Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
424978_425027797547841_574573415_n.jpg
Those in southern Oregon, and northern Cali keep and eye out.
[h=5]

Marvin Garry Lampshire
[/h]8 mins ·

here is a picture of the Dredge that was stolen just days before it happend

Like · Comment · Share

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this talk of shooting someone over a dredge theft had me thinking, would you really shot someone that was trying to steal your degree? Even on a claim wouldn't this be considered manslaughter or murder especially if the person was un armed? Don't get me wrong I'm all for protecting your stuff and think it's quite a shame that these scum would do this but watch out for yourself as well, it's not worth the conviction going that route imo. They make a cheap , a little black box that uses gps and a SIM card you can hide somewhere on the dredge that will give you the ability to track is location if ever stolen, this might be an option.

In state of Florida no it wouldn't be. We have the right to defend our possessions with the use of force.. You could shoot a thief in the butt to defend your property.

Title XLVI
CRIMES

776.031 Use or threatened use of force in defense of property.—
(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something with night vision...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a BIG chain attached to a BIG tree use a game camera and carry a BIG borE weapon. A nice motion detector ,cow bell, EMPTY CANS WITH ROCKS ON A STRING, and many other ways to keep equipment safe. Worst problem ever was with kayakers on the Sacramento as isolationists who think they own it all and you are degrading their experience--yes with lead. I do kayak BUT NEVER met a more environutz crowd as attended meetings here with 2 clubs and THEY contrive to steal, destroy and deploy normal normal sic sic sic.GOD :censored: THIEVES ALL TO ll- jOHN---ps-I DO NOT CRINGE,JUST BREATHE IN,BREATHE OUT, AIM AND SLOWLY PULL THE TRIGGER AND VIOLA NO MO' THIEVES-been there done that and much easier than you'd imagine.

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
securing a dredge from theft, not easy. it is only as safe as it's weakest link
i have pad locked, motor to frame, and parts of the frame in hopes that it would discourage people from unbolting and taking parts from the dredge, my worry has always been the anchoring, that for me is it's weakest link, drill a hole in a large rock or wrap around a tree use 1/2" cable, or the use of a heavy duty chain. how do you prevent theft from a cordless saw?

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In state of Florida no it wouldn't be. We have the right to defend our possessions with the use of force.. You could shoot a thief in the butt to defend your property.

Title XLVI
CRIMES

776.031 Use or threatened use of force in defense of property.—
(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

Here in California things are different. I knew someone that was charged with murder and is in prison to this day because of it, he caught someone trying to steal his truck in his driveway and shoot the person to death. Protect your stuff but for most protect yourself and make sane rational judgments as it could end up costing you your freedom. I personally don't agree that auto or dredge theft is enough reason to take a person's life regardless if they are a scum bag or not. I've had quite a lot stolen over the years, you have to take some responsibility these days as it's a different world and you have to assume the worst and prepare for it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn't pay me enough money to live in California, I like my freedoms...

If you read what I quoted it says "use of force" not "use of deadly force".

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The new California law is you can steal anything in any manner worth $950 or less including a vehicle and face only a misdemeanor.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn't pay me enough money to live in California, I like my freedoms...

If you read what I quoted it says "use of force" not "use of deadly force".
I read what you said and understood it fully, you have to take into consideration that even with your laws in Florida it's not as simple as shoot them in the butt. The way the law reads is not to me a licence to shoot people, say your shot is off and you happen to kill the person what then? With lawyers and lawmakers and judges these days it's hard to say what could come off the situation you described even if it wasn't fatal, just be sure your action is worth the possible repercussions. Ever see the movie American history x? While not the same situation it gives a very good example of what can happen as a result of thinking with irrational emotion and hate in a real world situation.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Ok, Shooting them over a dredge is kind of extreme!:laughing7: Ball bat? I like the rock salt idea! Almost everyone knows someone shot with that! Or maybe it was just my crazy family? hmmmmmm.....Well, anyhow........This is one of those topics I'm on the fence of! I see both sides. I also shouldn't have to lock down and protect my stuff, to save someones life that would want to steal it? Or am I mixed up? Like I said, I'm mixed on this........

Sry off topic And that was to TH.:laughing7:

I'll it here, Just to get my opinion out. :laughing7:

Coming from someone that may have known or have done some not so good things in there distant past.( not proud of it) I have an idea of where the mindset is. You can not lock,bolt down,hide,video tape, enough to stop a determined person.I heard about gps tracking? a seasoned person will find and pull that in a hurry! It just adds to the excitement and challenge!

In my opinion, you should be able to drop someone taking your stuff! Sry, it may be barbaric, And I would not feel a bit guilty about it. There are very few exceptions. Like someone stealing food from your garden? Ok, might want to see if they are hungry.

I get that it's not the wild west! But if there is nothing to be afraid of? What stops people? What's the dredge worth? I want one, if I get caught no one can do a thing to me! The fines are probably cheaper after court on first offense than it would be to buy a dredge! Now, I have a dredge, who has a claim, that already opened a hole and isn't around, they can't shoot by law either, so if I get caught I leave the whole mess and hope to outrun them. There has to be fear! I know how these people think! I grew up around a lot of these type people! We work too hard for our stuff!

I would help any one I could! I would not steal a thing, if I borrowed something I would return in the same or better shape than when I received it! So don't take my post wrong! Unfortunately, I worked and was around people that thought like the above. In some ways I'm glad i did. I know more of what to watch out for in people. They weigh it out, money verses cost of consequence! Not saying it's right! But It's true!
I agree that if you could just shoot someone for theft off anything and have no repercussions to deal with like 150 years ago, things would probably be better and if I lived in thoes times I'd be living by this and imo I think it would mean less theft and probably is a better way to live. But sadly this is not the world we live in and the mindset has to match the times, in action not so much ideals or how you think it should be.. Ignore this and you may end up the one behind bars simple as that. Again I agree that it would be better if you could shoot someone stealing from you but the rest of the country, lawyers, judges and lawmakers don't seem to agree. For example, Say your teenage son was hanging out with the wrong crowd, he's a good kid just confused and not thinking clearly at this moment in his life, his new group of ruff friends peer pressured him into stealing something with the group and was shot dead, over a dredge. Do you agree that he got what he deserved? You know outright yes his actions dictated his future, but I bet there is much more to it that your feeling and I'm sure your not happy with the dredge owner for his actions. He made his bed and slept in it but is that all there is to it?. All I'm trying to say it's not so cut and dry all the time. It's not always the scum bag that deserves it outright and we as individuals do not have the authority to make this decision of a life over a posession, that is what we have courts and law and things are the way they are now.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric , I too have a past. I got caught raiding a garden when I was young and dumb! Boy I must say a 4-10 full of rock salt in the butt sure does sting and make you cry. I don't know what was worse the salt or my father when I got home. Life in a small town! I know when I go out by myself I carry you never know who is going to be out there. Desperate people do desperate things my self I would rather be safe than sorry. But I also use my head, cause once it leaves the barrel you can't take it back!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 4, 2015
LAKE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) -

A Lake County man has shot and wounded an unarmed 16-year-old boy he says had been stealing a television from his neighbor's home.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office reports the man was out walking with his wife Tuesday near their Grand Island area home when he saw the teen in his neighbor's backyard. The man told deputies he armed himself and went to investigate. He said he saw the teen heaving the television out a broken window.

The man says he told the teen to stop and get on the ground. He says the teen charged him, prompting him to fire one shot at the boy.

The boy was transported by helicopter to Orlando Regional Medical Center. He was listed in stable condition.

A Sheriff's Office spokesman says no criminal charges were expected against the shooter. It wasn't clear if the teen would be facing charges.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/29708529/deputies-teen-shot-while-attempting-to-burglarize-home

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that if you could just shoot someone for theft off anything and have no repercussions to deal with like 150 years ago, things would probably be better and if I lived in thoes times I'd be living by this and imo I think it would mean less theft and probably is a better way to live. But sadly this is not the world we live in and the mindset has to match the times, in action not so much ideals or how you think it should be.. Ignore this and you may end up the one behind bars simple as that. Again I agree that it would be better if you could shoot someone stealing from you but the rest of the country, lawyers, judges and lawmakers don't seem to agree. For example, Say your teenage son was hanging out with the wrong crowd, he's a good kid just confused and not thinking clearly at this moment in his life, his new group of ruff friends peer pressured him into stealing something with the group and was shot dead, over a dredge. Do you agree that he got what he deserved? You know outright yes his actions dictated his future, but I bet there is much more to it that your feeling and I'm sure your not happy with the dredge owner for his actions. He made his bed and slept in it but is that all there is to it?. All I'm trying to say it's not so cut and dry all the time. It's not always the scum bag that deserves it outright and we as individuals do not have the authority to make this decision of a life over a posession, that is what we have courts and law and things are the way they are now.

I agree! With most of what you are saying. I still have mixed thoughts on it. I also see your point on the son and wrong crowd! I hung around that crowd, I knew when things weren't right. Also backed out of a lot of things, Maybe influenced by 20 yr older people, but I knew! So, I don't agree with you completely on that. Law and courts? I can tell you how all that works too in some areas.On thefts, and nonviolent stuff. Maybe, not so much anymore like it was in the past.

Anyhow, I see all sides, I just lean more toward you should be able to protect you and your property/possessions. I realize the laws don't match. And I know this could be debated to death! I've thought about it in many different directions. I still come back to....People work hard for there stuff! I don't care who! No one should take it! For whatever reason! And the fear needs to be there. If you want to chance stealing something and it could result in death? Then go for it! Maybe, most of it would stop if that was the question people had to ask themselves thinking about taking something.

I understand the laws, and that we can't, I'm just blabbing!:laughing7:

I also knew a guy that was shot at, didn't stop, and a few years later was shot point blank. He stopped! Sry to say it! I've thought about that a lot! I knew him personally, he was a bad person! Not saying he deserved it, but he won't take things or hurt anymore people! The courts, never did a thing too him. I can go forever on this stuff. And examples! I've thought about this kind of topic a lot, and many different directions and possibility's! There are real bad people out there! Why, should we have to give them the chance of us deciding if they are good or not, by then it might be too late for us!

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both sides as well. Part of the problem which history has shown is that when people are give the right to make the decision of taking a person's life for what they feel is the right reason, society may not always agree and this is why we have been stripped of this right and law and order decides (in non life threatening situations). In theory if you were to amplify the situation, say take modern civilization as we know it today and remove all law, give everyone the right to call out how they see it, do you think there would be more order or chaos? I'm leaning twards chaos. There's a reason the US is not a third world country, and it has a lot to do with law and order. I've been hit with rock salt, deer hunting when I was much younger on land I shouldn't have been on, I didn't even know as the land was not posted and was a new area to me. I'm lucky that it was just salt and the one behind the barrel was a God fearing individual.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both sides as well. Part of the problem which history has shown is that when people are give the right to make the decision of taking a person's life for what they feel is the right reason, society may not always agree and this is why we have been stripped of this right and law and order decides (in non life threatening situations). In theory if you were to amplify the situation, say take modern civilization as we know it today and remove all law, give everyone the right to call out how they see it, do you think there would be more order or chaos? I'm leaning twards chaos. There's a reason the US is not a third world country, and it has a lot to do with law and order. I've been hit with rock salt, deer hunting when I was much younger on land I shouldn't have been on, I didn't even know as the land was not posted and was a new area to me. I'm lucky that it was just salt and the one behind the barrel was a God fearing individual.

I agree! But that would get into the debate of "law and order". :laughing7: This could get too deep for my mind!And actually goes into many subjects and ideas! :tongue3:

I deleted some posts, I missed what you were originally saying and went a whole different direction while thinking of other topics.:laughing7: I tend to do that!

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With limited dredge permits and new regulations....A dredge will be a hard item to "flip" I have family in grants pass, and I spend a lot of time over there. There are a few of us keeping our eyes open.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking a person life over some material possesion?...shame on you. Especially when I can think of a dozen non lethal solutions to most problems. Sucks to have your property stolen I get it. It's happens to me but I'm not going to jail over it!....or HELL for that matter....

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking a person life over some material possesion?...shame on you. Especially when I can think of a dozen non lethal solutions to most problems. Sucks to have your property stolen I get it. It's happens to me but I'm not going to jail over it!....or HELL for that matter....

I get that a lot!:laughing7: I guess my views are extreme on some things. It's not the idea of the possessions, they mean little. It's the Idea that someone can just run around taking what's not theirs, that people work hard for! That's what means a lot to me! Anyhow,Hope it never happens, and I can say all I want on the computer in My living room. So, if it came down to it? Who knows until standing right there in the moment. Hopefully, I would think about consequence to me over the anger of them running off with the stuff. Who knows?

were all from different areas,pasts,experience,upbringing, so that makes a difference too!

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With limited dredge permits and new regulations....A dredge will be a hard item to "flip" I have family in grants pass, and I spend a lot of time over there. There are a few of us keeping our eyes open.

Once a thief always a thief! Have them arrested and they get 3 hots and a cot, still basically stealing our money by wasting tax money. If one gets taken out (let's face it, they're called dumb crooks for a reason) you don't have to worry about them being more brazen in the future and hurting or killing an innocent. If they don't want to get put down then it's their own fault if they do. After all, they used to hang horse thieves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread