Jon Boat Dredge

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone ever seen or used a small (10'-14') jon boat that was turned into a dredge? So basically im planning on building a 5 inch dredge and want to use a jon boat as the flotation for it with the power jet and sluice discharge going through the haul. Has anyone ever seen this done. If you have pics please post.

Thank you,

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I seem to recall a episode of Gold Fever with Tom Massey and he went minning with a NASCAR? driver who had his crew convert a jon boat into a dredge.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Oak your correct. it was Marcus Ambros ( the Nascar driver sponsored by the Outdoor Chanel),that had a guy in his Nascar shop Tig weld up a setup in a John boat.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro, any idea what that weight would be for a 5 inch sluice box full of rocks and water. I would think it wouldnt eclipse 200 to 300 lbs. To address the outboard issue there would also be a well within the boat for the sluices discharge, that would also allow the sluice to be closer to the water line.

A 5" sluice loaded with rock and water is probably north of 600 pounds depending on size. Add the dredge motor, compressor hoses, Jet, flare, fuel, dive gear, prybars AND a 30 HP outboard and you have at least 1200-1500 pounds.
The boat you select bust maintain 50% bouyancy when fully loaded or it will flounder in swift water. Also a boat too small will sit very low in the water making it extremely difficult to move around

My actual plan was to find a 22' outfitter style open jet sled. A guy can find well used ones like this for cheap on the reservation after the Indians destroy them fishing. Mounting an outboard in the middle where the sluice goes is a problem. The sled has a 6' wide transom so I planned to cut a notch in the transom where the outboard went and exit the 6" sluice there, just above waterline. Motor pump, compressor and fuel would be just forward of amidships for balance. The flare would extend to the bow waterline where I would make a well to exit the hull and a cover plate to prevent spray from blowing int the boat while underway. The 6' wide transom is important because you need a lot of power to move this much boat and weight in a swift river. Next to the sluice, one on each side I wanted to install a pair of jetski engines. I alread have one jetski and am looking for a mate. They have 50-60 HP engines and performance pump which should move the boat well.

but...I have a lot of ideas and so little time...:BangHead:

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are some pics of my build as it stood last week. Since then I have finished it and tested it. I will have more later since it is needing tweaks.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435603626.443795.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435603761.184650.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435603782.944873.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435603805.207052.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435603823.914584.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435603845.465607.jpg

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great rig, you really gave the design some thought. I gave this idea some consideration years ago, but backed off due to flooding/sinking hazards caused by a hose or pump malfunction. I use instead, the discharge from the jet pump to supply a very large volume of water to a modest 4" suction jet. I'm in the process of changing out the Brut 50hp motor with a newer Bombadier-Rotax 55hp engine and matching jet pump.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dredging-hi-banking/259509-need-speed-high-volume-output.html?highlight=boat

Again, congrats for thinking outside of the box. Most others just get gratification by opening them.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great rig, you really gave the design some thought. I gave this idea some consideration years ago, but backed off due to flooding/sinking hazards caused by a hose or pump malfunction. I use instead, the discharge from the jet pump to supply a very large volume of water to a modest 4" suction jet. I'm in the process of changing out the Brut 50hp motor with a newer Bombadier-Rotax 55hp engine and matching jet pump.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dredging-hi-banking/259509-need-speed-high-volume-output.html?highlight=boat

Again, congrats for thinking outside of the box. Most others just get gratification by opening them.

Hell yeah....THAT's what I'm talkin about!
Nice build :hello2:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got with my buddy and was able to grab some pictures, I hope they help. This is one heck of a dredge

ratled

Last edited:

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here,s a Jet boat dredge

Aaahh yes the old Mk1..... Mk 2 was launched two weeks ago with refinements learned from Mk 1.

Still have another weeks work to go, before I am ready for the (down under) summer season...

No details or detailed images will be posted of Mk2 as I am getting inquiries asking if I would go into production with it... so there is a little intellectual property to protect.

However to wet your appetites ... an 8 inch dredge that does an easy 30kts designed to access difficult river gorges.... the design would work for anything from a 4 inch to a 10 inch dredge

Just imagine putting your wet suit on in a warm shower in the morning launching and boating to your claim, dredging the taking your wet suit off in the shower at the end of the day... that is what I do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread