Lemons to Lemonade

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
So I did a little prospecting upriver at mineral bar on Sunday. I made the fateful decision to wear basketball shorts instead of the trusty jeans that I normally wear because of the nice weather. Well, talk about a bad choice! On my hike in there's a shortcut that i always take where I have to do a little rock jumping accross the river to avoid going up and over the mountain following the trail. As i took my first step accross..KERPLUNK! I look down and see my phone (Samsung S5 Active) get caught in the current until it got wedged between bedrock and cobbles some 5 feet under water.

So I promptly removed my shirt and shoes and jumped in to retrieve my phone. Thankfully i got it and after drying out yesterday it's working again today. I'm a big sissy when it comes to cold water but surprisingly it really wasn't that bad. It was actually a kind of refreshing way to break up the hike. I've been really interested in sniping but have been reluctant because of my hate for cold water. But after my dip in the north fork yesterday I cant wait for May. I'm going in!!!
20150308_101247.jpg

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHR it seems like you chose your online moniker correctly. LOL. I guess we've all been there in one way or another. G ?l

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOHR, get a good snorkel and face mask. Another whole world of prospecting. You're going to love it and find good gold.

Mike

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you were more interested in receiving text messages than prospecting.......Good luck

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you were more interested in receiving text messages than prospecting.......Good luck

LOL, i actually despise the texts and calls while I'm out. I bring my phone so that i can track my hikes and so that i can take pictures and video just for you AZADAM :laughing7:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am surprised your phone survived. Great story!

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its an S5 Active, and you had to dry it out to get it to work again?

Do you have an aftermarket back plate on it?

My Active has taken a few spills, to more than 5' depth, and never had a problem. (though I've gotten it out of the water within about a minute)

They are rated at 3' for 30 minutes, but in my experience, it is hardier then that.

(have owned an s5 active since may 2014)

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Its an S5 Active, and you had to dry it out to get it to work again?

Do you have an aftermarket back plate on it?

My Active has taken a few spills, to more than 5' depth, and never had a problem. (though I've gotten it out of the water within about a minute)

They are rated at 3' for 30 minutes, but in my experience, it is hardier then that.

(have owned an s5 active since may 2014)

Yes S5 Active, and no on the aftermarket back plate. I'm not sure what happened but it worked for about 30 minutes after the "Kerplunk" and then shut off until later that day. Even now, it still has condensation on the camera lenses so i cant take pictures... but it seems to be going away slowly but surely. It was only in the water for about a minute. I'm a little disapointed that i had any water issues with it, but at least it's still working lol.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried putting it in a microwave? Sometimes that's helpful. LOL

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take out the battery and put it into a bag of dry rice. If you are lucky, the moisture will migrate from the electronics into the rice.

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Take out the battery and put it into a bag of dry rice. If you are lucky, the moisture will migrate from the electronics into the rice.

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll try the rice and if that doesnt work i might consider the microwave...although that just sounds scary lol..Either way I'll be back out on the river on Friday..looks like it will be a comfortable 72 degrees :headbang:

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should have put it in rice immediately or as soon as possible, it's now time for a new phone :evil6:

Actually, no, the S5 Active is a really durable phone, so if he puts it in rice (to remove the condensation on the lens), his phone will probably be just fine.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Without all of the spills and thrills of river adventures while chasing the gold, the chase would sometimes be far less memorable.

If you can afford it, get a wetsuit and a weight-belt to use until the water's warmer, or if your mountain-fresh water never warms up (like mine never does), the wetsuit, hood, and gloves combo can't be beat.

All the best,

Lanny

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know what my next phone will be courtesy of this thread :laughing7:

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice Lanny. Shouldn't be too expensive if i find a used wetsuit...I heard that can be sketchy assuming many people pee in their suits lol but oh well, whatever i gotta do to save a dollar!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Lanny. Shouldn't be too expensive if i find a used wetsuit...
I heard that can be sketchy assuming many people pee in their suits lol but oh well, whatever i gotta do to save a dollar!

As long as you come up this way, stop in at Pioneer Mining in Auburn and look real hard at their prospectors wet suit. With regular scuba suits the arms are made to hang down at your sides but with Pioneer's the arm are made to be able to work in front of you. This wet suit is made for mining. I called them since they don't have them on the website and they want $220 for them new and this is a good deal for a quality suit. I've been buying only these suits from them now for decades because my arms don't ache from having to pull them forward to work like in a scuba wet suit. You flat out just don't have the fatigue to deal with of trying to force a scuba wet suit to move in directions that it wasn't made for.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Reed. Are these prospectors wet suites of a particular brand? One of my sons attends UC Davis. Maybe when I go down to visit I can pop over to Auburn and check them out or I can study up on how they size and maybe order one. Fighting currents and rocks is enough without having to fight a wet-suit as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread