Prospecting in shale-heavy areas - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Prospecting in shale-heavy areas

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2013
    Bounty Hunter
    288 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would think the wire gold would be very rare, seems like it would have to be formed in soft rock that disagrades and or buried in soft material to protect it
    ‘There once was a time in history when the limitation of governmental power meant increasing liberty for the people. In the present day the limitation of governmental power, of governmental action, means the enslavement of the people by the great corporations, who can only be held in check through the extension of governmental power.’

- Theodore Roosevelt, ‘Limitation of Governmental Power’ address at the Coliseum, San Francisco, September 14, 1912

us
    Prospector-Miner-Collector

Jul 2014
    N.E. Tennessee
    Shovels....lots of shovels!
    1280 times
    Minerals,Gemstones,Opals,Fossils & more!
    Possibly a manganiferous iron ore combination there.
    AuSomeness likes this.

Fine Minerals & Gemstones from the Appalachians

- My Land Matters -
    Advanced Prospecting Tools

In memory of our Brother "EagleDown" 1937-2014

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12175 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Your " Shale" may be slate. What color? The gray material is its decomposed self that has settled in the cracks. Kind of a gun metal color right. Those are pyrite crystals. You will find them in good gold ore and in the wall rock I.E Slate http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.co...useum/8513.jpg
    Vs the pyrites typically found in shale https://www.google.com/search?q=shal...yrite+crystals
    AuSomeness likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AuSomeness View Post
    Thanks for the info, GoldpannerDave. I tend to play it safe.
    Yes, better safe than sorry. Arsenic certainly can kill, but given all the parameters, I think it is a very small risk for your situation. A group back in Persia about a millennium ago used to eat arsenic to build up an immunity to it; that group has the name that came to be known as the Assassins. Rumor has it that the immunity to arsenic was then used as a tool in assassination. Sort of like "The man in black" and iocaine powder, I suppose.

Aug 2014
    California
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    There are many places in calif where the shale has great gold. Like pages in a book fulla gold.Especially the Merced...John
    Near the Merced is where this material was found, John. I had to think about it, but this was during one of my first outings. If I remember correctly, I got the idea to look at this type of rock from EagleDown's thread. I'd love to find a "book" like that. I could read all day!
    Remembering EagleDown - The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA
    Mineral Identification - MinDat
    TreasureNet Rock and Mineral Identification Thread - Got a Rock You Want Identified?

Aug 2014
    California
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Your " Shale" may be slate. What color? The gray material is its decomposed self that has settled in the cracks. Kind of a gun metal color right. Those are pyrite crystals. You will find them in good gold ore and in the wall rock I.E Slate http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.co...useum/8513.jpg
    Vs the pyrites typically found in shale https://www.google.com/search?q=shal...yrite+crystals
    The original host-rock these crystals was in was actually more of a black color, thinly-layered, and brittle. That's why I called it shale. Does that sound right? I do believe you are correct in that I did confuse the two with the new material I found, which is slate! You hit the nail on the head with your examples. It's incredible what one can learn. Many thanks for the reply!
    TreasureNet Rock and Mineral Identification Thread - Got a Rock You Want Identified?

Aug 2014
    California
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DDancer View Post
    Pyrite crystals.
    It looks like you are right, DDancer. I am surprised at how different these crystals look from the free-floating stuff you find in rivers. Amazing! Thanks for the reply.
    DDancer likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1714 times
    Metal Detecting
    No worries AU Panned plenty of it and knocked it outta alota rocks as well. If you finding that then if there is gold it'll be right along with the pyrites. As others have pointed out arsenic is not a problem provided you don't eat it or drink the water Placer gold in slates and shales likes to work down into the cracks and often gets pretty flattened out in the process. Decomposed slate is the best area to look and sniping tools are a plus. Good luck and heavy pans.
    AuSomeness and Hoser John like this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AuSomeness View Post
    Thanks for the info, GoldpannerDave. I tend to play it safe.

Then be careful of what California wines you drink. Some have higher than 10 ppb (amount allowed in water). The 10 ppb is 0.01 mg/kg, well below the LD50. Still over 80 wines sold in California for $5-$10 a bottle have between 10 and 50 ppb.

Canada has a wine standard, the US doesn't and using the drinking water level isn't really a good standard for wine for a number of reasons. Canada's standard is about 10 times the US drinking water standard. All the wines passed Canada's standard, so it is really not too big a deal. Just thought I would mention it just in case....

Arsenic In California Wines: Should Drinkers Be Concerned? : The Salt : NPR

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4723 times
    Prospecting
    There can be Arsenopyrite in shale formations and it can be in higher levels. It is common throughout the Motherlode along with Asbestos. Don't eat either of them. Other than that you should be OK. Also don't vaporize mercury and inhale it. Don't drop large cobbles on your big toe, either singly or in multiple combinations.
    Goldwasher, arizau and et1955 like this.

Aug 2014
    California
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenmojo View Post
    There can be Arsenopyrite in shale formations and it can be in higher levels. It is common throughout the Motherlode along with Asbestos. Don't eat either of them.
    Are you _sure_? It looks SO TASTY!
    goldenmojo likes this.

Jan 2013
    257 times
    I've been dealing with the same stuff. Has a silvery coatingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20195113015146.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	1690142

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links