black sand clean up

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
I was out prospecting in Montana last weekend
and there was this old guy who just showed up and started sluicing upstream from me a ways
He seemed friendly so i decided to go chat with him
he gave me a lot of useful info and let me pick his brain about the local geography and different techniques
he saw that i had a large amount of black sand and said i should take some nitric acid to that and i would be amazed at how much gold would release from the lot. I explained that i am canadian and that nitric acid and mercury are very difficult to obtain here without a business licence
I am wondering on procedure for cleaning black sands with nitric acid and if anyone knows any industrial applications for nitric acid
whereby i could obtain it with less difficulty?
thanks

Upvote 0

digger61

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
I've got some questions about this as well.....isn't cracking the black sand via salt and heat as good as going to the trouble of grinding it up? I thought about cracking my sand and then putting in an old ice cream maker along with citric acid, some ball bearings and letting it tumble for 24 hours. Would this achieve approximately the same results as crushing do you think? Going to a claim in a week or two that has a LOT of fines and flour gold in the topsoil and I don't want to let one speck get away through my black sand or anywhere else!

Traveller

Sep 22, 2010
digger

From what I understand, salt roasting, cracking and acid soak achieve the same results as grinding. Most authorities agree that roasting will burn off pyrites bound to particles of gold (watch out for arsenic fumes from arsenopyrites) and acid will consume any iron particles binding gold particles.

The ball bearings rolling around in your ice cream maker are basically a re-invention of the ball mill. If left long enough, you will likely get the same reduction in particle size as his roller mill does and free up just as much fine gold.

What I don't understand is the concentration of citric acid to use. It can be bought in the powder form at a reasonable price. Can one make as strong a solution of acid from the powder as needed?

Regards

Bob

likely gold

Jun 19, 2011
Hi guys & gals; I'm a placer miner in the cariboo reg in B.C. Canada, I get a lot of very fine gold and have come to the conclusion the only realist way to handle my cons is to reconcentrate and then pour a dore bar. My question is, I run about 2/3 iron sulfides and 1/3 black sands,,, does anybody know what I should use for the best flux? thank you....tlt

Mineexplorer

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand smelting

Have you manage to smelt the black sand and get your gold out of them

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
To smelt black sand directly it needs to have a HIGH amount of visible gold in it. If not then you wont have much luck at all smelting it , just wind up with a chunk of nastly looking slag. Not all black sand will have coated gold hiding as black sand. You also have to take into consideration that you need cone molds to pour the melt into so your gold will go to and be concentrated at the bottom. You really shouldnt try to smelt any more at a time than will fit in your mold , and unless you have a lot of them , that limits your melt to just a small amount , since you need room for the melted flux too. The best thing to do is run all your concentrates over a miller table , sucking up all the visible gold you see into a snuffer bottle. When you get enough in the bottle you can smelt that , since it will be mostly visible gold with probably just a small amount of sand mixed in it. If you are careful , you will have only gold in the bottle and you can get away with just "melting" it in a melting dish with a torch. Blindly smelting black sand because you assume there is gold in it though will generally not help you any. A miller table is your best friend when it comes to getting fine gold out of your concentrates and even though you can buy them they are easy and way cheap to make.

ForrestAdian

Jul 11, 2012
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had a lot of good results with rare earth magnets. I can get 3 to 4 times as much black sand out of my gold with them. With a little extra time I can get the gold virtually 99 percent clean, and avoid the chemicals/extra costs. If you want to try I got mine from a place called Grainger (6-7$).

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
[SIZE=+1]The very first thing I do is dry and classify.
Dry is always best when classification is going below 50 mesh.
When you are classifying, never go more than 2X the mesh size. I start with 8 mesh then 16, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 200, and 400 mesh.
Then I remove the magnetics from each size.
I get a little anal about the black sands, I store them all in their individual sizes. Someday I'll figure out why. I do have a video out there that shows my black sand removal technique. Works well with totally dry or totally under water wet, If it is just damp it is sticky and is like a claw grabbing everything. After I get all the non-magnetics out, it's time to pan.
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]My favorite pan style:
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]The pan I like best is the black 10" with the bottom 1/4" dropped straight down. The stone tap is a very sharp tap, an angled bottom to side conversion can't stop the gold from climbing. The 1/4" 90º wall at the bottom will stop it dead in it's tracks. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Then I start the panning process:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
Now all you have to do is start by normal panning to minimize your material, get as much light stuff out as you can over a catch pan. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]I'll take care of the easy stuff first, 100 and above. Nothing special here, The Golden Rule is, if everything in your pan is the same size, gold RULES! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] This is the rub your belly pat your head part.
I back wash in the pan with water moving from front-to-back not round and round. I hold the pan, as a clock at 11:30 with my left hand on top, then I put my pocket knife or a rock in my right hand for tapping.
When back washing you are looking for the water to move up both sides and collide at 12:00, just like waves on a beach. This way, if there is any gold trying to get away from the edges, the wash current will send it back and center it.
When you are ready to clean the gold, settle it all at 12:00. With the left hand, grab the pan at 11:30 and grab the rock with the right. Start the wave motion, adjust the angle until the material just starts to move.
It's kind of a rhythm now. Tap the pan at 12:30 at a rate of about 3 taps per second. At the same time keep the wave action going at a pace of 1 second per cycle, front to back. Now if you think you can keep it straight, hesitate while the water is over the material at the far end of the pan, 12:00, for 2 taps then back wash. That little hesitation will really concentrate the gold in a smiley face. As the face shows up, you can stop tapping and just wash, then tap as needed to keep control of the gold. It's the sharp tap that persuades the little stuff to climb. Panning that little stuff is a real joy, but It does take some practice.

Mike[/SIZE]

TyD59

Nov 2, 2011
SW Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the technique Gold Cube Mike! I l also love my Gold Cube!

I ran across your old post, and I am wondering, do you process the ferris and non-ferris material that you separated? You said after you get all the non-magnetics out, it's time to pan, but the magnet pulls the ferris particles out. I'm thinking you meant pull out the ferris particles, pan the non-ferris material? Have you found the ferris material to not contain much gold?
-TyD

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike's description of finish panning is really good, I would only add that you want a smooth bottom pan for his tapping technique to work well.

@Mike - I save all of my dried, classified heavies too, am also not sure why. Maybe I should just run them back thru a Gold Cube (bigger stuff first) and then dump it all in my back garden....hmm

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like saving all my black sands. I think the reason might be the fact that even if you don't hit any of the shiny, at least you have evidence that the technique is right.

Also, looking at it under a USB microscope is kinda cool, too.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I observed Mike in person at a seminar in Dayton Ohio this year where he demonstrated his "Pat Your Head Rub Your Belly" style of walking the gold to the edge of the black sand in the bottom of a gold pan and I was impressed at how easily he did it.

After he showed me the correct angle to tap the pan, I now have no trouble getting the gold to immediately walk the line. I could do it before but it took way longer and never as consistent.

Thanks Again Mike,
GG~

Last edited:

Ayeyou

Dec 22, 2012
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running your concentrates on a Miller table should not be the end of your treatment of those cons. Attached is an assay that I had done on the tailings from my Miller table. The sample contained NO visible gold and yet assayed at 2449 grams per ton gold remaining in those " tailings". I am trying to figure out the best method of extracting these values being as we produce 1/2 ton day of the concentrate in our placer operation.

assay.jpg

I have managed to extract gold at a value of 500 grams per ton using Mercury but obviously I am missing the most of the gold.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To smelt black sand directly it needs to have a HIGH amount of visible gold in it. If not then you wont have much luck at all smelting it , just wind up with a chunk of nastly looking slag. Not all black sand will have coated gold hiding as black sand. You also have to take into consideration that you need cone molds to pour the melt into so your gold will go to and be concentrated at the bottom. You really shouldnt try to smelt any more at a time than will fit in your mold , and unless you have a lot of them , that limits your melt to just a small amount , since you need room for the melted flux too. The best thing to do is run all your concentrates over a miller table , sucking up all the visible gold you see into a snuffer bottle. When you get enough in the bottle you can smelt that , since it will be mostly visible gold with probably just a small amount of sand mixed in it. If you are careful , you will have only gold in the bottle and you can get away with just "melting" it in a melting dish with a torch. Blindly smelting black sand because you assume there is gold in it though will generally not help you any. A miller table is your best friend when it comes to getting fine gold out of your concentrates and even though you can buy them they are easy and way cheap to make.

I have read that......

"One way to keep from ending up with the glob of slag is by smelting the Ore to lead, then rabbeling it in zinc to recover the gold and silver then by skimming off the zinc and running it through a distillation process to remove it, thus leaving the gold and silver as a dore that could be refined."

*NOTE "the black sand must be roasted first to remove any sulfur, or the sulfur will convert the lead into lead sulfide,
and seriously mess up the process."

I have no idea what "rabbeling" is :icon_scratch:

I also found this:
http://nevada-outback-gems.com/Reference_pages/smelting_n_roast.htm

Am unable to find any commercial refiners who refine black sand concentrates. Anyone know of any?

GG~

Last edited:

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sorry but the numbers posted seem OUTRAGEOUS to me. 2449 gms per ton !
I would look very carefully at the assay and its interpertation im looking at the PPM of 10 and the meaning there, which is about .291 OZS per ton
which makes sense.
Like Judge Judy says, if it sounds to good to be true, it probaly isnt.

Though as a potential prospector i hope your numbers are true, But i would be very skeptical.
johnnysau

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodguy, could you explain what that magic correct angle is for tapping?

Ok but you're going to owe me .........:tongue3:

I had been doing it wrong by tapping straight at the edge of the pan in the direction as shown by the arrow.
wrongpan.jpg

The correct way is to tap the pan downward on the same angle as the sides of the pan as shown by the arrow. What a difference it makes!
rightpan.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

blacksand

Greenie
Sep 15, 2013
Good morning young man. I too have a large amount of black sand. They say depending on which area you reclaim your gold and black sand from can determine how much gold is present in the concentrate. As a basic rule of thumb, four out of every ten grains of black sand is oxide covered gold.(micron but still gold) I have found that by using a flux and heating the mixture in a kiln I can recover all the gold or platinum values. You get some pretty glass out of it too. The flux is made from chemicals you may have around your home or shop. Salt Pieter(potassium nitrate) is sold as stump rotter in garden stores. Borax can be bought off the grocery shelf. And finally silica sand is usually sold as grit for sand blasting. Mix as a formula and place the mixture in a crucible. Apply heat to the seventh cone and let the mixture cool slow. Glass is formed from the process and has a tendencyto cool quicker than the metal, so it sometimes pops (really hot!! may stick to you, let it cool!!) I tried the method with two table spoon fulls of black sand, equal part of flux and voila' after the melting and the cooling. I had a disk of gold the size of a dime and half as thick. I collect my black sand all year and smelt it in the fall. Out of a ten pound jar we got three pounds of gold. It still needed assaying but they pay you separately for the platinum and we have alot of platinum in our local streams. Have fun, be extremely careful.

Hello All,

Who is Wallace J? Does anyone know him and can get in touch with him? I need to know the quantities he used in his formulations as well as the type of kiln and accessories used.

Thanks.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Running your concentrates on a Miller table should not be the end of your treatment of those cons. Attached is an assay that I had done on the tailings from my Miller table. The sample contained NO visible gold and yet assayed at 2449 grams per ton gold remaining in those " tailings". I am trying to figure out the best method of extracting these values being as we produce 1/2 ton day of the concentrate in our placer operation.

View attachment 715501

I have managed to extract gold at a value of 500 grams per ton using Mercury but obviously I am missing the most of the gold.

Whoa! Thats a whole lot of tiny gold!

So more gold made it past your sluice and miller table than they caught?

Johnnysau: the report says: >10 (more than 10)

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im sorry but the numbers posted seem OUTRAGEOUS to me. 2449 gms per ton !
I would look very carefully at the assay and its interpertation im looking at the PPM of 10 and the meaning there, which is about .291 OZS per ton
which makes sense.
Like Judge Judy says, if it sounds to good to be true, it probaly isnt.

Though as a potential prospector i hope your numbers are true, But i would be very skeptical.
johnnysau

The Lucky Buck mine produces 1.8 grams per cubic meter - a little more than a yard. Seems to be a pretty good deposit but it's coarse gold, no indication of black sand wealth in the geologist reports. I think the original poster misunderstood the assay reports.

Ayeyou sold the mine a few years ago and it's for sale again. It's below my cutoff for gold mining (~3 grams/yard) but with good access, good luck and a long season it might produce some profit.

Here is what has already been worked:

Lucky-Buck-Gold-Mine-For-Sale-5.jpg

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread