Comments, opinions on BRAWN 48" sluice design.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For quite some time now, I've been a great fan and user of an Angus MacKirk Eureka sluice. Great design, but has minor drawbacks. I've happened onto a web site from Gold Bar, WA, called Prospectors Plus. Would like to get feedback and/or opinions on the Brawn 48" louvre sluice, before I sink about $150 plus S&H. I thought I'd better solicit some experienced user feedback before, not after the purchase.

BRAWN 48" FLARED LOUVRE RIFFLE SLUICE | Prospectors Plus LLC

MDBBM0JGNkExMDc5M0I3QUUwODM6MmYyNjQ5NDhlZGVlNzI4MWQ1MjZhYmZkMDY2NTZhYTU6Ojo6OjA=

Thanks for your two cents.

Upvote 0

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We always used louvers like those to evacuate hot air from under the hoods of our hotrods. I just do not get how they could possibly work well. I have never used one with the louvers, but have used a Brawn sluice with expanded and carpet that catches gold very well.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Brawn drop riffles. Used them. I've seen those louvre models in Pville hardware, I've never seen one ran. The owner says guys in the club give it mixed reviews but, three guys with varying opinions doesn't qualify as mixed reviews maybe? I see how it could work. My concern would be turbulence and flow seems like if gold got moving it would keep moving. Also since its aluminium you would have to keep large rocks out I imagine they would dent the louvres

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used Brawn's sluice, but I made one about 15 years ago. Louvered sluices work extremely well. They will catch the fines.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the price is a little step if you already own a sluice. sheet metal shops could punch these louvers in a piece of alum that size for LESS than the cost of their setup! But thanks for the idea!

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
far too much space between the collection areas for my gusto and the openings are very small,i guess they loose gold.
The shape of the riffles is very good for the fines it just takes more per square feet and a bit bigger opening underneath the lip. .Look at post nr 90 in my thread,there,s a picture(the first one) of the expanded i use and it works very well .Needs quite a bit water though. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/433395-8-inch-gravity-sluicing-6.htmlunder

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Appreciate the feedback. I've decided that perhaps I might put my money into a Goldwell now that they are up-and-running. Have about a dozen or so spots that I've worked over with my 4" dredge, so, I'll fire up the GPS, my jetski powered jon boat, and go back to re-sluice my own tailings.

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might make a decent clean up tool... but as far as production goes you'd be better off panning imo. The one pictured doesn't look like much thought went into it, or testing for that matter.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a waste a space as the only recovery occurs in less than 5% of the space of the sluicebox. Get a real sluice and be a much wealthier miner as 100% recovery area systems rocks. John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of pictures I've seen of some OLD designs that were used when materials to make a regular sluice were not available. I've seen everything from blocks of wood to rocks set up in that pattern and none of them strike me as being efficient.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread