DIY Rain Gutter Rubber Sluices

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Guys, here's my latest video where I show 2 different size gutter sluices I made for working narrow streams and creeks. I made these because I had previously visited a stream i couldn't set my sluice up in as it was too narrow. I knew I would be visiting similar streams again so I decided to make a couple of different length's gutter sluices. These are your standard guttering with fine ribbed rubber matting running down the base and along the sides to trap all small and fine gold.

I hope you like the video and feel free to like, comment and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more upcoming videos, cheers :)
https://youtu.be/kuRDSZWxr2I

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like your idea. Did it work or do you have any gold to test it? If you did get gold there, I'd get something to divert those falls, get that boulder out of the way (30 sec in) and empty that honey hole. That hasn't worked for me so far, but I keep a tryin. Awhile back, I found some black deep ribbed gutter but haven't tried it as yet. Good luck!:icon_thumright:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a similar sluice with some rib mat and gutter piece and recirculated with a 250 gph 12 volt pump and valve to control flow. Worked well if using only for cons & running slowly. The 1/4 mat's riffles will fill up quickly if ran too fast. No more than about a tablespoon full of material at a time.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about using one of those ribbed gutter extensions too. I wonder if instead of using matting, maybe a spray can of rubberized/texture spray would work better??

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about using one of those ribbed gutter extensions too. I wonder if instead of using matting, maybe a spray can of rubberized/texture spray would work better??

Great idea as well! At the GPAA show I saw a recirculating finish sluice with a texture similar to the spray you mentioned, that grabbed super fine gold. It had to be run very slow, and no more than a teaspoonful of black sand at a time but it was very impressive to see it work.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is an interesting idea. Can I borrow that? I think I wanna flex seal the upper part of a wooden sluice.

Great idea! Maybe do it inside and out to REALLY waterproof it!

OP
OP
Goldgrabber

Goldgrabber

Mar 24, 2015
England, UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for not replying sooner, just got back today from another planned trip with a buddy, he found his biggest bit to date and I got a clinker so all is well. I use a version of this under my blue bowl incase it flushes anything out. I wasn't running a lot of material through the sluices here, I'd done a lot more work using one the day before but forgot my camera so this was more just to show them and the idea I'd had to make them due to the ground I knew I could work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread