Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have used that regulator. the mouthpiece is hard rubber and makes your jaw ache after a few hours of good teeth clenching dredging.
So many other things will be causing you pain after a couple hours or dredging that you will not notice the reg....and you can upgrade the mouthpiece to a silicone unit for a few bux

OP
OP
R

rvhauler401

May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will that regulator fit in a full face mask?
and,Thank you for the reply.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
will that regulator fit in a full face mask?
and,Thank you for the reply.

Yep, just about any regulator will fit directly into a cressi. Use a zip tie to secure it and give the old mouthpiece a viking funeral.

OP
OP
R

rvhauler401

May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think of the actual unit? decent enough for some fairly shallow dredging? ( i don't plan to be any deeper than i can kick off of the bottom and be on the surface quickly :) )

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think this is your pump...
DC 12V 68L MIN Diaphragm Air Pump Fish Pond Aquarium Tank Hydroponics MPQ 903 | eBay

It will produce 68 litres/min @ .068 mpa which is equal to 2.4 CFM @ 9.86 PSI

In comparison, a Thomas T-80 will build 1.8 CFM at 45 PSI

Your pump is designed for large aquariums and such. It has greater airflow than a Thomas but is VERY weak on pressure. Most hooka regs need at least 25 PSI to operate reasonably well.

Will it work? probably or they couldn't sell it as such. However, it will require a LOT of breathing effort which leaves you tired and out of breath. This is not good when you are working underwater. If you were casually sniping it may be fine. Then you have to add battery power which fades. I would not use this in water deeper than my height.

OP
OP
R

rvhauler401

May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're right! That IS the pump!! i went so far as to find the hookah kit seller, on this pump sellers feedback! LOL they're $69.95, or $179.99 @ hookah seller LMAO!!
Thank you VERY much Bonaro!! Your input has been invaluable! The knowledge available from this sites people is amazing! A true "GEM" for the prospecting / MD'ing community.
Thanks again!
Randy

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not a problem. 8-)
Many of us have "been there and done that". Sharing what we learned the hard way prevents others from reinventing the wheel....which some say is bad.:icon_scratch:

Getting gold gear on a budget sometimes yields odd results. I once made a diving compressor out of a 1950 vintage craftsman airless paint compressor. The leather diaphram gave up and parts were non-existant. I made a new diaphram by laminating about 6 layers of ripstop nylon harvested from a pair of running pants, with water based contact cement. It tasted funny but it worked

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a new diaphram by laminating about 6 layers of ripstop nylon harvested from a pair of running pants, with water based contact cement. It tasted funny but it worked

I thought you said you burned that hole into the back of your pants Dan :evil6: No wonder it tasted like buger king :evil6:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought you said you burned that hole into the back of your pants Dan :evil6: No wonder it tasted like buger king :evil6:

Uhh...Reed? This begs a question...

How did you know that the back of his pants tastes like Burger King?
moose.gif~original

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
R

rvhauler401

May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bonaro, sorry to bother you guys again, update, finally got an email from "hookah seller, he tells me the cfm is 6, and psi is 18, close enough? still uncomfortable?

Thanks,
Randy

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont want to sound overly skeptical but 6 CFM seems like an exaggeration especially when the Thomas gives only 1.8. 6CFM is a lot of air
Didnt you sat this seller showed up as a buyer in the ebay ad I posted for the pump? That ad states a very different spec for this pump
What I do know is that anybody can measure PSI but its harder to measure CFM therefore harder to confirm the stated specs of this pump

Lets just assume that his pump will do what he says it will... 6 CFM is outstanding and 18 PSI is usable but only at shallow depths and light exertion
The only real way you can find out is to try it

I just looked at the sellers feedback and I think Diver_us is getting them somewhere else, here is the feedback

"The company advised that the pump was not suitable for us and refunded the moneyd***u ( 14
iconYellowStar_25x25.gif
)"

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inquiring minds wanna know.....
moose.gif~original
moose.gif~original
moose.gif~original

Cause he said it did :evil6:

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
I made a new diaphram by laminating about 6 layers of ripstop nylon harvested from a pair of running pants, with water based contact cement.
It tasted funny but it worked

OP
OP
R

rvhauler401

May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see that one. did see on pump sellers store they have similar looking pumps w/ higher stated specs of 160 lm @ 0.12 MPa, Unsure of cfm's but figured the MPa to around 17 psi? several other sellers have similar pumps as well, i think you still have the origin of diving-us pumps "nailed" but thinking he moved up a few models?
I'm also worried that with the higher out put their claiming, the 10amp/hr is going to go up, most dc units state 1-2 hrs per charge on battery, diving-us state theirs can go all day @ 10 amp / hr power draw. I think you're right, @ $369, I'm just going to have to try it. I will be putting an inline filter in it as well though, hoping that doesn't affect output. I will move up to a more "proven" unit if/when i decide to go deeper than 10ft. or so. And my budget allows. LOL
Thanks again!
Randy

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed, you are like that hyperactive kid in history class. No matter how hard you try to ignore his comments, you just cant.:laughing7:

It tasted funny because of the cement, not because of burrito night...Damn, I really didn't want to go there...lol :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions