How do I separate the gold from the stones?

fooled

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. This is my first time looking and i hope this is gold. i want to extract it to have it checked. how do i separate the gold from rest of the stones? They're mostly flakes. Is there a certain method? What about gold dust? What is the method to get that separated? I'm researching and reading but i must be missing something? I see some people use a needle nose pliers to pick out gold. is there an easier method? thank you! IMAG0279.jpg IMAG0284.jpg IMAG0287.jpg

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You must first learn how to pan and how gold acts in a pan. Here is a link for a good way to start. How to Pan for Gold

If what you think is gold are the shiny pieces laying on top of other material in the pan then they are likely not. Gold will settle to the bottom of the pan when wet panned and at least be covered up when shaken with other material in a dry state. When you pan properly the gold will mostly group together and all but the smallest pieces can be easily separated from all other material.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fooled

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you! i used a bucket and a strainer. the shiny pieces definitely stayed put when i was dumping out water to strain out debris/dirt. i still need to order a pan and learn the proper way to do it.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A pan is your best friend from start to finish.

OP
OP
F

fooled

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you! i just bought a set on amazon. cannot wait to try it.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
If minelab made pans they would sell for $45,000 each.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, gold is HEAVY!!!! In case you didn't catch that

Gold is HEAVY

More technically, it is DENSE, heavy compared to other stuff for its size.. Gold is somewhere around 6 times more DENSE(heavy for size) than that brown
stuff in your container...

Gold is HEAVY!!!!

Fill the container with water.. tilt at a slight angle, and shake side to side, fairly vigourously.. If that shiny stuff all ends up down in the bottom corner, its gold.
If it doesn't its not... You don't need a proper pan to pan, it just makes it a little easier... Just like you don't need a pan to cook noodles, you can do it in a beer
can if you have to.

Gold is HEAVY!!!!

I'm voting for not... That second pic. Shiny stuff at the top, but not a hint of it near the bottom.

Gold is HEAVY!!!

Just an example, because I have one sitting here... A Gatorade bottle, 32oz, 2 pounds when full of gatorade, 6 pounds when full of regular dirt... 38 pounds if full of gold...

A gallon jug, six pounds with gasoline... 8 with water or milk, 24 pounds full of dirt. 152 pounds full of gold... (ball park figures).

Gold is Heavy..... With a little water and agitation, it will ALWAYS end up at the bottom, and it gets there really fricken fast once you fluidize/"jiggle or shake" the material. And
yes I have panned in a disposable tupper ware container, just like you have... Gold is HEAVY!!!!, It could be a fry pan, a double boiler or a proper gold pan, gold will always
act the same, it goes right to the bottom.

I suggest you go get some real gold, you can get a 1/10th of a gram on e-bay for about $7, paydirt is fun too, but you aren't going to get a 1/10th of gram for $7... Then you
will KNOW how gold behaves, and what gold looks like... Once you see it, you'll know it, you'll always know it... It has a very distinct look, it never shines, it looks the same
in sun or shade, it looks the same from all angles... It never twinkles.. And it behaves in a pan or even a tupper ware container in a certain way...

For a short bit there, when I was green, I thought I was rich too, but I couldn't keep the pyrite in the pan... That's another thing... if you have to pan super careful to keep
the shiny stuff in the pan... Let it go... Its not gold... The gold is snuggled down below all the other stuff, waiting for you... Because....... Gold is HEAVY!!!!!! You can
be an absolute spaz with the pan, not a clue what you are doing, and as long as you don't tip it upside down, you will get 90+ percent of the gold that entered your pan. 20 minutes
of youtube vids and you'll probably get 98%, so if you have to be careful to not wash the "gold" out, its not gold... Let it go. (I had a hard time with that).

I hope there is gold in your dirt, but I'll bet a deflated football that what you are seeing is not gold. I don't think you've seen the gold yet, and it very well could be there.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing the video .. mighty interesting for sure:thumbsup:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ED in that case its more about the gold being able to not break surface tension.
I have had pickers float on me before.

A tiny drop of Jet dry or regular Dawn dish soap will keep that from happening. :)

OP
OP
F

fooled

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very insightful, thank you. I will refer to this when I pan it.

I used a strainer and a bucket to wash dirt off, and dumped the stones and flakes in a container. Didn't particularly shook the bucket because I didn't know what I was doing. I'll try these tricks tonight.

It's all red clay dirt. We bought our house brand new and I noticed back of the property looked like a river ran through it hundreds or thousands years ago. a lot of flat top and smooth rocks and quartz. When I built our chicken co-op, that was all I found but also little flakes and it got me wondering. I eventually forgot about it until the other day when I was landscaping saw tons of flakes on the one side of our property where a river could have been but nothing on the other side of our property

First off, gold is
HEAVY!!!! In case you didn't catch that

Gold is HEAVY

More technically, it is DENSE, heavy compared to other stuff for its size.. Gold is somewhere around 6 times more DENSE(heavy for size) than that brown
stuff in your container...

Gold is HEAVY!!!!

Fill the container with water.. tilt at a slight angle, and shake side to side, fairly vigourously.. If that shiny stuff all ends up down in the bottom corner, its gold.
If it doesn't its not... You don't need a proper pan to pan, it just makes it a little easier... Just like you don't need a pan to cook noodles, you can do it in a beer
can if you have to.

Gold is HEAVY!!!!

I'm voting for not... That second pic. Shiny stuff at the top, but not a hint of it near the bottom.

Gold is HEAVY!!!

Just an example, because I have one sitting here... A Gatorade bottle, 32oz, 2 pounds when full of gatorade, 6 pounds when full of regular dirt... 38 pounds if full of gold...

A gallon jug, six pounds with gasoline... 8 with water or milk, 24 pounds full of dirt. 152 pounds full of gold... (ball park figures).

Gold is Heavy..... With a little water and agitation, it will ALWAYS end up at the bottom, and it gets there really fricken fast once you fluidize/"jiggle or shake" the material. And
yes I have panned in a disposable tupper ware container, just like you have... Gold is HEAVY!!!!, It could be a fry pan, a double boiler or a proper gold pan, gold will always
act the same, it goes right to the bottom.

I suggest you go get some real gold, you can get a 1/10th of a gram on e-bay for about $7, paydirt is fun too, but you aren't going to get a 1/10th of gram for $7... Then you
will KNOW how gold behaves, and what gold looks like... Once you see it, you'll know it, you'll always know it... It has a very distinct look, it never shines, it looks the same
in sun or shade, it looks the same from all angles... It never twinkles.. And it behaves in a pan or even a tupper ware container in a certain way...

For a short bit there, when I was green, I thought I was rich too, but I couldn't keep the pyrite in the pan... That's another thing... if you have to pan super careful to keep
the shiny stuff in the pan... Let it go... Its not gold... The gold is snuggled down below all the other stuff, waiting for you... Because....... Gold is HEAVY!!!!!! You can
be an absolute spaz with the pan, not a clue what you are doing, and as long as you don't tip it upside down, you will get 90+ percent of the gold that entered your pan. 20 minutes
of youtube vids and you'll probably get 98%, so if you have to be careful to not wash the "gold" out, its not gold... Let it go. (I had a hard time with that).

I hope there is gold in your dirt, but I'll bet a deflated football that what you are seeing is not gold. I don't think you've seen the gold yet, and it very well could be there.

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ED in that case its more about the gold being able to not break surface tension.
I have had pickers float on me before.

A tiny drop of Jet dry or regular Dawn dish soap will keep that from happening. :)

You should see the gold around here. just about all of it floats until you pop your finger on top of it. Ask kevin, he saw it first hand!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread