New (to me) Claim Info

newman

Greenie
Jul 23, 2014
Yuba County, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This past week, I acquired (did not locate, but acquired through a quitclaim deed) a 20 acre placer claim in Plumas County, Calif. also situated in the Plumas National Forest.

In conducting my due diligence, I spoke with the county recorders office who said a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR) must be filed with the quitclaim deed, or else a $20 fee will be assessed. The gal said this form is passed on to the Assessor's office, whom I then spoke to. He stated this form is used to figure the annual property tax for the claim. I inquired about how this is figured; he stated he uses an average valuation based on sale price of other claims in the county and comes up with a number. (I told him if he could figure out the amount of valuable mineral in my claim, he's done half the work for me!)

My question to the group or those with experience in this county - if I don't file the PCOR and pay the $20 fee, am I then excluded from the property tax assessment? What have others done in similar situations?

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In some counties they don't bother sending out a property tax bill on a twenty acre claim. Make sure your not jumping over dollars (future trouble) to pick up dimes.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT saying-stand up as if a lousy $20 bill keeps you from going through with the deal are you really ready? Taxes are POSSESSERY rights and run mostly in the $20-40 a year per 20 or so,trinity ZERO as costs more to bill than actual tax-Not the 1 1/2% +++ as real property.John

OP
OP
newman

newman

Greenie
Jul 23, 2014
Yuba County, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input guys. I sent in the paperwork (with the PCOR) on Saturday with the check to file at the county. My guess is the next step is to take the recorded quitclaim deed to the BLM for filing, and $10 transfer fee?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread