Where to do some prospecting / panning around Chicago?

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys and Gals, I had big plans for when I retired to do some massive traveling and gold hunting. Alas my health has limited me on traveling a lot. So my question is where can I find some color in the Chicagoland area within 200 miles. That is about the most I can drive in a day. Anyone have a panning area, not spot that they want to check out and don't mind a slow tag along? I have the need to find some color soon. I haven't been out in almost2 years now.

Upvote 0

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good group they come down my way I have worked gravel along side of some of them just west of the Illinois river in case county. you could try the beaches on lake michigan have heard some have found some there. Try some of these Oak street, North ave, Montrose, Lane beach, Columbia ave, leone park, Jarvis beach, Howard street. I was born and raised in the windy city and spent a lot time at the lake.

Hope this helps some

Bill

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few of their members came down to the Southern Indiana meeting a couple years ago. You are right, nice folks.
Good group they come down my way I have worked gravel along side of some of them just west of the Illinois river in case county. you could try the beaches on lake michigan have heard some have found some there. Try some of these Oak street, North ave, Montrose, Lane beach, Columbia ave, leone park, Jarvis beach, Howard street. I was born and raised in the windy city and spent a lot time at the lake.

Hope this helps some

Bill

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gentlemen, I have picked up a bag of black sand off of Montrose while MD'ing that I need to pan but I am sure with the small amount I have I wont find anything. I need to buy me a Bazooka sluice for the beaches. I will check out NE Illinois Gold club for sure. If anyone needs info on where to find gold along the Llano river in Texas I have some good area that produces some little chuncky specimens. I will never make it there again so I have no problem passing along the info. Just wont post it public because it is a beautiful area that should not be overran by the masses.
DSCI0179.JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See what gear is favored by the club members before you buy new equipment for yourself. Much as I love the Bazookas, different places call for different gear...for beach sand, I would use a Gold Cube or a beach sluice from Doug Watson rather than a fluid bed.

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Hi Guys and Gals, I had big plans for when I retired to do some massive traveling and gold hunting. Alas my health has limited me on traveling a lot. So my question is where can I find some color in the Chicagoland area within 200 miles. That is about the most I can drive in a day. Anyone have a panning area, not spot that they want to check out and don't mind a slow tag along? I have the need to find some color soon. I haven't been out in almost2 years now.

I am in Illinois also and I do all my prospecting in Indiana. The closest place I go to is about a 2 hour drive each way. So not really close. I know in Illinois its not legal to pan at any public places.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is only two places in Il that is pan only and they are state parks. I won't go in to detail here you can PM me for other info.

Last edited:

Labman

Greenie
Sep 18, 2015
LaSalle County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy here to prospecting. I am in north central Illinois and would love to learn from the experienced folks. Anyone near LaSalle County?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Labman

Greenie
Sep 18, 2015
LaSalle County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you KevinInColorado. I recall reading portions of those pages. A second read sure made it clearer. Based on all of that, I believe the creek I am at is prime for Illinois.

This winter, I expect to build a few sluice boxes and contraptions for the upcoming season. The only one I have does not allow me to use miners moss or hog mat.

Thanks again.

el_guapo

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind looking foolish, you can vacuum or sweep up the dirt in the sidewalks around the "diamond and jewelry building" inside the city.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread