Am i wrong with this thought:

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keeping seeing people pouring their materials from bucket to sluice or cradle or whatever they are using.
Wouldnt it be much more efficient to add water to the bucket and do a quick swish or whatever to get the cons to the corner of tilted bucket push out the useless material and get your cup of GOODIES much quicker without having to run a bunch of useless material through whatever method your using. I dont have alot of practical experience, any and comments on the best
methods especially with a bucket involved. Wondering
johnnysau

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all about time. Spend it swishing and hoping you got the gold into the corner of the bucket and then pushing out the 'useless' material and then feeding the sluice, or let the sluice do as it was intended, ridding the useless material and capturing the gold.
Your choice:icon_thumleft:
Bob

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keeping seeing people pouring their materials from bucket to sluice or cradle or whatever they are using.
Wouldnt it be much more efficient to add water to the bucket and do a quick swish or whatever to get the cons to the corner of tilted bucket push out the useless material and get your cup of GOODIES much quicker without having to run a bunch of useless material through whatever method your using. I dont have alot of practical experience, any and comments on the best
methods especially with a bucket involved. Wondering
johnnysau

They have concentrating devices that work on a similar principal, but they cost a lot more than a bucket, and they do a much better job of concentrating the materials.

Plus, once you fill that bucket with water, it's a whole lot heavier to work with, and if it's dry material and you're running it through a sluice, the running water will concentrate it very fast.

Your idea is sound; it just needs refinement to make it functional or practical, but using a sluice may be easier and more efficient than a bucket.

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure is hard to liquefy a whole bucket of material...almost impossible!

OP
OP
J

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The power of water to separate and classify is a very powerful tool under utilized i believe, usually in a bucket theres only
1 tablespoon of material at the bottom that needs to be kept, 99.5% trash .5% cons. If the said bucket is tilted about a 80degree angle the useless material falls out by its self as you add more material and water. No reason to tear up equipment and such with all the by product. And yes you must have the water available to you. I was watching 1 video where the person keep adding dry material from a bucket to the cradle then cradling the material over and over and it made no sense to me, when everything could of been eliminated very quickly utilizing the bucket with the water looking for the .5% at the bottom of the bucket. Maybe what i saw as an illusion of labor anyway ill keep tinkering with my thought.

As always to each his own:
johnnysau

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnnysau, yes, this will work but I wouldn't try it with more than a 1/4 bucket at a time. A five gallon bucket of material is a heavy load. Heavy to handle and heavy for the bucket to handle very many times in this manner. If you truly do this efficiently you can eliminate the sluice and go directly to the pan for final field separation or pack the cons home to cleanup.

Keep thinking outside the box. Each field situation can require different methods. Volume and efficiency are the key to processing large amounts of material.

Mike

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When we go out to the diggins please feel free to do that bucket shaking thing and pour up to 99.5% of your bucket over my sluice.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking of making a two man pan out of a direct TV dish.
So I don't think your out of line

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get an electric cement mixer from Lowes and do what you are talking about.
I know a guy that uses one to break up and wash heavy clay material.

Wes

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You idea is not wrong, but it may take more than a quick swish to get the fines to the bottom. There is on fellow on a Canadian forum who grabs a half bucket of classified material, adds water, slaps on a lid and takes it home for further processing. He noticed that the rocking of the truck and other vibrations pretty much move the gold to the bottom of the bucket.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
your choice, your back,

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a reason you let your gear do the work for you....good idea but, very time consuming.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Easy to test. Try it with the bucket and when you dump out the useless material dump it into a sluice and see what happens.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The power of water to separate and classify is a very powerful tool under utilized i believe, usually in a bucket theres only
1 tablespoon of material at the bottom that needs to be kept, 99.5% trash .5% cons. If the said bucket is tilted about a 80degree angle the useless material falls out by its self as you add more material and water. No reason to tear up equipment and such with all the by product. And yes you must have the water available to you. I was watching 1 video where the person keep adding dry material from a bucket to the cradle then cradling the material over and over and it made no sense to me, when everything could of been eliminated very quickly utilizing the bucket with the water looking for the .5% at the bottom of the bucket. Maybe what i saw as an illusion of labor anyway ill keep tinkering with my thought.

As always to each his own:
johnnysau

Have you thought about achieving the same results efficiently and probably with much less effort?

Here is how. Fill your pan and process only to wash the rocks and to stratify and settle the heavies. Scrape off the top and add more material and repeat. You can do this all day or until most of the material left in the pan is black sands. This is an alternative to your proposed method but the use of a sluice is a lot easier than both and is probably less time consuming for handling the same amount of material.

Good luck.

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i would also dump the useless material through a box, just to have a looksey
Easy to test. Try it with the bucket and when you dump out the useless material dump it into a sluice and see what happens.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i would also dump the useless material through a box, just to have a looksey

And most likely to learn that your bucket shaking was losing a lot of gold due to the material failing to liquefy.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about achieving the same results efficiently and probably with much less effort?

Here is how. Fill your pan and process only to wash the rocks and to stratify and settle the heavies. Scrape off the top and add more material and repeat. You can do this all day or until most of the material left in the pan is black sands. This is an alternative to your proposed method but the use of a sluice is a lot easier than both and is probably less time consuming for handling the same amount of material.

You're absolutely right Arizau. I do this often and it works very well.

I'll classify a bucket of dry material to 1/2 or 1/8th inch and take it to the river. With a large pan and really vigorous agitation, then swipe the top off, refill and go like the dickens, I can process a lot of material. Take a look see in the black sands to see if the material is worthwhile, dump into a plastic coffee can and get another bucket full.

Mike

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

You're absolutely right Arizau. I do this often and it works very well.

I'll classify a bucket of dry material to 1/2 or 1/8th inch and take it to the river. With a large pan and really vigorous agitation, then swipe the top off, refill and go like the dickens, I can process a lot of material. Take a look see in the black sands to see if the material is worthwhile, dump into a plastic coffee can and get another bucket full.

Mike

And it is even easier with this pan......... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/453068-ez-gold-pan.html#post4421337

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Using buckets in general while sluicing is very very inefficient.
You must dig into a bucket, the either do the fluidized swishing thing here which would take minutes and minutes, or re shovel the material i to a sluice. As far as Efficiency, and practicality goes, shoveling constantly and directly into your sluice will result in the best capture rates, and most material moved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread