Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry. I just can't wrap my head around the sheet in a stream, but rather than sit back and throw barbs, I decided to present my latest project that IMHO should work.

Parts: half of an 8" diameter plastic culvert, found on road...about 32" long, inside ribs 1/2 " deep, 1/2" hardware cloth and two belt keepers (out of strap ties)
Cost: $0 scraps and found items

We all know you gotta anchor your sluice in a fast body of water. I wanted a cheap, light, disposable sluice and didn't want to pack anything bulky or heavy. So then I spied the left over hard ware cloth from the pump filter project and :idea1:

Gonna test it on Tuesday with the edge of rapids feeding it. One big rock in the middle. I plan on treating it like a carpet and panning the cons (for fast sampling) of a new (but large) area.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, looks like a your in for moving some material. Are you going to the place we've talked about recently?

I've tried calling you but don't get a ring at all. I don't know if it's my phone, US Cellular, your phone or what. Call me if you get a chance.

Just got your message.

Mike

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

Good idea. Better than a sheet. As with any gold catcher, it depends on what you feed it. I can see some problems of clearing the "grizzly" as it fills with the wrong size pebbles, but so what. You will definitely catch some of the gold fed through it - maybe a large percentage of it. Much better than doing nothing while you wait for your new Bazooka to arrive in the mail!

I like boots on the ground shoveling pay into anything that encourages heavies to settle while the lighter material continues downstream.

Good luck, Thurman

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman-The good thing is gold is heavier than anything else I'm shoveling in. Lots of flow and 40" for it to drop? It'll work me thinks. Just don't want to overload it. We''ll soon see.

Yes Mike, same area. Last time I was scouting upstream, I found either an old tailings pile or old river bed on the other side. You may have already seen it. I'll pm you if I can't call tomorrow.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. It weighs less than 2 pounds and I can bungee it to my pack and not even know it's there. I can also use the bungee to keep it with me in the water.

Did some"bench" testing today to avoid any surprises at creek side. Probably start out submerging the sluice completely. I also plan on feeding it with my hand trowel to keep myself from breaking it down. At first I will pan the contents of the pan to ensure nothing good is coming out of the end. After that it should be dump, clean out and pan.

I was wondering what I could use to rinse it completely out while it is vertical???

001.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read a lot of tips concerning sampling highway drainage culverts in gold country. I've a culvert myself which I soon intend to check out - after spiders and snakes go away for the Winter.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a final update on the sluice. When I last used it, it was a rough prototype that I really didn't think would work as well as it did. After testing, I was 100% satisfied with it's performance and finished the job. To finish it up, I rolled the seam of the hardware cloth down to the bottom and locked the sluice in place by "sewing" or folding ALL the exposed sharp points of the hardware cloth. Before, when you handled it or reached inside to clean out the rocks it was much like putting your arm in an angry sharks' mouth...and I have the scars to prove it. :angry9:

I also wanted to be more exact on sizes and details. The rigid non-perforated culvert was 32" long, found already cut in half and just under 8" across. I wrapped it tight with the cloth so the intake was 7 3/4" and exit is 7 1/4". I believe the original pipe was like this tho I'm not good with pie/circumference/ etc...

Culvert Plastic 8" X 20' Solid by Hancor Inc. for $36.99 in Pipe - Tubing - Pipe - Fittings - Plumbing - Hardware : Rural King

Be creative and find a remnant. All you need is 30" or more and once you cut it in half, you can have his and hers.

Here is the finished product...

View attachment 1209363

View attachment 1209366

005.jpg

Is it ugly? Yep. Does it work? You'll be amazed. All you gotta do is fully submerge it in a fast flow, anchor it down with a little bit of drop, feed it and keep an eye on the level of your cons. Dump as needed. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions