got a new pick

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
found this with the nails still in the head, no wood left of course. found at a pocket dig site that looks as if it has never been detected, redding area. disregaurd the gold in the pic, it is accumulated, only sniped three tiny peices today, to get the skunk off me. gold fever.jpg

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a placer miner's pic for use in audits. It was something discussed on an old Gold Trails and Ghost Towns show.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
the area just a few miles away is riddled with audits, so thats not a surprize. i was amazed how good the condition was, and the icing on the cake was the two nails still in the head, the wood completely gone, understandably so for a 130+/- year old axe head

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That pick head has seen some hard use it looks like.

I found one almost identical to that with my metal detector. It was deep in a concreted deposit that had slumped. The pick head itself was imbedded rock solid in the concreted material once I dug the slump away, left right where it had snapped from the handle all those years ago.

Always fun to find them, and oh, the stories they could tell . . .

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
my thought exactly, a very nice relic, but youll know when i find that nugget, youll hear me screaming all the way from alberta.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
what would you say it is dave? not the best pic but i think itll work

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
no stamp that i can see, it pitted pretty bad. there is possibly a line about inch and a half long on either side of one end. but hard to tell. one side is easy to see the other side is too pitted to know. the one side could very well be from use. cool find though its a wall hanger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread