SCREEN IN 4 INCH PVC IDEAS

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a recycling highbanker that connects two barrels with a 4 inch piece of pvc. Currently I use a 4 inch fernco to splice the two stubs from each barrel. I would like to be able to put a screen for organic matter in the splice that I could take apart easily as I am doing cleanouts and remove organic matter. Does anyone have any ideas for a quick connect that I could put the screen in, in a 4 inch diameter pipe or hose? I thought cam lock or threaded fitting like a drain uses but don't know how to get to seal with screen attached. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any screen that you use may plug pretty quickly in the application you are thinking about.

Why are you using 4" pipe? Is your pump drawing that much water?

Have you considered lowering the connecting pipe so that it is well below filled water level thus probably below most of the floating organics? The water level in both tanks will still equalize. Or you could add elbow extensions so that the transfer is of water from beneath the surface as long as the water level does not drop below horizontal pipe level. With either of these you could add a screen with a very large surface area (less likely to plug) to the outlet end if you still have problems
Good luck.

PS: Have you thought of a loose siphon setup instead of a hard pipe connection? Farmers use bent pipes to transfer water up and over ditch walls to their fields all the time or at least they used to where I came from. http://science.howstuffworks.com/siphon-info.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies . I was using a 3 inch but was barely keeping up so am going to 4 inch, also gives larger screen area. Am pulling from under the surface so not a lot of debris but spray bar gets some junk.i'll keep working on it and post some pics when perfected.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A really simple fix if you are getting lots of clogs is remove the spray bar and instead send the water in a jet against a "spreader". The spreader is usually a piece of sheet metal that the spout of water splashes against. It works pretty good and cannot clog.

Last edited:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zip tie ladies pantyhose over the drain that goes into your second barrel where your pump is located and leave it plenty long, when it gets full of crud throw it away and put on a new one.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It's actually easier to make yourself a filter box for the pump(s) to sit in. Form it out of 1/8 hardware cloth and then cover it with window screen. Make one side long enough to make a hook that will go over the edge of your pump barrel. I run dual pumps on my highbanker with them sitting in a box like I described and it works great. If I am working materials with a lot of organics, I just have to reach down and scrape them off the outside of the box every once in a while and I'm good. Works for both field and running materials at home.

I understand what your asking but having a screen that's fine enough mesh to stop the organics from going from barrel "A" to barrel "B" is going to clog up very quickly. Filtering the pump intake water is a lot less hassle to do while running materials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread