Small Trommel Build

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 've been building this small trommel for a while. It took me long time , because I work at weekends.

I gleaned ideas from various sources online. I have two motors to test/run it , one is a 12v windshield wiper motor the other one is an old Battery powered hand drill. I also have a 120 Watt solar system to run it. Water is provided with a 1200 GPH Bilge pump, I have another one just in case it doesn't provide the necessary flow.

I will update as I go.

The trommel measurements as follows:

The barrel/drum is 34" Long, 11" Wide.

Frame is 16" Wide front and back sides, 27" high from sides, and 48" Long.

Also the height of the end (where there is a tough type wheel is welded to support the barrel from jumping off the end) is 31" high.

The Frame is made of square tubing.

First a few pictures of the frame:

Trommel Frame-1.jpg Trommel Frame-6.jpg Trommel Frame-2.jpg Trommel Frame-3.jpg Trommel Frame-4.jpg Trommel Frame-5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
G

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realized that the screen area is too much, needs to be shorter to let the gravel/rocks spend more time to get washed thoroughly. A new mod is scheduled.

OP
OP
G

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is a bit different then your build, but have a look.

Mike's Hand Trommel

I also looked at Mike's build. Seems working really good at classifying material. I needed a metal trommel since I will not work with alone, I have other partners who are less informed at using such things, needs to be sturdy and survive rough handling ;) not to say anything wrong about Mike's trommel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread