10610752_10206298348442773_6673278287457508665_n.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Won't be long now - the Canadian Grey wolf is the next thing that California will see roaming their back yards.

6.JPG

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the King fire pushed a lot of wild life towards town. Thanks for the heads up, I spend most of my time in this area.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just got some footage of some here in Santa Cruz 3 miles from downtown. One of the neighbors shot one last fall after it took a goat from her pen. We were warned that killing a mature one would bring more into the neighborhood to compete for the open territory. Now there are 3 juveniles roaming the woods here. The best protection is a dog or 2. Keep your livestock locked up tight in a well made pen and since they primarily hunt at night, don't go running through the woods at night. They have always been here and are part of the environment.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last couple of trips out to the claim, dog has stayed close to me, very usually for her normally running around, I'm hour north east of Auburn

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My in-laws live in Nevada City and they are around up there too. We just see them more in Santa Cruz...less open space I guess. The bear population is doing well up there too!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep on the dogs, local young lady has her life thanks to her dog sacrificing his and jumping in between her and the cat going after her. We are inundated with bears and cats in our area. We don't waste our time or money raising livestock on our property anymore, nothing but magnets and a dinner bell. Not to mention a risk I won't take with grandkids running all over the place. We have had several cat kills within two hundred yards of the house. The results of removing us as the apex predator in the food chain are becoming crystal clear.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If "your" dog stayed close to you then I would guess something with a twitchy tail is in the area. Hi Fella how ya doin? I had a buddy text me yesterday, it read "are you alive". I responded: NO, I'm in Texas. Nothing against Texas just my situation here.

Of all the years I spent in the Sierras I never saw a Mt. Lion but I'm sure I was seen by at least one. The country I go into is way off the beaten track and lots of deer so the cats must have been there. I know the bears sure are........................63bkpkr

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor cats all hungry and starving. I bet the same biologist who did the dredging is bad bad bad for fish are still saying they are endangered and few. I wonder if it is legal to introduce feline leukemia to the warm and fuzzy little cats.

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apex predator?
Maybe we should re-introduce that animal on the State flag LOL
That'll set the food chain right. That way when we are out prospecting in the hills we could get a true 1850s gold rush experience.
Been in California foothills for years and years, rather deal with cats than grizz any day, it's all in perspective, I guess....

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cats are far more dangerous than bears when it comes to being stalked.

Bears will and do stalk, and they can be stealthy too, but cats excel at stealth.

A dog on a chain or rope in a backyard when cougars are around is a snack on a rope! If the dog is loose, it at least has a chance, but on a rope or chain, it's fast food.

John, thanks for the picture and for the heads-up for others.

Better warned than dead.

All the best,

Lanny

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apex predator?
Maybe we should re-introduce that animal on the State flag LOL
That'll set the food chain right. That way when we are out prospecting in the hills we could get a true 1850s gold rush experience.
Been in California foothills for years and years, rather deal with cats than grizz any day, it's all in perspective, I guess....

I was refering to us not being a threat to them - "those predators not preyed upon as healthy adults in the wild", not the Grizzly. Although I see your point, lol!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
S. Arizona has a jaguar documented to be roaming around in and near the Greaterville gold district S.E. of Tucson. The wackos are using it, among other reasons, as an excuse to stop the development of a new major open pit copper mine. Jaguar roves near Rosemont mine site

Cougars and bears are also around but are not protected except by license as far as I know and pests or threats are relocated or eliminated. A rabid bobcat attacked a couple of hikers in the same area a few years back if my memory is correct.

Funny story....A friend of mine related a story about a hunting trip across the mountain range from where Greaterville is located where he saw his friend was being chased round and round a prickly pear cactus cluster by an emu, of all things, to avoid being pecked. After some standoffs, a few laps and back and forths it gave up and ran off. Obviously it had escaped from someones pen.

Stay alert, stay safe!

Last edited:

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know Mt lions roamed in packs. Crazy picture of them.
I'm always looking over my shoulder, Mt lions and the cartels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't know Mt lions roamed in packs. Crazy picture of them.
I'm always looking over my shoulder, Mt lions and the cartels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has to be mama and triplet cubs. Alien smugglers are problem here for near Mexico border areas. I don't go where I used to go. Bummer.

Last edited:

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might see Bigfoot too...

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
never go to the woods without a gun . the one time i did was the one time i had a cat 30 yards from me. could feel the blood drain from my face.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yikes! I've seen two before camped out on the bridge to our old abode. We've lost goats to coyotes (hear them more than see them, although one did run across the yard once in broad daylight!), raccoons, fox (saw one today), and all of their woodland friends. Evan saw a bear running down the road once. Wish they'd eat all the stupid deer that run in front of my truck! Apparently we have enough deer to feed the lions and still have plenty left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread