Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So yesterday my mom reminded me I had a birthday coming up and what did I want? I told her I had a couple of things in mind and l'd get back to her.

Today was filled with good and bad Karma, stuff acting up, communications fouled. My laptop wouldn't connect to the internet and I found a bad cable. I have had problems with these cables before and they are impossible to find (you have to buy the booster to get the cable) but you get the idea. Low and behold the Radio Shack guy in the Ace Hardware store had one. Plugged it in, took it to a wifi place and Success! Then I got to thinking about what delnorter had said (thanks Mike) telling me about shrimp guns at our local True Value AND the fact Karen told me they just announced they were going out of business. So I headed over to hopefully get one while they are still open. I get there and there are no parking places. I finally find a spot, get closer and see a sign saying everything is 1/2 off in the store. The fishing tackle was already almost gone! I ask a guy to show me his shrimp guns and they had two left. Got the one for $17 including tax. Went back to Ace and the guy says "what cha gonna do with that sand dredge?"

I knew I was in the right place.8-) 5 bucks later I walk out with a combo extension/reducer to 1 inch. Cool huh?

So I set out to the lower river this eve to test it out. Found an awesome looking spot that I have never even seen before cuz the water is so low. 3 boulders with each 15x10x10 and nearly touching each other forming a key hole. There were two low points inside. One easy and one hard. Neither looked disturbed at all so I went to work on the easy one. Got a gallon in an hour...half an hour moving +1" rocks and another 1/2 hour slurping. I learned several things right away...

Press fit couplings get tighter in cold water. I broke the reducer trying to break it down for transport. I'll get 3 more tomorrow.

I need to replace the nut with a stainless steel wing nut and lock washer. Then no wrench required and infinitely adjustable on the fly.

When it stops getting material, it's time to move more +1" rocks.

It doesn't work real well w/o the reducer.

The lack of a one way valve means before you finish the stroke you have to raise the tip, keep pulling and raise the tip higher than the gun...otherwise it pours right back out.

It would be easy (and might even work) to add a one way valve, a Y and hose and fasten it to my homemade sluice. Slurp right into sluice and home to process. Thanks for the idea IdahoJake! :headbang:

It's kinda big for close quarters. Closed, the gun is 36" long by itself with a 2 1/2" intake. With the reducer/extension on the end, it tops out at 5'4" closed. I'm 6'2 so it fits good overall.

Just now got home, been going all out since eight, bushed but dying to know what's in the bucket. Just another sleepless night. I'll run it tomorrow...unless I go again.: thumbsup:

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Also just donated to Land Matters and Leigh is mailing my CA DVD tomorrow. Thanks to my 89 yo mom!:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Jeff! I recently got my first picker too. What a great feeling. Prospecting is about perseverance! Keep trying different things and honing the skills

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome story and picker!!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I couldn't find this when I posted so here's another shot. And yes, I picked it up with the shrimp gun.

001.jpg

Talked to Dizzy and he should be here around 8'ish tomorrow. Wed is looking good for an attack on the upper river. Lots of bedrock, giant sand bar on an inside bend, gold detector. Oh yeah :headbang: Mike is bringing his blue bowl too.

I went back to hole #1 in the lower river. The water had cleared up and I studied the hole for a bit before I started work because visibility is gone in 60 seconds once you start moving stuff. Turns out that layer was not clay. It was magnetic sand and a lot of it. Once I got past it...more rocks from ping pong to softball size. I finally quit digging when the water was up to my arm pit...the hole is beside bedrock but it just keeps going down. I will have to do something about cave ins too. Finished off with the shrimp gun. A few fines found out of a gallon but hope to bottom it out before the rains come.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey congratulations Jeff, that sure does look like the real thing.
I'm headed out with Jodie to look over some recently burned forest for deer hunting possibilities. Find a good spot and glass until dark.
Sounds like Dizzy Digger will be here Tuesday until? Is he in a camper? Staying in the park at your place? I will have to work but I'd like to at least meet him.
Mike

Hey Mike, I should be getting to Jeff's place sometime tomorrow evening.
Had planned to take off at midnight tonight so's I could miss the Seattle
and Portland morning traffic, but think I'd rather sleep good tonight and
head out in the AM. It's a 600 mile shot, so I've got a good 10 hrs. on
the road.

I had originally planned to head down to Redding on Friday, but had
to cancel that part as I didn't know if I could find someone to help
my wife while I was gone, but a friend of hers has offered to stay, so
now I can hang around till we get rained out, or Jeff gets tired of me.
Supposed to rain there Sat, but if it's just one day maybe we can
get out on Sunday? (providing Jeff hasn't given me the boot..:laughing7:)

Haven't hunted in years, but have taken several deer with my old
longbow. Good luck on the deer hunting..:occasion14:

Jeff, everything ready to go, and all I need to do now is load the truck
in the morning. I'll be on the road by 8.

It's my Gold Cube that I'm bringing..don't have a blue bowl..:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread