Gold-Drum scam

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was scammed "almost" when I was watching a video on the world wide web about a "new" "product"(snake oil) that can not only apparently wash gold like a trammel, but can be feed by more than 4 people(high volume), but can do it all without being washed for hours... :laughing7:

Yes, it sounds to good to be true because it is... It looks like a stone giant "mixing machine" of some sort. Most of the gold would just fall out, especially "small" bits under 0.2 grams and forget reviving large nuggets since they just fall out the sieve screen onto the ground! :BangHead:

Any horror stories about this "device" snake oil scam?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold drum works, I would just like to see a sluice under it in wet mode to catch any possible fine gold lost.

I like the angle Neo... it's like a pan in water...I would like to see an apron under the course tailing output to keep the tailings out of the fine recovery totally.....

And what if there were holes that actually allowed cons into a sluice run.......:headbang: Not so many as to drain it but enough to let material out...say minus 1/4.....perfect for Gold Hog!!!!!

it's like an Angled trommel Concentratormajjiger!!!!!!

pretty portable set up it could be. Now I have to buy an old cement mixer!!!!
Thanks Alexis:laughing7:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another nice thing about the Gold Drum is that it is easily modified, any recovery system that is easily modified or added onto gets extra marks in my book. :)

OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold drum works, I would just like to see a sluice under it in wet mode to catch any possible fine gold lost.

A sluice is probably the worst thing for fine gold.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My highbanker started it's life as a Keene A-52. It has been extended to about 48 inches, and lined with vortex matting. Under the grizzly is a 1/4" punch plate about 15" long. I catch gold as small as -200 in it. What's wrong with that?

OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you say that and what would be your recommendation?

Takes a lot of time to setup correctly(angle, flow etc), even then requires constant clean outs, and even then it throws out a bit of gold.A fluid bed or a solid state concentrator is better.

OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My highbanker started it's life as a Keene A-52. It has been extended to about 48 inches, and lined with vortex matting. Under the grizzly is a 1/4" punch plate about 15" long. I catch gold as small as -200 in it. What's wrong with that?

It can catch a lot of small gold, but it also throws away a lot of gold too. Only way to tell is to put tilings through a fluid bed or another concentrator. They are advantages in terms of simplicity though for a somewhat decent one in terms for manufacturing. Basically favors simplicity volume over recovery. If you spend all that time to get everything perfect for the recovery then you are better using a fluid bed or some other device. The gold drum would be idea if it worked(which I am unsure of :dontknow: ).

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Won't argue the benefits of a fluidbed, I'm a big fan. What style are you thinking and how would you regulate the flow to the fluid bed off a gold drum? How would you address pre-classifying the material before it enters the fluid bed? This "solid state" concentrator idea, your gonna have to help me out with that one, can you give me a link to an example, please? If your meaning a knelson batch concentrator that would be a bit spendy and overkill for a small gold drum don't ya think, and a spiral wheel concentrator wouldn't work to well off a drum either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't argue the benefits of a fluidbed, I'm a big fan. What style are you thinking and how would you regulate the flow to the fluid bed off a gold drum? How would you address pre-classifying the material before it enters the fluid bed? This "solid state" concentrator idea, your gonna have to help me out with that one, can you give me a link to an example, please? If your meaning a knelson batch concentrator that would be a bit spendy and overkill for a small gold drum don't ya think, and a spiral wheel concentrator wouldn't work to well off a drum either.

I am not sure even how well the gold drum does with flower-gold. Perhaps as people have said it does very well when wet.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not sure even how well the gold drum does with flower-gold. Perhaps as people have said it does very well when wet.

HUH, I'm more confused now? I've noticed your interpretur program has it's ups and downs, sometimes it's very clear and gramatically correct, other times it's very fragmented, that's ok - I know where your coming from.

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is neither a scam nor new idea. Karl Von Mueller used similar set up but with mercury and for clean up large amount of concentrates.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Takes a lot of time to setup correctly(angle, flow etc), even then requires constant clean outs, and even then it throws out a bit of gold.A fluid bed or a solid state concentrator is better.

Once again you've gotten it WRONG!!!! First off, ALL Sluice systems are fluid beds of one type or another. A sluice is hands down the best method for gold recovery of all sizes of gold. Why do you think that so many commercial operations use them? They're there to make money and throwing gold out isn't going to do that!!!! The thing is that you have to take the time to learn the equipment. Once you REALLY KNOW your sluice, setup is quick and easy to do. ANY Equipment has a learning curve to it. Sluice, Pan, gold wheel or Trommel setups have to be learned. To many times through the years I've seen prospectors and miners that have not taken the time to learn how to use a new piece of equipment PROPERLY and they start thinking it's garbage. To say a sluice is a poor piece of equipment for processing is only showing us that you haven't learned how to set one up correctly.

Depending on the size of your operation when you have to do a cleanout can range from hours to days. When they're required is also dependent on the materials you're running. Materials with high amounts of other heavy minerals like magnetite in it will require that cleanouts are done more often to prevent "flat boarding" You also have to know what type of sluice to use in different areas. A Keen A-52 may work well in one area, where a drop riffle design will work better in other areas. Again it's all part of learning your equipment well. Where I'm at, a drop riffle design works best because of the high magnetite content of the materials and I catch everything from major nuggets down to flour gold that is impossible to see without a magnifying glass. Then again I've been doing this for over 30 years now and I KNOW my equipment inside and out. If you don't feel that sluices are good things to use for processing then I'm afraid that you haven't taken the time to learn how to use one properly and that is your loss. I like sluices so much for processing that I run a recirculating system out here in the desert where water has to be hauled in. If they didn't work well, do you really think that they would have remained in use for hundreds if not thousands of years or that I would be bothered with having to haul water in to use one? That is a lot of work in itself but well worth the effort because of the high recovery rate of a PROPERLY setup sluice system.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:BangHead::laughing9:....omfricken goodness!!!!!!!!! you said your self in your very own new mining technique......that your recovery is from a sluice and your getting from a gram to 1/2 an ounce every three hours you run....
You didn't even know what a fluid bed was until someone showed you here....
I would argue and post all the studies that show you don't know what you are talking about....but, you would just start talking about how 747's when turned counterclockwise into the earths mantle are the the most efficient tools to remove urea crystals....and seeing stones from the earth......

sucks that the mods have to warn us....I wish they would read all of your posts as a whole and do the appropriate thing as you do not belong here!

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
"Hey guys. I started gold mining/prospecting in order to have my own small business. I have only been able to find a few grams a day with a small sluice box with placer mining, I only get to spend 2-3 hours per day unfortunately."

This is exactly what he/she said.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hey guys. I started gold mining/prospecting in order to have my own small business. I have only been able to find a few grams a day with a small sluice box with placer mining, I only get to spend 2-3 hours per day unfortunately."

This is exactly what he/she said.

yea, its pretty bad......we are not supposed to insult per the rules!!!!! yet, these threads can be started and comments made by someone that are the definition of insulting...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yea, its pretty bad......we are not supposed to insult per the rules!!!!! yet, these threads can be started and comments made by someone that are the definition of insulting...

Just keep posing the questions and one of two things will happen;
1. They will get tired of being put on the spot and won't want to look the fool and go away
2. They will try and BS us and expose themselves for the fool they are in which case folks will hopefully ignore them until they go away

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just keep posing the questions and one of two things will happen;
1. They will get tired of being put on the spot and won't want to look the fool and go away
2. They will try and BS us and expose themselves for the fool they are in which case folks will hopefully ignore them until they go away

There is another option, Don't reply at all. When that happens they usually move on to greener pastures.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is another option, Don't reply at all. When that happens they usually move on to greener pastures.

All for it but that takes a group effort which is hard to come by as we've seen. But what the heck as much as I find this entertaining and all I'll give it another shot- Bye Alexias2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread