Gold Scoop for quick sampling

kengold

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was prospecting recently and tried two plastic scoops as a way of quick sampling. One was a GRG gold scoop (which I do not think is made any more) and the other was a Gold Trapper Scoop sold by Adventures In Prospecting Mining Supplies. The GRG did not work well mainly because it was difficult to see gold in the relatively deep riffles and to get rid of black sand and it also did not stand up to digging but the Gold trapper Scoop did catch gold and was relatively easy to use. I like the idea of a small scoop that will both dig samples and test them in one piece of equipment because I can put it in my pocket when I am out walking and do a lot of quick sampling-I could then come back later with better equipment.

Does anyone know of any other similar device which might be even better than the Gold Trapper Scoop -it seemed to me that that would have benefitted from another larger riffle at the back?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jobe green plastic scoop. great for detecting and strong enough o dig with.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I have one of those Gold Trapper Scoops. Wore that sucker down feeding my sluice boxes my first year. Never thought of using it as a sampler. With my claim, I use the ten pan method for sampling now. It's quick and I can sample a bucket of material rather than a scoop. But I will keep this idea in reserve and go get a new scoop from my supplier just in case. It just occurred to me, I could use it to test my tailings???

OP
OP
K

kengold

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the ideas-it is really useful to be able to carry something small and unobtruisive around that does all the sampling in one esay hit. I might have to design a little scoop with riffles lke a pan. The Gold trapper does work but I think could use one extra slightly higher riffle which curves aropund behind the two small ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread