desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in 29Palms, California, just about 20 miles or so from the Dale Mining District. Most of the miners were gone by the 50's/60's, but there is still prospecting done by the amateur.

If I can determine if it is safe for me to travel out there in my Honda CRV, I plan to look around after some five years away from the pastime.

I am curious about whether there is still gold in the quartz and surrounding rock of these old surface mines. I know to stay away from shafts and tunnel mines, but there are several that were just gouged out of the earth that are anywhere from a few feet deep to maybe a trench of 15 feet. I don't have any experience with hard rock mining, but watched "Ice Cold Gold" and they seemed to be able to get by with very basic tools like a chisel, sledge hammer, specimen bags and shovel, and elbow grease.

Has anyone ever tried their luck at mines like these, and did you find any gold from the processed rock. To me, finding even a little bit makes me happy. It is the activity, and hunt that excites me, not the amount. I know that unless I happen to get super lucky, I am not even going to pay for my gas and travel. And besides, I am getting fatter, and need the exercise. SMILES!!!

Oh, I did purchase a 10x10 inch square steel plate to pound out lead and other pliable metals some time ago. I imagine that this and the sledge hammer, with some kind of thick cloth over it could be used to smash the rock. I also saw a small manual rock crusher on EBay called a "Sore Thumb" I would imagine that you would still have to fracture your specimens into smaller pebble sized chunks before using this type of crusher.

I would also imagine that any gold that might have been loose in the area has washed downslope. The only problem would be if it has been prospected of late. Not sure how far away gold travels. I am guessing the larger stuff doesn't go too far, but the smaller stuff can travel for some distance.

Anyway, I would love some advice and your experiences in this area. Caley

Upvote 0

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like, a search on " Goldtramp " would be right up your alley, he prospects Dale mining area, i believe and posts on here when not in the field. Do the search might be amazed. johnnysau

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Johnnysau, Thanks, I tried bringing up the member list, and that name without success. It is nice to know that maybe there is someone I might hook up with to get out into the area, and maybe learn something. Caley

EDITED: I finally found that his handle is "Gold Tramp" It had a space in the name. I've written a message to him, though I am not sure if he will bother with someone who is both female and old and not in the greatest shape. I've got to start somewhere. Thanks Caley

Last edited:

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in 29Palms, California, just about 20 miles or so from the Dale Mining District. Most of the miners were gone by the 50's/60's, but there is still prospecting done by the amateur.

If I can determine if it is safe for me to travel out there in my Honda CRV, I plan to look around after some five years away from the pastime.

I am curious about whether there is still gold in the quartz and surrounding rock of these old surface mines. I know to stay away from shafts and tunnel mines, but there are several that were just gouged out of the earth that are anywhere from a few feet deep to maybe a trench of 15 feet. I don't have any experience with hard rock mining, but watched "Ice Cold Gold" and they seemed to be able to get by with very basic tools like a chisel, sledge hammer, specimen bags and shovel, and elbow grease.

Has anyone ever tried their luck at mines like these, and did you find any gold from the processed rock. To me, finding even a little bit makes me happy. It is the activity, and hunt that excites me, not the amount. I know that unless I happen to get super lucky, I am not even going to pay for my gas and travel. And besides, I am getting fatter, and need the exercise. SMILES!!!

Oh, I did purchase a 10x10 inch square steel plate to pound out lead and other pliable metals some time ago. I imagine that this and the sledge hammer, with some kind of thick cloth over it could be used to smash the rock. I also saw a small manual rock crusher on EBay called a "Sore Thumb" I would imagine that you would still have to fracture your specimens into smaller pebble sized chunks before using this type of crusher.

I would also imagine that any gold that might have been loose in the area has washed downslope. The only problem would be if it has been prospected of late. Not sure how far away gold travels. I am guessing the larger stuff doesn't go too far, but the smaller stuff can travel for some distance.

Anyway, I would love some advice and your experiences in this area. Caley

Be very careful in the CRV. Lots of loose sand to get stuck in and it's a long walk back to the highway.
You'll probably be more successful with a small hand cranked dry washer. I and my partners spent lots of time there for many years. Try researching the name "Dowie Critenden". He found pounds of gold with a small homemade dry washer working the hills sides and small washes even at the age of 80.

I found this magazine article (1976)about Dowie. You will have to download the pdf file
http://mydesertmagazine.com/files/197602-DesertMagazine-1976-February.pdf

The article about Dowie begins on page 28.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SnakeJim, I definitely know how far the highway is from behind Humbug Mountain. Gotten stuck there twice, and didn't want to get stuck a third time. That was one reason I quit trying to dry wash for gold, five years ago.

I am hoping that maybe someday I can get lucky, and find someone who is willing to let me tag along, and if there is room. It's a hope, but I am not holding my breath.

There are areas over near Barstow, I believe, that have very good dirt roads, that you can access areas to prospect. It's just a matter of finding a place that isn't a claim, and has gold. Caley

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A rock crusher can be DIRT cheap, and you don't need a sledge hammer.. Here is the one I "made", it was just crap I had kicking around... If you have less or different crap than me, hit the hardware
store, get a pipe and put a pipe cap on it, then find another pipe it will fit into... You already have a plate.... Instant low dollar rock crusher.. The longer the better, you can let gravity do the work easier
that way.. Rocks turn to dust pretty easy, I was actually surprised, I had no idea they were that easy to crush...

My super simple crusher... And a rock from 30 seconds of pounding, the plate is 6x6 for reference.

15776426265_9cf8c97620_b.jpg

15777980712_75f8d89d5e_c.jpg

One last thing, if you are going to get into crushing rocks... Get a good belt, I hadn't worn one since high school.. I wear one now...
Crushing rocks gets addictive, and I was picking them up everywhere and putting them in my pockets, and my pants kept falling down.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BobW53, Thanks for the tip. I just remembered that years ago I had purchased some 1 foot sections of round steel bar stock. Two are 1 inch diameter. If I can locate that steel plate, and get a short piece of steel pipe, I guess I can duplicate what you have. I haven't any way to weld the pipe to the plate though. Not sure that is necessary, but it sure would make things easier to work with. I may be able to get a friend to do the welding though, and put a "T" on the steel bar stock. Caley

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I had happen was that, depending on the rock, it would pack up in the bottom of the tube, if you weld that sucker on, you won't be able to get that
stuff out.. I eventually did mill a circle (because everybody has a machine shop) in the base plate to hold the tube a bit more steady, but it didn't make much of a difference.

Banging on some rocks, it comes out like loose sand... Some rocks turn right down to super fine powder and then want to pack back together like rock, the rock
they came from, being able to pick the tube up and knock it through has been quite handy. I honestly don't know how I would have gotten some of that stuff
out of there if the tube and plate were welded together. Probably stick a poker down there and stir it up or something...

You may not have the rocks I have.. So welding it might work best for you, but to get up and running, not necessary...

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bob, Your thoughts are sound about the packing of material in the bottom. I will try it with everything loose.

I have just one rock from a mine that a friend took me to. He said to pick up one, and keep it, as he thought it had gold in it. I'll see if I can take a picture of the rock. It has quartz with, based on my viewing of videos, mineralization around it, coloured anywhere from black to red. I've kept it all these years because I thought it was kind of neat looking. Caley

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As promised, here is a photo of the one piece of mine tailing I picked up. It certainly is a strange looking amalgamation of crystals and other things. On the opposite side it is covered with a layer of white, which I think is called caliche. Caley

Attachments

• Mine Tailking.jpg
    Mine Tailking.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 116

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, Your thoughts are sound about the packing of material in the bottom. I will try it with everything loose.

I have just one rock from a mine that a friend took me to. He said to pick up one, and keep it, as he thought it had gold in it. I'll see if I can take a picture of the rock. It has quartz with, based on my viewing of videos, mineralization around it, coloured anywhere from black to red. I've kept it all these years because I thought it was kind of neat looking. Caley

Are you SURE you want to crush that rock???? I'll warn you, its like Crack Cocaine.. Once you start, you can't stop.... I'm that crazy guy you see standing in the flower bed
staring at the ground and picking stuff up... Wandering a hotel parking lot like a crazy person picking up rocks... The back of my truck is full of rocks(the ones I'm really curious about
ride up front).. When we go on vacation, we have to bring a box or a bucket to hold all the rocks I may pickup at a rest area or a gas station.... My very understanding
and supportive better half plays along with the charade that all the piles of rocks in the front yard are for a rock garden...

And I have found gold in rocks that I picked up in a hotel parking lot...

If you are going to take that first hit of the mining worlds crack cocaine, I suggest getting yourself some of those little 60X currency microscopes. Dirt cheap on e-bay...
$6 or so from a domestic source, less than $3 if you want to wait for the slow boat from China... Get a few (I bought 15) all your friends will want them, and they
really aren't the highest quality... Nothing more exciting than seeing gold... I'd want to look at that rock really good before I crushed it all up... Though you're probably
going to have to beat it into smaller pieces anyways...

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bob, Not sure what all that was about, but I doubt I would just wander around the town picking up rocks. I have a 10X jewelers loupe that will do just fine. I used to use it when I picked out the really tiny bits of gold in my pan with some very sharp tweezers.

I'll wait until I can get back out to that site where that rock in the photo came from. If it is not on a claim, then I will pick a bucketful of them up. and do some dry washing below where the mine is to see if there is any loose placer gold. Just need to be able to get there, and my little CRV is not up to the slope of the road that leads into that area. May be some time before I get out there. Caley

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caley, I would add that you should consider a metal detector.. You don't need the high end minelab, but a good Fisher, White or Tesoro will do you just fine. G/L

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G/L, Those high end metal detectors are beyond my means at this time. I have my Bounty Hunter Time Ranger and two different coils, one being a small 4 inch coil for gold hunting. I doubt this detector is good enough for finding those gram sized pieces, but it might manage larger ones, if I am lucky. Everything I own is at least 10 years old, and I will have to work with what I have. My car is the same. Cannot afford a 4x4, even though I really would like to have one. Priorities are to pay all my bills off, including my mortgage, then save money to pay cash for a vehicle. After that I can think about luxury things like metal detectors. Caley

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G/L, Those high end metal detectors are beyond my means at this time. I have my Bounty Hunter Time Ranger and two different coils, one being a small 4 inch coil for gold hunting. I doubt this detector is good enough for finding those gram sized pieces, but it might manage larger ones, if I am lucky. Everything I own is at least 10 years old, and I will have to work with what I have. My car is the same. Cannot afford a 4x4, even though I really would like to have one. Priorities are to pay all my bills off, including my mortgage, then save money to pay cash for a vehicle. After that I can think about luxury things like metal detectors. Caley
I can certainly appreciate that Caley. Being an adult and having financial priorities ain't all its cracked up to be ! Rod

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Love this. I've always said a true patriot is NOT building a pile of debt...same as our country should avoid being ruled by the bankers, U.S. Individuals should do the same!

Debt free since December 2005 after a 20 year effort!...and planning to stay that way :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, Big congrats on your wonderful accomplishment. I agree, Americans need to be self sufficient, and not rely on credit companies and banks, except for the big ticket items that they cannot pay at once: Home, car. Just wish I would have a stretch where things didn't suck me dry, plus some. But enough on the off topic stuff.

I am hoping that maybe I can get out once a month to do some kind of looking around, and maybe get lucky finding a little shiny stuff.

Oh, I just pulled out what I had found over five years, and it was a paltry 3.3 grams. I probably gave that much away to friends, so I basically have gotten in my mining career, maybe 6 grams. Wish I could find that in one day. That would be so exciting. Caley

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that I believe a $1500 MD is $800 more improved in abilities to detect and discriminate than a $700 MD. I just do not see it.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really am just relearning detectors. When I metal detected back in the early 70's, I believe there were just two knobs, of which I haven't a clue what they were named. I do know I found an coin from the Venice City State, and quite a few American and Italian coins while in Italy. I also detected at Barksdale AFB, and found a gold ring, gold plated money clip, and lots of pennies and silver coins in the middle 70's, all with the same detector.

I now have that Bounty Hunter Time Machine with all kinds of bells and whistles. Those I am trying to learn what they do. Apparently this detector can tell you the depth of the object, and what the material is. My testing shows it doesn't have a clue as to what the material is, or its depth, but it does find metal. I think I spent a few hundred dollars for this detector, 10 years ago, and it has mostly sat in the case for that time. There isn't much out here in the desert as far as I can tell, when it comes to relics. I did find one name plate that I believe was attached to a miners hammer wooden handle, and I found lots of bullets, but nothing else but modern trash and junk. And I really never paid attention to those bells and whistles. I just listened with my headset for a change in tone, and then dug, basically the same way I used that old White's metal detector I had back in the 70's.

Anyway, that is really off topic from the subject of the thread. Maybe I can try detecting around old mine sites, though I imagine that most have been picked clean by the expert metal detectors. My only bet is to hope I find something quite a ways from the mine site that has been driven there by flowing water, and it will have to probably be pea sized in order for my detector to sound off. Caley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread