Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm, none of that sounds to me.

"This bill amends the National Materials and Minerals Policy, Research and Development Act of 1980 to direct the President to: (1) establish an analytical and forecasting capability for identifying critical mineral market factors so as to avoid supply shortages, mitigate price volatility, and prepare for demand growth and other market shifts; and (2) encourage federal agencies to facilitate development and production of domestic resources to meet national critical material and minerals needs."

I can just picture the daily gold forecast coming through... yes, yes... " And now in California a slight change of flakes with a few nuggets hear and there..."
Critical market factors? What, like only the non-profit environmental groups will be the only legal miners if things don't swing out way? Of course, they could predict that one easily since it's a part of their back room deals.

"Prescribes a Federal Register notice process for the issuance of a critical mineral exploration or mine permit."

I can think of no other reason for this, as we already have permitting programs in place as well as claim holders, other than to have a file on every person that goes prospecting. Of course gold and most everything else will be a "critical mineral". Geez, "mineral exploration"? Well, you might find gold, so lets sign you up for that permit just in case... so if we get our way we can make it illegal to own again.

Has this thing passed? I sure hope not. Granted, I don't know what The National Critical Materials Act of 1984 contains, nor am I well versed with law. To my lay-woman's ears this doesn't sit well though. Guess we can always look for tellurium? I'm actually hoping I'm overacting to this and get verbally thrashed/corrected. :dontknow:

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comment letter from; American Exploration & Mining Association (AEMA)

The Honorable Lisa Murkowski
Chairwoman, Senate Committee on Energy & Natural Resources
314 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Re: S. 883, the American Minerals Security Act of 2015

Dear Chairwoman Murkowski,
We are writing to express our support for your efforts to improve the U.S. mine permitting process and
advance and encourage the domestic production of critical and strategic minerals with S. 883,
the American Mineral Security Act of 2015. We must revitalize our domestic critical minerals supply chain
and reduce mineral import reliance. An abundant and affordable supply of domestic minerals is critical to America’s future.
The U.S. has become increasingly dependent on foreign sources of strategic and critical minerals and
this vulnerability has serious national defense and economic consequences.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the U.S. is more than 50% import reliant for
43 critical minerals (the U.S. is roughly 40% import reliant on crude oil) and 100% import reliant for 19
critical and strategic minerals despite having the third largest source of mineral wealth in the world.
We are entering a period of resource nationalism where certain countries, such as China,
are managing the production of certain minerals in a predatory, anticompetitive manner.
Unlike the Arab oil embargo of the early 70’s, countries like China are using resource
nationalism not to control the market or the market price for a given commodity,
but to attract long term manufacturing jobs. China currently controls 97% of global rare earth production
and is cutting back on rare earth exports in favor of internal consumption.
Critical and strategic minerals extend far beyond rare earth minerals, but resource nationalism
is most evident and transparent with China regarding rare earths.
Instead of settling for Chinese imports and losing manufacturing jobs, the U.S. should
expedite the development of our own supplies of rare earths and other critical and strategic minerals.
These minerals are the beginning of the manufacturing, national defense and renewable energy supply chains
and essential to job creation. We especially support Sec. 104 directed at improving the performance
of the federal mine permitting process without compromising the stringent federal and state environmental laws
applicable to hardrock mining. As you know, the United States ranks last among the 25 largest
mineral producing countries in the time it takes to permit a new mine.
According to international mine consulting firm Behre Dolbear, the average permitting time in the U.S. is 7-10 years. Time
is money and unnecessary delays and duplication in the permitting process strands capital and
discourages long term investments in producing domestic minerals. Compare the exceedingly
long permitting time with Canada and Australia where the average permitting time is between 2
and 3 years and incorporating essential the same environmental and engineering standards. If
Canada and Australia can permit mines to the same environmental standards in 2 to 3 years, then
so can the United States.
We also strongly support Sec. 106 addressing the broken Federal Register Notice process. Prior
to 2000, these routine notices were processed and published in 30 to 45 days. Your legislation
will restore common sense and timeliness to this process. We view S. 883 as well thought out
legislation that will encourage and facilitate the domestic production of strategic and critical
minerals without lessening the robust environmental standards of the United States.
Thank you for introducing this important legislation and we look forward to working with you in
the future on this and many other issues.

American Exploration & Mining Association (AEMA)

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is more convolution really the solution, give a president even more godlike powers over mineral production??? Just saying .....John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed that they made no mention of how the "Greenies" have slowed down the permitting process in the U.S. with lawsuit after lawsuit. Of course there is no reason to restate the obvious things.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread