If you could, Would you?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the deal:

If you only had 1850-1890 tools, placed on a gold bearing creek, could you support yourself and survive?

More details after a few responses.

At today's cost of overhead and lack of availability of gold due to regulation and previous mining....probably not.

However, if you let me travel back in time to 1850, hell yeah!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro's got the right idea...but drop me back in 1890
so I can take advantage of an additional 40 years of tool
development....:laughing7:

You suggest "survive", and I could do that even without
prospecting, but to THRIVE ya need a few more creature
comforts about ya.

Much would depend on how much gold is in that creek,
plus how much competition there is for it.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did that back in 2010, got gold with the same type of basic tools (pry bars, shovel, bucket, gold pan{even though it was plastic}, sifter and the like. I must admit though I did cheat a little as I used my GMT to check the buckets of raw sample, if no signal then I did not work that dirt. So yes it can be done and is being done and I would be out there still IF I did not have to "work" for a living. Getting the gold was much harder than what I am employed at but I would much rather be "out there" doing that than being stuck in a city like I am.
Best of success to ya............................63bkpkr

At this time I am trying to stay in shape so that when I can I will be back out there. Up to 40 push ups, pumping a 35 lb bar bell, crunches, stretch's and doing my best to keep the weight off. Oh, and I'm almost 71.5 years of age.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you say that far back it also means no propane stoves, warmers , propane fridges, battery run flashlights, nice comfy tents with blow up mattresses, ice chests for food so no no no sounds like purgatory THEN add in all the permits, rules and regulations and no way jose-John

CO2

Sep 20, 2015
approx 1 mile high
Detector(s) used
12' corrugated plastic drainpipe, BGT Pro. 30
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: Will everybody be trying to steal my gold dust just like in the 1850s-1890s? Maybe I could make some money on the side by greasing up my hair and shoving other people's placer into it at the saloon. In your scenario do the hookers still cost three dollars?

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you say that far back it also means no propane stoves, warmers , propane fridges, battery run flashlights, nice comfy tents with blow up mattresses, ice chests for food so no no no sounds like purgatory THEN add in all the permits, rules and regulations and no way jose-John

My Dad and I were talking about that.. 4 or 5 hours out there and I'm pretty much done.. Those old timers couldn't hop in the Air Conditioned truck and go home to a frig full of food and cold beer.

It had to be miserable, packing in your water, packing in your food, no Air Conditioning. No deodorant, no clean clothes, no showers, I couldn't even imagine it..

I know Gold Fever is real, but I don't think I have it bad enough, or am desperate enough to do what they did way back when.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Awww Come on Bob! I spent four straight months out in the field when I moved up to Kingman. Once a month trip into town for "Beans and Bullets" and right back out. Granted I had a lot of comforts with me like a field shower, stove for hot meals etc but now days it's a blessing to be away from town and the normal peoples insanity.

Spending all that time out in the field prospecting was a great learning experience. It helped me to get a real handle on the local geology and clear the cobwebs out of my head. I only wish I had made the decision to turn pro a long time ago!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
In answer to Mikes question... I feel it would depend on just what type of terrain you were working. Logistics in the desert are a lot harder to take care of than say the Mother Lode area. The lack of water out here has spelled the doom of many mining endeavors over the years. This is one reason there are so many areas that still produce good gold in the desert. Even today we have to haul water in to most dig sites.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread reminds me of the other night, was at home watching back to the future 3 and was thinking if I were in the docs shoes, stuck in 1885.. Marty would find me deep in a mine rather than in town blacksmithing... And in the mine stashed inside the delorean would be bags of yella for my future self lol

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now for a few more details, The idea would be the basis for a TV show, and while I know in today's world a few modern comforts would have to be allowed. While a location has not yet been determined, and no one can guarantee gold, it would have water (probably safer to drink than most tap water). Each week the miner would come into "Town" and sell his gold to buy supplies. Provisions would be sold at the period prices as the gold would be too. The miner starts with the basic tools, pan, pick, shovel, bedroll(sleeping bag), hunting knife, and clothes. He could use his gold to buy whatever he needs for the next week and if the gold is good enough, he might buy a bath and a beer at the Town Hotel. We'll leave out the ladies for now. He might buy a plank of wood and nails to build a long tom that would increase his gold take. He could even buy a gun and some ammo for hunting. You get the idea.

It's kind of a cross between Gold Rush and Survivor.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the gold that the miner finds and sells (the method to use to keep his running total gold take) would be returned to him at the end of the season, or when the miner quits.

If he quits mid-season, another miner would take his place.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First line of business is to get a homestead built before mining. Small log shack, fireplace, and larder come first or history will repeat itself. Remember the first settlers here. They went out searching for all the gold the stories talked about, and didn't mind their chores! They starved to death!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd they all starved to death how do we know all the stories and legends

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread