Fool breathing in sulfur fumes!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Interesting video. The oxidation of the sulphide ores is started by exposure to air. I am not sure what the introduction of water, through rain, has on this process. A weak sulfuric acid is one of the results, however. I see the remains of this process frequently, but have never witnessed it. No immediate danger to anyone from the gasses produced in this situation. Far less sulphur and arsenic gas from this entire tailings pile than a typical bubbling hot spring.

Still, it is a cool video.

OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting video. The oxidation of the sulphide ores is started by exposure to air. I am not sure what the introduction of water, through rain, has on this process. A weak sulfuric acid is one of the results, however. I see the remains of this process frequently, but have never witnessed it. No immediate danger to anyone from the gasses produced in this situation. Far less sulphur and arsenic gas from this entire tailings pile than a typical bubbling hot spring.

Still, it is a cool video.

If you do research you will find that this is very dangerous! The old time miners used to roast ore to get gold out of the pyrite, so instead of just crushing then extracting they would basically to a fire assay in mass production if you wilt, for them it was worth doing it since they could get 30% or so more gold from their ore. Now days it is banned for good reasons, it is far more dangerous than even mercury amalgams. This is also a few tons of ore burning in the video and he is standing right over the top of it.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, I don't follow links that aren't recognized video sites.
Could find the video on YouTube and post that link?

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is you tube

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oakview no insults.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The old time miners used to roast ore to get gold out of the pyrite, so instead of just crushing then extracting they would basically to a fire assay in mass production if you wilt, for them it was worth doing it since they could get 30% or so more gold from their ore. Now days it is banned for good reasons, it is far more dangerous than even mercury amalgams.

None of this is true.

Were you educated in California alexias2? That's the only place I know of where they make up "facts" about mining and call it "education".

If you are worried about open roasting of ores you might want to investigate the old "patio" process. Or consider roasting in an autoclave like most miners do today.

In any case please educate yourself before you proceed. Processing some ores can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. The myths you have in your mind are much more dangerous than the facts.

Educate yourself and prosper! :thumbsup:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, so I just did a little more research on the redirect URL from the video she posted, its a URL shortening service so nothing to be worried about.
I just usually don't follow links that aren't specific, especially hyperlinks.
I hover my mouse over hyperlinks before clicking.
I run windows and viruses flock to it. lol

Anyways I just wasn't familiar with bit.ly's redirect and shortening service.

Thanks for posting the video Alexias. :)

OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of this is true.

Were you educated in California alexias2? That's the only place I know of where they make up "facts" about mining and call it "education".

If you are worried about open roasting of ores you might want to investigate the old "patio" process. Or consider roasting in an autoclave like most miners do today.

In any case please educate yourself before you proceed. Processing some ores can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. The myths you have in your mind are much more dangerous than the facts.

Educate yourself and prosper! :thumbsup:

I would not buy an autoclave because I would rather live that extra 10 years of life than be slowly killed by highly toxic chemicals. Even if the sulfur and Arsenic does not kill you right away over the years small exposure can ruin your life and general health!

The patio process takes so long that you would need about 1000 tons of ore just to make a few extra bucks. Still dangerous too.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing the video Alexias. Very cool to see a natural process proceeding fast enough to make visible smoke!

I do doubt it's really hazardous out in the open, fresh air but caution is always warranted.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not buy an autoclave because I would rather live that extra 10 years of life than be slowly killed by highly toxic chemicals. Even if the sulfur and Arsenic does not kill you right away over the years small exposure can ruin your life and general health!

The patio process takes so long that you would need about 1000 tons of ore just to make a few extra bucks. Still dangerous too.

Well alexias, DHMO is widely used in mining also, and it can be very hazardous in some circumstances. So I guess if you are an intelligent human being capable of operating dangerous machinery, such as a car, safely, then it is likely that you would understand what you are doing, and such things as arsenic or autoclaves are unlikely to be hazardous.

By the way here is a link to information on DMHO.
Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well alexias, DHMO is widely used in mining also, and it can be very hazardous in some circumstances. So I guess if you are an intelligent human being capable of operating dangerous machinery, such as a car, safely, then it is likely that you would understand what you are doing, and such things as arsenic or autoclaves are unlikely to be hazardous.

By the way here is a link to information on DMHO.
Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

H2O, is COMPLETELY different in the context of what this concerns. That is like comparing a savage tiger to a ***** cat kitten. Non-immediate dangers almost always lead to long term exposure of these toxins and in even in small amounts can cause long term health effects. Remember this is liberated arsenic gas, which you are breathing into your lungs. This is not like the arsenic in fruit and vegetables either. It can also be absorbed through skin contact, and residue can stay on clothing.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H2O, is COMPLETELY different in the context of what this concerns. That is like comparing a savage tiger to a ***** cat kitten. Non-immediate dangers almost always lead to long term exposure of these toxins and in even in small amounts can cause long term health effects. Remember this is liberated arsenic gas, which you are breathing into your lungs. This is not like the arsenic in fruit and vegetables either. It can also be absorbed through skin contact, and residue can stay on clothing.

Like said earlier in the thread it's always good to try to be safe. Depending on what you read or study, there are "studies" that can make anything around us have some long term effect or none at all depending on what's being pushed and why.

Every job has a toxic side effect. Heck, I just read an article on ozone from thunderstorms. breathing that can cause lung problems. So....to consider the guy in the video a fool? I'm not so sure he's doing anything more harmful than we do on a day to day basis not even realizing it. I try to stay somewhat safe, but homes have lead paint, radon seeping up through basements, who knows what in wells, fluoride in city water,make sure you get sun, stay out of the sun, etc............Were all fools depending on what you look into.......It's all toxic in one study and safe in another.....

If I had a chance to stand over it and watch the natural reaction? I would be less afraid of that than the stuff I'm going to breath working today or at jobs in the past!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like said earlier in the thread it's always good to try to be safe. Depending on what you read or study, there are "studies" that can make anything around us have some long term effect or none at all depending on what's being pushed and why.

Every job has a toxic side effect. Heck, I just read an article on ozone from thunderstorms. breathing that can cause lung problems. So....to consider the guy in the video a fool? I'm not so sure he's doing anything more harmful than we do on a day to day basis not even realizing it. I try to stay somewhat safe, but homes have lead paint, radon seeping up through basements, who knows what in wells, fluoride in city water,make sure you get sun, stay out of the sun, etc............Were all fools depending on what you look into.......It's all toxic in one study and safe in another.....

If I had a chance to stand over it and watch the natural reaction? I would be less afraid of that than the stuff I'm going to breath working today or at jobs in the past!

I am not sure any study would agree that breathing in arsenic is anything but very toxic! If roasting ore was healthy then everyone and their grandmother would be doing it, to get that gold out of the pyrite. Who wants to throw gold away?:notworthy:

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well actually arsenic is excreted in the urine and doesn't bio-accumulate like lead or mercury. Basically my doctor told me once that if you are poisoned, with the exception of metals that the body has no mechanism to get ahold of to remove, a poison either kills you or it is removed fairly quickly and you get better and are ok. Also the arsenic one might breathe in would be on the order of nanograms per cubic liter of air, as the amount of arsenic in ores is very minute. You drink about 1/3 of a milligram (millions of times more than a nanogram) in the water you drink each day, and if you live around a city get far more arsenic than if you live in the country.

I see your statements as fear mongering and don't believe you have a leg to stand on to support your claims.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure any study would agree that breathing in arsenic is anything but very toxic! If roasting ore was healthy then everyone and their grandmother would be doing it, to get that gold out of the pyrite. Who wants to throw gold away?:notworthy:

My comment was for the video and the small amount he may have smelled. I don't know enough about roasting ores on a large scale. Inhaling the dust that his four wheeler kicks up might give him silicosis too.:laughing7:

I just added this because I was reading what it had to say. So I stuck it here, it was already on my search from my own curiosity. It's not to prove or disprove anything. Just info.....
ATSDR - Medical Management Guidelines (MMGs): Arsenic

Last edited:

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alexias, here are the facts regarding arsenic poisoning from the CDC. But I fear the facts will only get in the way since you think you already know it all.

"The primary routes of arsenic entry into the body are ingestion and inhalation. Dermal absorption also occurs, but to a lesser extent.

The half-life of inorganic arsenic in humans is about 10 hours [Rossman 2007].

Arsenic undergoes biomethylation in the liver.

Approximately 70% of arsenic is excreted, mainly in urine [Rossman 2007].

Arsenic is excreted in the urine; most of a single, low-level dose is excreted within a few days after ingestion.

Dermal absorption is generally negligible, although toxic systemic effects have resulted from rare occupational accidents where either arsenic trichloride or arsenic acid was splashed on workers' skin."

You can read it all here:
Arsenic Toxicity Case Study: What is the Biologic Fate of Arsenic in the Body? | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM

Further more, the primary source of arsenic in pyrites is arsenopyrite, called arsenopyrite for the obvious reason. It contains arsenic (very very small amount.) It is only ONE Of many sulfides (pyrites) as there are many others, such as chalcopyrite, cubanite, and others. So you show a video of pyrites burning and cry 'arsenic' ... so how do you know what pyrite is burning there anyhow?

Here is a list of the sulfides, and if you examine the chemisty of each you will find most don't carry arsenic.
The Mineral Gallery - Sulfides Class

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alexias, here are the facts regarding arsenic poisoning from the CDC. But I fear the
facts will only get in the way since you think you already know it all.

LP, thank you for sharing facts, not fear.
respect-062.gif~original

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know about others, but I have always disliked people that refuse to educate themself then run around and proclaim they know the facts and scare other fools. That's how the greenies work. For example, in the case of arsenic, you will find an article that states that polluted well water is a major source of arsenic resulting from mining waste. But when you look at the facts used, they were refering to Bangladesh for gods sake! NOT the USA. They are talking about 3rd world problems of pollution related to mining. But people see that part 'arsenic in ground water from gold mining' and they blow a cork and run around screaming the sky is falling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions