Gps apps for Android?

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was curious if any of you use a gps app for your phone? I was checking out handheld gps units last night. The cheaper ones start around $100 all the way up to around $500 for the higher end units. Then the thought occurred to me, why couldn't I just use a smart phone for a handheld gps?? I started looking into that and the best I've found so far is Back Country Navigator. From what I read it allows for offline gps use but I haven't gotten to try it yet other than playing around with it at the house where I have wifi and 4g. Has anyone else found a better app?

I know this isn't specific to gold but I know it's a tool a lot of people use to find the yella stuff so I thought it'd be appropriate here hopefully :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use back country navigator and love it, you can download maps for use offline with no cell service.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried searching for this in the App Store and couldn't find it. What is the exact name?

OP
OP
CA Gold Hunter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried searching for this in the App Store and couldn't find it. What is the exact name?

It's "BackCountry Navigator". I'm not sure if it's available for apple but I was able to get it on my S5. ASMbandits did you get the whole app? I'm just trying out the free one and I already filled up the memory on my phone with my county and another area I'm planning on prospecting. The demo app wont let you switch the saved maps to the micro usb I guess until you buy it but its looking like the 11 or so bucks is gonna be worth it for this one.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Backcountry Navigator, I paid for the full app and I rarely do this but it was worth it in my opinion. Worth every penny to me. I like the tracking features and that you can download topo or imagery maps.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been using "Track Ranger GPS" on my Droid phone and it seems to work quite well. Best part about it is that it's free. I'm more of a map and compass kind of guy but I have found this little app to be handy from time to time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread