whats an average day net a couple of newbees in CA?

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's an average day net a couple of newbees in CA?

me an my wife are new to prospecting but i've read a lot and watch a lot of videos so i think i have a good starting point. i'm sure proper sluice and panning technique and finding good locations will take us a bit of time to get dialed in perfect, but we are both very keen to learn.

plus we'll be living in a van on the side of a river so we have 7 days a week, 8 hrs/day (ok, i guess we need to go shopping sometime) but anyhow, a lot of time to put into it.

so assuming we don't completely suck, what realistically could we expect to pull out of CA gold country rivers per day on average?

in weight and/or dollars?

i realize it impossible to say exactly, depends if i find a good spot, know what i'm doing, move a lot of dirt, etc, but what's a ball park figure? $5 a day, $20, $100?

any thoughts please?

thanks

Upvote 0

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Drywashing in southern Ca, working for about 4-5 hours and then processing concentrates for another hour or two at home, a good average for me has been about .5 gram per day. So $25-30 per day on average. Some days are better and some are worse. If I spend all day digging and drywashing, I do better.

I do this approximately once a week for fun and I'm a firefighter in great shape. Seven days a week will beat you up. Once you get your recovery to a good level of efficiency, you're at the mercy of how much gold is in the ground.

I'm happy when I break even on fuel costs and doubt I'll pay off my equipment in the next few years. You will have to be on stellar ground to make a living doing this. It's definitely possible!... but the odds are not favorable. Most rivers have been mined to some extent.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sniping may get you more gold than sluicing, consider that too. Read ALL of Mad Marshall's posts since makes a living doing what you plan and he seems happy with it. Good luck and have fun!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where and what your using predicates that,along with your experience level. There is a massive amount to learn,who,what where and why. Join a local club and they'll assist and help keep you out of trouble as the homeless,crankster gangsters,gangs are definately harming many so always err on the side of caution-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.5 gram take does not work out to 25 to 30 bucks...you have to consider where your selling. Once you have a decent spot up north one that you can spend some time at. And where you can move around 2/3 of a yard you may average around a gram a day. If your sniping and in a good area you can get a pennyweight...a half ounce or more it depends on where you are. You may also get a couple pennyweight from one crack and 10 grains in the entire 100 square feet around you.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah.... Youthful enthusiasm.... Gotta love it.
There are so many variables to this that it really is impossible to give you a good answer. You may hit a hot spot one day and the next is a complete washout.
I wish you much luck in your endeavor ..... You will definitely be getting your exercise.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calif is a big state Steve. No /So? Either way the prospector life isn't push button. Plan about three days/wk producing. 3 sampling. One day off from digging. It may be that you'll find producing ground and it'll keep paying. It may not. How long do you plan to keep it up? What do you need? 1/4 oz a week? 1/2?

Also, are you young?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Take it from me, it takes tons of research, effort and perseverance to make this work. You have to have a lot of experience, the right tools and a lot of luck to be able to make a wage at small scale mining. I've been prospecting for years in many different areas across the country and each and every one of them has been different. What works in California may not work in Arizona. Heck, sometimes it won't even work a few miles away. The biggest mistake people make is to go out and buy a bunch of gear before they even know where they will be working. You have to let the terrain dictate the gear or you're going to waste a lot of money on things you either don't need or can't use. Buying more than the basics before hand is a good way to go broke. Get the basics down, do your research, including your due diligence, and then figure out what is needed to work the area in the most effective way.

As an example I offer you this. The area I'm currently in has TONS of magnatite sands in it. Approximately 90-95 percent of the black sands. Running my recirculating highbanker to process materials was not a good choice because the magnatite packed the matting up so fast that I was flat boarding in no time. By switching over to my drop riffle sluice I started getting more gold with a lot less magnatite in the cons. Equipment choice can make you or break you so keep that in mind!

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.5 gram take does not work out to 25 to 30 bucks...you have to consider where your selling. Once you have a decent spot up north one that you can spend some time at. And where you can move around 2/3 of a yard you may average around a gram a day. If your sniping and in a good area you can get a pennyweight...a half ounce or more it depends on where you are. You may also get a couple pennyweight from one crack and 10 grains in the entire 100 square feet around you.

thanks to all for the replies. we are planning to spend 5 month in CA gold country this year and if we can break even on living expenses, probably come back every year. my wife is Thai and we live in Thailand for 6 month/year. i hope after 5 months of full time prospecting i've started to get a feel for what's possible.

our cost of living in a van should be $20-30 a day, especially if we are not driving around a lot. we camp on free NF and BLM land, we have a dual sport bike to run into town for shopping, have solar for electric, etc.

Goldwasher, how much does a gram a day of CA river gold sell for right now?

thanks, steve

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i realize it impossible to say exactly, depends if i find a good spot, know what i'm doing, move a lot of dirt, etc, but what's a ball park figure? $5 a day, $20, $100?

Yes! Good Luck!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before getting my hopes up too high I would wait till you've spent a day prospecting/ mining. It's HARD work. Not saying it can't be done but very few make wages at this. Only the best and most dedicated. in my opinion most people here do this because they enjoy it, it's fun. At least in my case anyway. It takes a rare person to want to spend the day shoveling rocks in the blistering sun all day. Expect to have bloody hands, cuts, bruises. An aching back and one hell of a sunburn! God...that actually is making me jones for the river a bit. Lol

Anyways I wouldn't worry about equipment so much. You can order something anytime and have it in less than a week. I would by a pan,small pick and a collapsible shovel. Then let things unfold. You'll either get the fever or you wont.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That umbrella will make all the difference.

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a couple words of wisdom for you. First research your areas on google earth. Find remote trails that take you where no one wants to go. You will need a 4x4 vehicle. Since almost all the streams and rivers in norcal are claimed, you need to go to the wild and scenic areas to get any gold legally. My advice would be to get a sluice that doesnt require classification screens like a bazooka. If you can get a gram of gold per day sluicing, you are doing extremely well. 90% of th egold i get from sluicing is fine gold. If you get into sniping you will get larger pieces that add up faster. It took me a whole summer of prospecting to figure out what i was doing. Its like going to school so that one day you will understand how to do things so you can get paid.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a couple words of wisdom for you. First research your areas on google earth. Find remote trails that take you where no one wants to go. You will need a 4x4 vehicle. Since almost all the streams and rivers in norcal are claimed, you need to go to the wild and scenic areas to get any gold legally. My advice would be to get a sluice that doesnt require classification screens like a bazooka. If you can get a gram of gold per day sluicing, you are doing extremely well. 90% of th egold i get from sluicing is fine gold. If you get into sniping you will get larger pieces that add up faster. It took me a whole summer of prospecting to figure out what i was doing. Its like going to school so that one day you will understand how to do things so you can get paid.

that's pretty much my plan, but using My Land Matters together with GE and google maps and Backcountry Navigator on the GPS phone

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1 gram of pure gold is about $40. Wild gold is varying in purity and if you sell to someone in a storefront remember they gotta pay rent and wages so you'll get a bit over $30/gram. Sell online, direct to consumers and get more if you have the time.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it helps this is what I got with a pan today. The second pic is what Sample Pan Dan got with a sluice today, the same area. I have no idea how much this is worth.

IMG_5516.JPG IMG_5524.JPG

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice. anyone care to guess how much that those two are worth?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hard to say with all that black sand and without a scale. Go read my prospectors journal to see lots of gold pics with the weights noted.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can beat yourself up all day and pay for your gas If You Live Nearby. I'm going to guess 1.17 grams

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread