will my idea for a sluice work?

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm currently in Montana, but I am only here for another two weeks. I don't have the money to buy a sluice, or to buy the parts to make one. I was thinking of using an old grill. I was going to turn the grates upside down, so they sit like this \_/ \_/ \_/ I am planning on putting it into a high current area on gravel and using the finer sand that has accumulated during the spring thaw flooding, would this work to catch gold, or would they just clog with sand?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the type of current that moves gold...those are gonna just wash away.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the type of current that moves gold...those are gonna just wash away.

Or get buried as you guessed. Or both.

Instead, get some scrap wood from a dumpster at a job site and glue some rubberized v mat from the hardware store into a simple wooden sluice. Then shovel lots and catch gold! Total cost- well under $20.

OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I figured they were too shallow and too close to work. I'll start working on getting some scrap lumber together and making a wooden one.

OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sluice.jpg
I cut the riffles with a 45 bevel, I am going to add 4 more, leaving 10 inches at the top to place the sand, the total length is 46 inches long, 6.75 inches on the inside, I was wondering if I should put a small piece of plywood at the exit, about 20 inches long with a piece of old astroturf style carpeting out of an old boat instead of the rubberized V mat. Which do you think would work better? Since I live in Indiana, I don't have a lot of experience, so, THANK YOU for any help.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The v mat is good for seeing but the astroturf always works at catching gold. They are 2 different mats. the v mat lets the gold migrate into the carpet. A little of both with the v mat up front to see the gold is a choice but not needed.

OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, getting ready to head to the river and try,

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you do anything to create a smooth surface on the bottom of the sluice? I fear you'll end up with gold in the cracks and little holes in the wood bottom of the sluice. Putty and paint would work for example.

Edit: never mind, I stand corrected by a true master of our craft, see below...

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always burn the wood and pan the ashes ;)

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Post the results! Love to see what you caught with it. Best thing to remember when sluice is "Gold is heavy as hell" at least compared to everything else in the creek. Give a place for it to settle and it will do just that. Most of the time (when it comes to prospecting) simple is better, something i learned the hard way.

OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far I haven't had any luck, the river hasn't had good enough flow, I have even tried making a V in the river to add volume, it just clogs up with sand. I am using the grill grate as a classifier on the top of the sluice. I have tried panning more spots to see what I could find, all I am getting is black sand and garnets, it just looks like red sand mixed in with the black sand. I have been up and down a 20 mile stretch of river and no gold.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't find anything panning, either there is no gold, or your panning technique needs work, or you are looking in the wrong spot on the rivers.

Also,a drop riffle such as the ones shown should catch the small stuff ,such as what gold is usually found in Indiana, better than a wooden hungarian riffle. Easier to properly set a drop riffle sluice too, in my opinion. A table saw is not nesescary to cut the dados for a drop, you can use a circular saw (Skill saw) with the shoe held against a square and make multipe passes. V-shaped ridges can be cut with a circular saw too, just tilt the shoe of the saw.

If you are bored , or bat **** ******* insane like me, you could do it old-shool with a set of chisels, a utility knife, and a hand saw. : )

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_20150712_143143.jpg

My stay here in Montana has been extended a week so I have a few more days to try. I got a hold of a piece of metal roofing that was destined for the scrapyard, riffles are 1 1/2" high and 3" apart and it is 10" wide. Total length without the flare is 40", with the flare is 54". I know the caulking will wear away, but I'm hoping it will last the week. When I get home I am going to put more time into making a good one for when I come back in a few months. I looked on the gpaa site and it wasn't showing any gold in Indiana, if anyone knows any differently email me some info, you don't have to give away your secrets. :) [email protected]

OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I have a table saw, chisels, hand saws, Japanese draw saws, band saw, planes..........I think I could make another one, but I would varnish it so it doesn't get so heavy, LOL

OP
OP
J

jlchasteen

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a lot better water flow through the metal sluice and it moved some dirt. I ran 2 three gallon buckets of small gravel through it. What would be the best way to run the concentrate with no prior experience?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a lot better water flow through the metal sluice and it moved some dirt. I ran 2 three gallon buckets of small gravel through it. What would be the best way to run the concentrate with no prior experience?

In a panning tub little by little. That's how you get experience :)

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Panning should be your most honed in skill in my opinion. anyone can shovel and classify but if you cant pan it out at the end of it then the whole thing is pointless. Panning practice is essential to gold recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread