Google Earth Pro

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yessir. I'm currently using it on my computer as we speak! Just opened it up to double check XD

Psstt...
Here:

Google Earth

:sunny:

OH yes... Instructions might be nice huh? If you don't see it off to the right? Just use your email and the key : GEPFREE to sign in

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the difference between Google Earth and Google maps?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The added tools in the Pro version can be helpful.

The maps are the same for Google Maps, Google Earth and Google Pro so the content is the same. The most accurate, by far, is Google Maps. Google Earth in both versions is pretty unreliable for any sort of repeatable accuracy.

Here's Google's explanation of the accuracy of their Google mapping:

Google makes no claims as to the accuracy of the coordinates in Google Earth. These are provided for entertainment only and should not be used for any navigational or other purpose requiring any accuracy whatsoever.

Our imagery varies from sub-meter resolution in major cities to 15 meter resolution (90 foot accuracy) for most of the earth's surface, with a global base resolution of 1KM (6,562 foot or 1 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]4[/SUB] mile accuracy). Since our database is constantly being updated, we cannot state a specific resolution for any geographic region.

Google acquires imagery from many different sources with many different file formats, projections and spectral characteristics. All imagery sources are fused into a single global database with a proprietary format that has been developed for the specific purpose of streaming to our client software.

Essentially their mapping system is junk as far as accuracy goes but being the only platform that makes a stab at 3D for the user it's pretty cool. There is a lot of information available from getting a 3D view of even an inaccurate map.

In our professional cartography business we make 3D maps with with inch resolutions and accuracy. These take huge amounts of time to process each frame (on the order of days) and the resulting map or movie is measured in terabytes. Fun stuff but it's going to be a long time before real time accurate 3D mapping will be available to the general public on the internet. In the meantime Google Earth is the best internet 3D mapping program out there. And the price is right. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The added tools in the Pro version can be helpful.

The maps are the same for Google Maps, Google Earth and Google Pro so the content is the same. The most accurate, by far, is Google Maps. Google Earth in both versions is pretty unreliable for any sort of repeatable accuracy.

Here's Google's explanation of the accuracy of their Google mapping:

Essentially their mapping system is junk as far as accuracy goes but being the only platform that makes a stab at 3D for the user it's pretty cool. There is a lot of information available from getting a 3D view of even an inaccurate map.

In our professional cartography business we make 3D maps with with inch resolutions and accuracy. These take huge amounts of time to process each frame (on the order of days) and the resulting map or movie is measured in terabytes. Fun stuff but it's going to be a long time before real time accurate 3D mapping will be available to the general public on the internet. In the meantime Google Earth is the best internet 3D mapping program out there. And the price is right. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Just out of curiosity what do you use for Render nodes? My brother works in 3D animation. His customers send him blueprints of buildings and he creates them in Maya, 3D studio max, and a few other programs, to create a virtual look of the building. Then his customers have meetings to decide if they like the layout of the blue prints based on what my brothers animation looks like. Cool stuff.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No farms here Duckwalk, we are small time! :laughing7:

Rendering is done by an older BTO Mac Pro with 8 processors and fast bus/memory. Lots of high speed drives in Firewire 800 chain. Very low budget. Most of the number crunching is done with modified Open Sores software. Macs are good with numbers! :thumbsup:

I might like to see your brother's farm. Speed is always impressive to us old guys. I've been doing this stuff for a while - since before hard drives. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work in IT refurb and I get a lot of free stuff. If you like I can see what kinda stuff I can get that you may need. I got my brothers stuff for super cheap and some for free. He is running 5 servers all with 32core per server running 3.6ghz per core. Each server is running between 64 and 80gb of ram. I'll get a pic of it soon.

Edit: Picture added

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433547790.039462.jpg

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
its only a free trial. then you have to buy it... too good to be true..

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work in IT refurb and I get a lot of free stuff. If you like I can see what kinda stuff I can get that you may need. I got my brothers stuff for super cheap and some for free. He is running 5 servers all with 32core per server running 3.6ghz per core. Each server is running between 64 and 80gb of ram. I'll get a pic of it soon.

View attachment 1171175

Sweet setup! I hope he's got good air conditioning. :laughing7:

I'm OK on the computer gear but Land Matters is hurting. I let them use my machine but if I have a job (gotta feed the goats, get new socks etc.) Land Matters has to wait to do their processing. Sometimes for days. If you think you have something Land Matters can use Contact Leigh and see what you can work out. You will be loved:thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night and day

I downloaded the Pro program and it consistently crashes. I use google earth A LOT for contacting miners, and I don't think there is a big difference. Last year I bought the pro one for the $400 and it allowed me to gain access to the APN database in each county. This year, they farmed that portion out and Corelogic covers that at the tune of $150/month for 150 searches. Ouch. I will stick with the regular google earth- much easier and I don't see any major difference, other than it just showing the private property, without the land owner.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay will do, I'll shoot an email Monday. Also, he has a custom AC unit just for that one room! Lots of money but worth it.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1171175

That picture of your brother's server room, reminds me of a visit I made to a friend who works as a Database manager in a corporation. You can call it a Data Center if you like, CCTV systems , water proof floor and anti-fire walls , De-humdizers AND the one thing that made me happy , :laughing9:, Heavy Chillers , I just stayed for a few minutes inside the room and felt as if I am in Alaska in Winter or I am at the top point of North Pole :laughing7: :headbang: They run like 20 servers with CISCO networking peripherals . Imagine living in a city that is considered part of the desert and you would see the picture :hello2:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread