poison oak and mosquitoes

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poison oak and mosquitoes go hand in hand with prospecting and I often wonder how the old times dealt with this as im sure they had to and without chemicals and ointments we have today. While on the claim last week I could only stay for about two hours as the mosquitos we thicker than ive ever witnessed in my lifetime, I didn't have on any bug spray and the next day I was covered in bites so bad it looked like I had chicken poxes! Ill be sure to bring the bug spray next time, also was going to look into one of them pager like clip on things that's supposta keep them away..

I got poison oak really bad one year, it was early January and I was trail blazing through an area that looked like just sticks but it was poison oak without any leaves and I ended up having to go to the hospital and getting all kinds of shots to help my body fight it off, one of my arms developed an infection it was so bad..

My dad and I who I prospect with quit a bit ponder how the old times dealt with this, especially the PO. He seems to think that the more you come in contact with it you develop an immunity to it but in not sure if I believe this or if its an old wise tale.

Anyone have any ideas on this or info passed down on how it was dealt with back in the days, Seems like some of the best ground is usually covered in PO..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man. Skeeters and poison oak suck soooo bad. I had poison oak several times as a kid. Got it on my junk...that's a nightmare let me tell you. Then got it on my shins really bad. Whole leg from the knee to the ankle turned purple then black. Got some steroid injection that had basically no effect. Weird thing is since then I haven't got it. Although I went a long time without going near it. Now that I've been prospecting I'm seeing it everywhere but haven't got it...go figure

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosquitos are absolutely no problem for almost 8 years now as Organic Repel, a mix of eucalyptus oil and lemon oil keeps them at bay for 8+ hours. NO DEET as nothing kills your liver faster and great for causing cancer also. Consumers Reports has a great article(read one 8 years ago/used ever since) on this subject complete with who,what and how experiments were performed to prove what works and what does NOT. Poison oak is ez too...stay the LL away and technu works mighty fine too for errors-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosquitos are absolutely no problem for almost 8 years now as Organic Repel, a mix of eucalyptus oil and lemon oil keeps them at bay for 8+ hours. NO DEET as nothing kills your liver faster and great for causing cancer also. Consumers Reports has a great article(read one 8 years ago/used ever since) on this subject complete with who,what and how experiments were performed to prove what works and what does NOT. Poison oak is ez too...stay the LL away and technu works mighty fine too for errors-John
stat the hell away....hard to do when the whole country is covered with it here....and with three of our mini- winter/spring cycles this year....not only is it every where those "leaves of three" are the size of dinner plates!!
Yes, avoid rolling in it but,in a lot mining areas around here you can't simply stay way from it.

And yes deet is not the kind of stuff you want to rub into your skin on a regular basis..never use it anymore... Like I said in Alaska we soaked cardboard and hung it on our packs....either way you can b pretty damn exposed to the stuff without ill affect...so many horror stories sheesh!!!!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Like this one John?

REPEL Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent Spray, 4 oz. - Eastern Mountain Sports

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that picture is of pure misery

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine is still popping up but I have contracted the itch when Kevin was here last Thursday. No doubt a rash soon...

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
yes the oils work, sunscreen and bug repelant are cancer in a can. if i got po that bad id be much more careful what plants i touched. is ivy and sumac similer or worse?

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
if anyone in redding want to know the feeling of the oak all over, just go metal detect swaysey recreation area. come home with more than you bargained for.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine is still popping up but I have contracted the itch when Kevin was here last Thursday. No doubt a rash soon...

So sorry to hear that Ducky. No itch on me this time, got lucky!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the other morning out detecting that EVERYWHERE has plenty of poison oak in this county. No water but plenty of that ungodly oak. Those pics posted are what Blackbone used to get head to toe. Never forget when he got the brainstorm to BURN the poison oak, breathed it in, and in the hospital for a week+ as in his blood and everywhere on his body :censored: John

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
if you get the bar soap, it works after the rash has poped up. do not use the gritty side, but lather up your area really well and let it dry. wash it off and do it again every few hours.more times the better. it dries out the area so it stops spreading. i can get rid of it in three days doing this. hope this helps

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wash spot real good and get the oil off it will not spread. I use the bar soap it does a good job. I am also a fan of a blow dryer it takes the itch out for 8 hrs

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Been at it for many moons diagnosed systemic ,Naphtha bar at the sink everyday use .At the first sighn I wash area with gasoline then restore lightly with lotion repeat as necessary harsh but works.

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been at it for many moons diagnosed systemic ,Naphtha bar at the sink everyday use .At the first sighn I wash area with gasoline then restore lightly with lotion repeat as necessary harsh but works.

Do you light the gasoline?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can smash it in my hands and rub it all over, never get it! I freak alot of people out doing that!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out as that immunity wanes with age. You still put it on your equipment, truck, dogs and spread it to anything and everywhere NASTY stuff-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread