Crevassing CA

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Took my training trip to Sacramento then had a few days to get out on the water. Got to some private property on the Cosumnes River but the water was too high from the Valentines weekend rains. Got out to the Yuba River watershed and hiked in about a 1/4 mile upriver. Got to an opening in the path where you could see the river and just then a bald eagle glided right by me not 30 feet in the air above me. Took that as a good sign and climbed down and started to scope out some cracks and crannies to dig into. Found a couple of interesting pockets in the granite and started scraping material. It was tough and got about a cup of material in the pan and decided to pan it out. Got some shine and decided to work it some more. After about 4 hours and 5 pans with a cup of dirt each, this was my take for the day. I considered it a great day and was happy with the gold I got out of 5 cups of scrapings. Can't wait to get back to California to check out some other private land owned by some friends in the Nevada City area!

Yuba River1.jpg crevassinggold.jpg

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold and great story, I was prospecting on Valentines weekend and it was one of the nicest and warmest weekends we have had all winter, surely no rain in gold country that weekend.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That crevice dirt is rich! Wish it was easier to get bucket loads. Make sure you wear a rope and harness if you have to crevasse on the way to the crevices!

OP
OP
T

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nice gold and great story, I was prospecting on Valentines weekend and it was one of the nicest and warmest weekends we have had all winter, surely no rain in gold country that weekend.
Asmbandits, you are right and I stand corrected. It was the previous weekend of February 7th and 8th that we got deluged on the Cosumnes.

OP
OP
T

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
That crevice dirt is rich! Wish it was easier to get bucket loads. Make sure you wear a rope and harness if you have to crevasse on the way to the crevices!

Aufisher, LOL, I stand corrected again! Should have been crevicing not crevassing DOH! Sure was fun and I too wish it was easier to get bucket loads!!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't matter how you spell it. Sniping crevices is great fun. Congrats on the gold.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Placergold is right, be it weather, spelling, the proof us in the pan! Looks to me like good times, I'm heading out this weekend weather permitting to try and see if I can track down some nice bedrock myself.. The area I have in mind is too much of a hike for the bazooka, some trips it pays better to just stick to sniping and crevesing.

OP
OP
T

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Asmbandits, I took my new bazooka and crevicing gear to the Yuba river and when I got there, saw the hands and pans sign so it was crevicing that day. Good fun and great therapy for me! Hope you get into some rich cracks!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice little catch you've got going there.

Good luck, because as you stick with it, sooner or later you'll turn up a nugget! I well remember the first one I found that way. I was completely surprised, but it happened because I stuck with it and kept trying likely looking spots. Sniping can be a ton of fun.

Lanny

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Asmbandits, I took my new bazooka and crevicing gear to the Yuba river and when I got there, saw the hands and pans sign so it was crevicing that day. Good fun and great therapy for me! Hope you get into some rich cracks!

Yeah, lame sauce! Granted the kid that sits in the parking lot shack all day long has probably never seen a bazooka. Riffles, what riffles, this ain't a sluice :P Glad we can still crevice there though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions