WASHINGTON: EVERETT, EDMONDS, GOLD BAR, CLE ELUM, LIBERTY, I AM OPEN!

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not much of a prospector, and not a lot of time to learn,

I grew up in Richland (tri-cities), attended Everett Jr. College and UW, went on to Calif. and finally graduated and happily became grist for the corporate mill (GE). That's over and retired in FL. FL is not a happy place to endure gold fever.

I have acquired the delightful habit of coming out West for 3 months each summer and fall. Got the fever a few years back while passing through Oregon and CA. Then got hit hard on Lynx Creek in Prescott AZ. But I spend most of my time in Edmonds, WA desperately panning the Ski and its tributaries having the time of my life finding a few beautiful flakes. Heck, my wife and I even spend delightful time in Ellensburg looking for blue agates...looking mostly, but have found a few unremarkable samples. Usually fish the Yakima each year also.

Now comes the pitch. I am also new to TNet but have done my homework. I know reading Mshanygin, ET1955, 425jesse and Echoplex, that there are some darned good prospectors (I have seen the photographs!) near Edmonds. I have not contacted them directly as I am not sure that is good manners. We will be arriving around the 15th of July and stay at the Edmonds Harbor Inn for a month or so. Better half grew up there.

Got a 4WD pickup, more gear than I can carry and awaiting delivery of a 36 in. Sniper as inspired by this list. At 77 I can't go as fast or as steep as I would like, but can shovel like crazy even into your sluice. My main interest is geology and learning from good company. Finding something is more important to me that keeping it. I have even been known to cover all expenses and buy a few good meals. I prefer Martinis, but that is up to you.

I have a drywasher in the works, but may not have time to finish it for this trip (no use in WA anyway, but later in AZ). I sure do love Arizona too. PM me if even slightly interested. I never leave a buddy in the field, or tell where I have been, ever. Ask my fishing friends.

Best regards to all posters, as most of what I know came from here.

Thurman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry,

My above post had an arrival in Edmonds as July, should read AUGUST.

Thanks, Thurman

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Thurman, PM me when you get into town, you want to talk geology and mine, that's sounds like a lot of fun, got a great spot to take you, not to hard to get to on the Sky. ED

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Thurman, PM me when you get into town, you want to talk geology and mine, that's sounds like a lot of fun, got a great spot to take you, not to hard to get to on the Sky. ED

I know from personal experience that Ed is a great host! I highly suggest diggin with the guy..hospitable, knowledgeable, & great company.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the response! I am looking forward to leaving for Edmonds in a few weeks. Hope you did not suffer from the HEAT this year and stayed out of the fires. Two summers ago, I got to Liberty and the road had been closed for the fire. A nice ranger did let me park off the highway and had a great time panning the Swauk. It was more like a drainage ditch where I was at. I get so few, I remember almost every flake as a personal friend. I will contact you once we are settled in.

Take care, Thurman

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Thurman.
I wanted to thank you for the company yesterday and a few weeks ago. I had a blast and am very happy to have helped you on your quest to find that elusive Washington gold. I hope you had as much fun as I did.
Here are a few pictures to remember that day. Here is hoping you got a real good cleanout.

Mike Everett.

Attachments

• 20150928_103438.jpg
    20150928_103438.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • 2015-09-29 18.29.39.jpg
    2015-09-29 18.29.39.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • 2015-09-29 18.28.55.jpg
    2015-09-29 18.28.55.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 2015-09-29 18.28.04.jpg
    2015-09-29 18.28.04.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 2015-09-29 18.27.33.jpg
    2015-09-29 18.27.33.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I see how it is.....While I am out of town, you two turkeys head out and get that gold. Noted.

Looks like a good time, wish I could have made it. And that water level sure looks like it has come up. The spot forward of the bazookas was only a couple inches of water last time I was there.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A PUBLIC THANK YOU!

All of you who know Mike (mshanygin) and Boyce (Bronze) can appreciate where I am coming from. A couple of really great young guys full of energy, inquiring minds, and prospecting zeal. These guys have families and busy lives. Yet they have taken the time to get a vacationing old Nobody from Florida pointed in the right direction here in the Everett, Washington area.

Western Washington State is a TOUGH prospecting location. Ask anyone who has tried. Three one day trips by myself on a local river last year yielded almost ZERO gold. Through considerable effort, and help from experienced local prospectors, Mike and Boyce have started to unravel the secrets of the elusive, small, thin flaked local gold. Concentrations of this mostly float gold worth your efforts are rare and very specific. Pickers and chunky flakes are almost nonexistent, but as you can see, Mike manages to get some. Much of this gold will go right through normal riffled sluices. We all used Bazookas and are, with careful adjustment, the tool of choice. Hauling pay dirt to the sluice is a requirement in all of the locations I was shown.

However, as illustrated in Mike's photographs, extensive sampling, research, and hard work can really pay off. Even panning this small, flat gold is the most difficult I have ever experienced. It will not stay back under the black sand, which is the normal case. Mike is the best tap-panner I have ever seen. Astonishingly, he can patiently tap a solid, separate line of this stuff ready for the snuffer bottle.

I have never had such fun and learned so much. The adventure with these generous gentlemen gives me great hope for our prospecting future and confirms what Mike calls the Pay-It-Forward nature of TNet members.

Best regards, Thurman

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had a good time Thurman. It was a treat to meet you and I wish I could have gone out with you guys last Monday but had to be out of town.

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At some point we all had no idea where, what or why. We all learned and hopefully keep on learning.
I have had an amazing instructor who showed me the ropes. Et1955 or Ed taught me everything I know about WA gold. Not just look at a bank but really see what is going on. What not to dig which is important. How to pan more efficiently. The man is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge. I would like to thank him from the bottom of my heart.
If it were not for him this adventure would not have happened.
Mike

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Mike, thanks so much for that :) . All is well again, feel free to contact me anytime, I will be exploring more areas soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread