Michigan prospecting

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going on a trip here in a couple weeks, thinking about doing some prospecting along the way. I am traveling from Southeastern Michigan to Copper Harbor, so pretty open as far as where to go.

In addition to pans I have screens and a mini sluice.

I have heard about Barkus campground and wondered if anyone has actually gone there?

Upvote 0

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard there's some gold up on the tip east of Copper Harbor. Check the beaches for black sand, and dig the gravel at the waterline as some may have worked into the gravel. The north shore is Copper Harbor Conglomerate a decayed basalt and a source of agates, copper, silver, ect. Further inland you hit the Portage Lake Volcanics which is where the main copper veins were. There's arsenic found around Mohawk.

I've been looking to hit the underwater gravel overlying the Portage Lake Volcanics at Bette Grise. Lots of ridges filled with gravel there down to the sand bottom at 35-50' deep.

Try the north shore beach sands east of Grand Maris on the way back if you get a chance.

STOP the whining and START the mining!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is extremely helpful. Can I use my mini sluice on the beach? And when you say arsenic in Mohawk, what do you mean? Someone I know was pointing me there to find copper.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is extremely helpful. Can I use my mini sluice on the beach? And when you say arsenic in Mohawk, what do you mean? Someone I know was pointing me there to find copper.

You need a permit for the pump.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the mine at Mohawk, they pulled up mohawkite (domeykite/algodonite) which is found with the copper vein. It will look metallic, and is comprised of copper/silver and arsenic.

If you run recirculating, I don't think you need a pump permit. Could be wrong.

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. I'm normally a recirculating system, but at a water source why would I lol?

Where would I get a pump permit and how much is it?

Probably not worth it for my tiny sluice.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 10 days prospecting between Marquette and Copper harbor, you will need a 4 wheel drive, at least a 9" clearance. You are likely to find a bunch of Silver and small specks of gold. You WILL need to Classify to at least 100mesh! Or leave all that behind and take your F2 go out for float copper good specimens still can bring 4-6.00 per/pound!

Hmmm. I'm normally a recirculating system, but at a water source why would I lol?

Where would I get a pump permit and how much is it?

Probably not worth it for my tiny sluice.

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must not have updated my signature, I'm up to a CTX 3030 now.

Not really looking to go at it quite that hard, maybe half a day prospecting, half metal detecting. And I don't think my Jeep is quite that capable yet.

I do have screens though - 8 in total from 1/2 to 100

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that looks pretty complicated. I'll just have to bring the bins along and recirculate.

Thanks for all your help Kevin. Maybe someday I'll get to hit up your state for gold/ gems.

Probably going to be up there Thursday and then Friday, not sure if I will be bringing help or not, so if anyone wants to meet up for prospecting or metal detecting let me know.

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to barkus twice this summer. I'm in se mi also and travel up north for most summer holidays. Spent a total of about 12 hours panning In the 2 trips and didn't find much but did find gold. The 12 hours produced less than the amount of dirt under the fingernail on my pinkie finger. Was still awesome to find that elusive michigan gold. It cost $10 to get in and it's a bit tight to get back there. I'd go again in a minute.

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. The trip was last week. Didn't give myself enough time. I skipped Barkus thinking I would just process some lake Superior sand, but in the end didn't have time for that. Had a pretty great trip though. Did the tour at Adventure mining co. And my guide there gave me his secret spot for copper. And then later I got pointed to a little old lady who owns a tailings pile.
57a8d5bdccfe76a45052c59c813412a2.jpg
91dad6bac358310ae6659f1c79f8969c.jpg
9637c75f22119c6cf84b8efb0653848d.jpg
1024998304b206c8765baa338663e5b8.jpg
5ed63b130aaa56a80b69a78700572fb8.jpg
a4a63e79d305ab84b42907132357b1df.jpg
9c4204ae3faa8b6f67f032cace66c98c.jpg

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used