsewhere on the claim.
I would like your 2 cents worth on this subject.

Is this a 2 thumbs up^^ idea :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Or am I just beating my head against the wall :BangHead:

dragline tailings.JPG exposed bedrock.JPG

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought the same thing when Parker converted over to the toothless bucket. Yeah, he picked up more gold but as we're both aware, the good stuff is in the cracks, crevices in the bedrock...down DEEP.
I'm sure if you were to flood their cut, then visibility would be zero since there is no current to carry away the silt, clay cloud from the discharge.
Prior to flooding, stake out bowling alley type lanes, flood the cut and start long arming one lane at a time.
Heck, I'd give 'em 15%...when do we leave? :headbang:

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread